Hunter,Halter,and feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
In Hunter,would a horse lose points for over jumping,like Ive seen pictures of Hunters,and they're jumping about 2-3 times the height of the jump.Is that ok?Would the Madeline,or Duke halters on minitack.com be ok to use in Halter and Showmanship,or just Halter?How much does it cost to register your mini as a Pinto?What do you recommend to be a good sized pen/pasture for a show mini?A drylot,on grass,or a combination?How about a 1/2 acre of grass?Thanks for any help!
default_yes.gif
:

In Hunter,would a horse lose points for over jumping,like Ive seen pictures of Hunters,and they're jumping about 2-3 times the height of the jump.Is that ok?

Though impressive looking, over jumping is not good in hunter. It is a waste of the horse's energy. It is not penalized like bucking or breaking gaits, but a horse with good hunter form will not need to over jump in order to clear the jump. It is often seen in younger horses who are still somewhat insecure or with horses that do not have a good bascule so they compensate by over jumping.

I thought it probably wasn't a good thing,but I wasnt sure if it would cause you to lose points or not.So,it wouldnt lose points,but its still not good right?

To register a mini with Pinto, the rates vary depending on the age of the mini and whether or not they have AMHA or AMHR papers, and whether or not you are a member of Pinto. They can be as little as $20 for a weanling within 6 months of foaling, to $65 for a 2 year old or older. Plus either $25 to join or $50 if you are a non-member (right - you might as well join!). That assumes you have papers; if not, it says $100 for an undocumented mare or gelding. These fees are as listed in the 2005-2006 Rule Book. Check www.pinto.org for more info and the actual registration forms. Pinto shows are a great place to show your minis, especially if you want to do performance classes.

Thanks,I'll have to check that out.
default_smile.png
Also,is there a way we can save stuff on here?Like if we find something really interesting,and want to keep that were we can find it easily is there some way to save it,or send it to a folder or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you do to excercise your horses,and get them in show condition?Like do you spend 20 minutes a day 5 days a week,etc,and what do you do?Do you do a variety of workouts to keep it interesting,like one day go for a walk,next day 10 mins of jumping,then some showmanship,and next day some obstacles to help keep it interesting,while the horse is learning,and excersising?

What do you do to excercise your horses,and get them in show condition?Like do you spend 20 minutes a day 5 days a week,etc,and what do you do?Do you do a variety of workouts to keep it interesting,like one day go for a walk,next day 10 mins of jumping,then some showmanship,and next day some obstacles to help keep it interesting,while the horse is learning,and excersising?

Yes, variety is always good! Change things frequently and never work your horse beyond the level he is capable of.

As far as "loosing points" in hunter, your horse's score will be lower if he over-jumps. Since AMHA and AMHR have no set scoring system, there is no way to say "It will be five points lower" or "You will loose 2 points for every jump over-jumped". It is not like jumper where you have set amount of faults so it is a bit harder to describe.
default_sad.png
Judges have to use their own scoring system. Many use a 70 point system. It was recently described in horse illustrated and I wish I had a copy of the article. A decent horse may start at 50 and go up or down from there. An excellent hunter would likely have a score in the 60s. That article showed all the short hand notations the judges wrote down as your horse goes through the course. It was an excellent article. You may try contacting Horse Illustrated to see if you could get a copy of that article. I don't remember which month that was, but I saw it at a friend's house. It must have been June or July.

Latest posts

Back