How to weigh feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I never thought of a digital scale. We bought a hanging scale at Farm & Home for about $12. We hung it permanently in the barn and use a flat feed bucket hanging from a rope to weigh our feed. I weigh hay each and every feeding so its easier to have it hanging right by the hay. The boys know the sound of the scale and get real happy when they hear it.
default_smile.png

We've got two "baby scales" which I picked up for about $3.00 each at garage sales and second-hand stores. These are the old scales used to weigh infants years ago. Very accurate, and larger than the digital scale. We bought a digital scale, too, but it just didn't stand up to cold temperatures in the barn in winter.

We use a flat rubbermaid storage top, calibrating the scale for that weight. Then lay the hay or grain on top. Yes, our horses are used to having their dinner served on a tray!
default_smile.png

I also use a baby scale, I hate to admit it, but it is the baby scales my mother had for us kids....so it is old, very accurate and works well for measuring feed by the good old fashioned pounds, plus is great for weighing puppies, and kittens too!!!

Don't laugh, but any concentrates or cubes, I measure out a scoop or measuring cup, bag it, and ask the clerk that I know at the local mini mart to weigh it in the deli. If I know how much one scoop weighs, I can accurately feed my horses by using that as a base measurement.

Latest posts

Back