How is your garden this year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a dairy farmer and therefore have an unlimited supply of 55 gallon drums (woo teat dip!). I cut a few in half and now have a gigantic container garden!

In 2 small calf buckets, I have herbs. One has parsley and chives, the other has basil, oregano (my favorite) and thyme.

I have 5 buckets of patio tomatoes, they are on my steps. Looks pretty cool, also have a bucket with a raspberry bush on the porch.

Then, I have 1.5 containers of cukes, and 1.5 containers of squash. Another container is half lettuce, half Kale (my other favorite!). Hoping to fill the other containers with some zucchini, broccoli, and melons. Thinking of putting a small sweet corn plot in the middle of the lawn where the calf "kennel" used to be (don't ask, had a little bottle fed beef operation all winter in the negative temps!). The benefits of having a hound dog is he'll keep the critters away from it all!

Sounds like you will have quite a harvest in your containers!

I am trying a new crop this year--parsnips. They are looking beautiful. I had to thin a couple and they were so cute, like little white carrots. They are not harvested until late fall. The foliage is so pretty in the garden.

After the rain we have sunshine! The garden is filling in. Yesterday I saw a tomato beginning to turn and the yard long beans are blooming. It is nice to have fresh onions and potatoes. Planted more Tom Thumb lettuce. That is a great variety for Oklahoma.

We're letting our big garden plot go fallow this year........but we are doing some straw bales and tomatoes in containers. We have potatoes growing in the corner of our back yard and in the straw bales we have onions, zuchs, crooked neck squash, and cucumbers. All are blooming, the potatoes are sprouting.....Hopefully the predicted super hot temps don't burn everything up!

I have cucumbers in a container and a bale...citrons in a bale; also pumpkin and beans. Tomatoes are all in containers. Squash and zucchini are in containers. Green zucchini came up well but the yellow ones are slow/sparse. Potatoes are in small modified beds and two are growing in a bale

There will be no fruit crop here--the fruit tree blossoms all froze so there will be no Saskatoon or chokecherries and likely no apples either.

started a garden for the first time this year. Some of the plants are not liking all the rain we have been having, but others are liking it. Had something attack my broccoli plants and took the leaves completely off but no other plant. Only thing I can think it is its possibly japanese beetles because there is nothing out there when I go to dust the plants and they like to munch on the leaves of the grape vines we have near by.

Had to move my cilantro to inside to grow because the massive rain storms have just killed my original plant ugh.

A friend of mine started a page on Facebook called "Central Oregon Giving Gardens". Nothing is sold, it's all about trading or giving. Thought it was a wonderful idea.

I got our tomato starts that way....FREE. I offered the woman some eggs from our hens, but she declined.

Sorry... had to giggle at MiniNHF's problems with cilantro. My cilantro patch is about to the point where I'm going to have to take the weed-whacker to it again. I too have been having problems with the brassicas this year though.... not sure why.

But.... with our hot summer, hopefully we might get corn!!!

Our garden is progressing well, I started canning and freezing last week. So far I've put up snap beans, string beans, tomatoes, black eye peas and purple hull peas. I am really enjoying the fresh veggie stir fries I've been having,,,it's heaven! I fixed fresh creamed corn last night for the first time this year. The garden is now a little more demanding since the rain is now intermittent and the heat is like heck fire.

I forgot to ever post my pics...these are from about 10 days ago, so it's grown quite a bit since then. Certainly not to a canning stage, but it's only been planted less than a month and some was started from seed, I'm in MI so we had frost up until the end of May. We have eaten green onions and radishes though. Everything is doing very well and since these pics our cucumbers and beans have latched on to the fence and are climbing. This is our first year for boxes and although it's now a smaller planting area we actually can plant more which is nice. We have 4 boxes, they are 8' x 4'. We plan to add two more next year. I would love to have all the stuff planted you all have posted but our growing season is so short and working and taking care of two houses doesn't leave me a whole lot of time. We have numerous types of peppers, tomatoes, bush and climbing beans, cilantro, green onions, radishes, swiss chard, brusel sprouts (which is the only thing that isn't growing good). We also have zucchini planted in the ground (just 3 plants) and a large strawberry patch (which is done already).

Ok, I can't figure out how to post pics from my iPad. I'm going to post this and try on another post so I don't lose everything I've typed.

Green onions Marsha...I guess we have some eggplant in there too somewhere. My husband is the garden enthusiast, I'm just along for the ride...I'm too busy.

I was pleased that the boxes look nice since they are in the front yard...our front and back yard is all trees and believe it or not this area gets the most sun, just happened to be shady at the time I took the pics. This is actually our camp and we are only here a couple days a week so we have our irrigation system on a timer...it's been so rainy lately we haven't even had to turn it on.

Wow your boxes turned out awesome and everything looks so nice! beautiful scenery there.

Sorry... had to giggle at MiniNHF's problems with cilantro. My cilantro patch is about to the point where I'm going to have to take the weed-whacker to it again. I too have been having problems with the brassicas this year though.... not sure why.

But.... with our hot summer, hopefully we might get corn!!!
haha yeah, we are getting so much rain here some of my plants gave up :/ but its almost a good thing because the others are growing wild and would have easily taken them over. At least I know what I need to do for next year as far as positioning.

Figured it out:
Very nice setup
default_smile.png

okay I have to ask this question how do you all deal with squash, cucumbers etc that are like creeping vines. I had no idea how out of control they can be so I need a better solution for next year if anyone has any suggestions.

I plant vines in a place where it doesn't matter--edge of the garden--and just let them creep where they will--into the trees by the garden, or across the lawn.

Latest posts

Back