How would this dutch colt do ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letsdunit

Reaction score
I was just wondering how this Dutch little guy would do in America ?

He is an appaloosa with 2 bright blue eyes. Blue eyes are not allowed in our appaloosa studbook.

hengstencreamy1jpg7gs.jpg
p10101067sp.jpg

p10101099rk.jpg
p10101245kr.jpg

hengstencreamy2jpg2ku.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know BUT BOY I SURE LIKE HIM :new_shocked: he is very striking and has AWESOME eyes with the "liner" look I love!!! Does he want to become a Canadian Citizen???? :lol:

OH HES BEEEEUTIFUL, ID LOVE HIM, HE COULD BE THE NEW FLAT SLANLEY WE COULD ALL USE HIM LOL :bgrin

[SIZE=14pt]I think he's very attractive..... why are blue eyes not allowed???[/SIZE]

Lyn

blue eyes are not an appy trait. pretty much a pinto/overo trait and most appy associations only want appy genes not anything mixed with pinto. this guy looks like hes got a big white blaze so is probably a pintalossa.

kay

[SIZE=12pt]Wow hes a pretty lil man...sry handsome
default_wub.png
: he looks full of personality also!!To bad hes not aloud in ur stud book
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

Are miniatures allowed in your Appaloosa stud book?
If they are appy's
default_yes.gif
:

In the Netherlands there are different heights recognised in the Appaloosa studbook. So they kind of have their own mini-appaloosa division. A lot of those mini's are registered in the Dutch Miniature Horse Registery as well.

I don't think blue eyes are due to a pinto gene. I will keep looking, but this is what I have found so far:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb20...76183.Zo.r.html

Here are two websites from which I borrowed this information:

http://www.champagnehorses.com/what_champagne_is-not.htm

http://www.champagne-horse-assoc.org/ichr_index.htm

Apparently, blue eyes in horses is often related to the horse having the

Champagne color modifying gene..or, possibly, one of the other

dilution-type genes. So, the rarity of horses having blue eyes might relate

to the rarity of dilution-type genes among the population of horses.

Genes are passed from the parents to the child; the champagne gene is

a dominant, dilution-type gene.

* "Dominant means that if it is present, it will manifest fully. A horse with

one Champagne gene looks no different from a horse with two

Champagne genes.

* Dilution means that it doesn't change the color of the horse, but lightens

the skin color...making the color "diluted". Dilution also affects eye color.

Champagne is ONE of the FOUR known dilution genes in horses. The

others are Creme (that makes Palomino, Buckskin, etc.); Dun; and Silver

Dapple.

Champagne is currently found primarily in Tennessee Walking Horses,

Missouri Foxtrotters, American Saddlebreds and Quarter Horses - also in

crosses and related breeds (Appaloosa, Paint, Part-Arabians, etc.).

The Champagne gene seems to function in many ways aside from simply

diluting a horse's coat color ... it also affects skin and eye color. Because

the Champagne gene is a simple dominant, your horse MUST have at

least one Champagne parent in order to be a Champagne!

Champagnes are born with bright pink skin and bright blue eyes that take

a long time to change, but usually become hazel or amber by adulthood.

Some [other] dilutes are also born with bluish eyes, but, again, these

begin to change rapidly instead of the slow change that Champagnes do.

His blue eyes are from splash, his daddy has a big blaze and brown eyes but has trown more blue eyed baby´s with blazes.

And yes the dutch appaloosa doesn´t allow them because of pinto genes, but also some people are old fashioned and think blue eyes are blind, bad and that they can´t see with them, alot of the older breeders here think that way.

Loren&Rocky, blue eyes are now commonly believed to be caused by splash and frame overo, so yes they are caused by pinto patterns.

Champagnes are born with blue eyes but they change color later, this is totally different, double dilutes also have blue eyes but is also different.

Are you still thinking about selling him Tamara?

Maybe someone here has a nice grullo colt so you can trade. :bgrin

(Tamara is an grullo collector.
default_yes.gif
: )

Just curious... we import quite some horses from the USA, wonder if it happens the other way around too?

Yeah boy I don't know about you but I think this guy would do WONDERS in the USA!!! I'll take him in for free if you would like :bgrin

I personally just LOVE blue eyes, and I recently learned from The Appaloosa Project group that I am a part of, that blue eyes are not ALWAYS an indicator of pinto. Believe it or not, blue eyes sometimes just "happen" during the miracle of cell separation and designation (who's going to be what color and what part of the body). It is a very strong factor that pinto's carry the blue eye gene and pass it on a lot and it is proven so more people live by the pinto rule than anything else, but it is true that blue eyes can just "happen".

If this colt's sire is pintoloosa well we know his eyes are pinto blue then =)

[SIZE=14pt]My trainer Bruce Abbott has a horse that was imported from England.... his little stallion Toyhorse Limelight is resgistered in the brittish stud books as a miniature shetland. He is 29 inches tall. So yes they do or did import here. I exported a stallion to South Africa 5 years ago.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=18pt]Lyn do you know how old he is?? I'd like to look him up. He will be registered, if he is, as a Shetland- the book is not discriminatory about size- they are all Shetlands, whatever
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back