Hunter and Halter Obstacle Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driving Miss Dixie

Reaction score
I am wondering what kind of halter is used for jumping and halter obstacle classes. Do you need a longer lead for the jumping class? I have been searching, but not finding a lot of information on this.

I use a western style show halter, or a beta/bio halter without a chain; and yes, with a longer lead. I see lots of photos of horses jumping etc...with the Arabian style halters, with chains, and cannot think for a moment that they aren't being uneccessarily bumped in the jaw every time they take off and land. Even with a chin strap to prevent that, the narrowness of the halter over the poll adds another "ouchie" spot; especially if they stumble or pull back. IMO, the little cable show halters belong in the halter ring only.

Read the rule book for whatever association you are showing under. This is critical - and make sure you know the updates too. For example, the Pinto Association rules specify that in hunter you must use a PLAIN LEATHER halter (not nylon and no "bling"). About half the class at a recent show would have been disqualified if the rest of us hadn't taken pity and removed our horses' halters in the ring and swapped!

So I always use a plain leather barn-style halter, with a leather lead and a stud chain under the chin like you would use for showmanship. (In Western showmanship I might use one with silver, but the plain one for English showmanship and everything else). My lead might be 6 feet not 4 feet, but no longer than that. Your horse should be jumping the middle of the jumps which are (in Pinto) 5 feet wide, so even a 4 foot lead should be long enough.

Same here as Targetsmom, for Hunter I use a plain leather, with a plain leather lead. I don't use chains on the nose, although I have used a chain in the past for one horse who needed it. Otherwise, I don't like using the chain, too easy to bump them. I do have one horse that I think I will use a silver accented western style halter on for hunter next year - she uses her front end exceptionally well in hunter (she's really square and very scopey) and I want to draw attention to her front end for that reason, and I think the silver halter will do that.

I have pics on my website (www.4railranch.com) showing us jumping, if you want to see what I mean (click on J Jay) - she's the one I want to go to a silver halter for. I have the lead what I consider too short there - I'm too close ot her head and pulling her to my side of the jump instead of letting her go to the middle of the jump. But her front end form and scope are wonderful. On Tango's page you can see she's closer to the center of the jump, but I'm running out of lead - that's a 4 foot lead. (I changed leads after seeing pics from that show).

I don't like a 4 foot - if your jumps are 5 feet wide, that's 2 1/2 feet there, leaving you only 18 inches from the standard to your right hand, and across to your left hand, which is pretty short. (I think it looks cleaner using 2 hands). Even if you only use 1 hand, if you "overlift" your hand over the standard, it's fairly easy to "bump" them. We actually practice with a 9 foot, so I can "throw them away" if I need to, and to work on keeping them away from me and into the center of the jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too prefer the Western type halter for jumper & hunter (even obstacle). However, I have used the show halter in a pinch. For instance if you do Versatility where you drive, show at halter and then jump you don't have time to change halters. If I use the "show" type halter I always clip the lead on to the chain AND the side ring (I only use closed ring) of the halter so the chain doesn't bump them. Even using the Western haler I never use the chain lead. I always use a clip on lead and I'll bet mine isn't more than 4'. My mare has no problem as she stays with me but my (now ex) stallion wants to go fast and will sometimes get ahead so that lead can be a problem with him.

Chain or no chain if you bump them with the halter it will get them out of position and you won't have a good performance. If you do tend to bump them then for sure don't use a chain. I use the same exact western show halter that I use for showmanship, I also use a chain but I try and give them plenty of lead so it doesn't make contact with the horse. I personally like the chain underneath the chin myself as it gives it a nice touch but thats just me.

Technaically like what the PtHA does showing in a plain leather halter with a leather lead would be more correct to show in a hunter class and would work just fine for halter obstacle.

Latest posts

Back