How to weigh feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I am wanting to be more accurate when feeding Melody and I have heard you guys talk about little scales that you use to weigh the hay and pellets with. Are they specifically for weighing feed? Or is this something I can buy at target or walmart :DOH!

Also, have you guys heard of chopped hay before? I called Tractor supply to see if they have alfalfa/timothy cubes and they do but he also said they have it in a chopped hay form too
default_unsure.png
So now I don't know which one to get. I wouldn't think I would need to soak the chopped hay right?

I want to add some alfalfa to Melody's diet to try and help with ulcers (since they are treating her for ulcers).

Thanks so much!!!!!

Hi Brandi.

I ahve heard of the chopped hay, but Ive just never tried it. My horses really dont need any extras like that.You'll probabally just have to expirament with it and see what works good for you and Melody.

The feed scales differ. You can buy big expensive ones that work great, but the little cheap ones work just as good!
default_wink.png
You can go pretty much anywhere to buy them i.e. walmart target. I haerd somewhere that people bought one from a fishing supply supple store.

Good luck and Im so glad Melody is felling better!
default_smile.png

Brandi, First off im glad Brandi is doing better! The scales I use are actually food scales, I think you could pick them up at walmart or a kitchen store. Also they say the chopped hay is very good for minis. It is easier to chew. I have not used it but was considering it when one of my dwarfs choked. But since I got her teeth done I have not had a problem. I do know quite a few mini people do use it. Lorie

I use my digital postal scale to weigh my hard feeds (grains, pellets, cubes) and I have a digital hanging fish scale for weighing hay (I got both off eBay, but you can probably find them at places like Walmart or Target).

I've also read that some people have used baby scales for weighing feed.

I've used chopped forage a couple times, I really liked it, but its a bit pricey; at least compared to what I pay for baled hay (I buy a little bit, and we grow quite a bit of our own, although, the majority of our own is cow hay). I didn't soak the chopped hay and they really liked. [The particular brand I bought; an 8 qt bucket filled was about 5# of chopped hay.]

I bought a digital kitchen scale from walmart or target, dont' remember, but worth the $30 I spent on it. For hay I have a hanging 65 lb. scale.

I have a digital postal scale also. I bought it off a web-site....just can't remember the name, :DOH! it's been a few years. It was around $50 but I love it! It has a flat weighing surface so I use an oversize cookie pan and then zero it out. Works great for hay and grains. My horses aren't so fat anymore either!
default_biggrin.png

I use both a digital and a very cheap analog scale, both from WalMart. I use a kitty litter pan as the 'bowl' Set the pan on top of the scale and calibrate it to '0'. Then put in the hay or concentrate product.

And right now I'm using the chopped Tomothy/Alfalfa from Tractor Supply (TNT brand) only problem is they said they were out and not going to get any more for a while. I use it as a treat and just to supplement the baled hay I feed as the horses eat it REAL fast.....reeeeealy like it!

I also just got a bag of Timothy/Orchard grass...chopped hay from another feed store and am getting ready to try it. Just remember, these products have a bit of molasses added to control dust so figure that in your feeding plan.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went and bought the chopped hay. Is there enough molasses to upset a sensitive horses stomach? I have heard grain is hard on the GI tract and it has molasses. . Do the "cubes" have molasses? Maybe I should have went with the cubes? I know I need to introduce the feed slowly but I am trying to feed her something that might help with the ulcers, not make them worse. If the molasses in the chopped hay significant, maybe I shouldn't feed it?

If it is a sealed bag and the chopped hay is laced with molasses - it doesn't have hardly any on it, just to keep it from spoiling in the sealed bag. Curious is it Chaffhaye?

If it is a moist chopped hay - you have to take care of that bag of hay, it will spoil really quick.

If it is a dried chopped hay you are good to go! I would still wet it down.

Alfalfa hay cubes are only alfalfa hay cubes. Nothing added.

It is a sealed bag from Tractor Supply. It is the T&T brand. How do I know if it is a "moist" chopped hay? Does it say on the bag? Thanks!

If it is a sealed bag and the chopped hay is laced with molasses - it doesn't have hardly any on it, just to keep it from spoiling in the sealed bag. Curious is it Chaffhaye?

If it is a moist chopped hay - you have to take care of that bag of hay, it will spoil really quick.

If it is a dried chopped hay you are good to go! I would still wet it down.

Alfalfa hay cubes are only alfalfa hay cubes. Nothing added.

T & T is a dry hay. not moist.

If I were looking for feeds for an ulcer horse I'd go with the straight alfalfa products, cubes, chopped& bagged alfalfa or baled alfalfa.

The T & T is grass and alfalfa + a bit of molasses. Wouldn't be my first choice for ulcers, but might be ok. you might have to try it.

Charlotte

Thanks! I think I will go get the cubes. That way I I know I am safe
default_wink.png

T & T is a dry hay. not moist.

If I were looking for feeds for an ulcer horse I'd go with the straight alfalfa products, cubes, chopped& bagged alfalfa or baled alfalfa.

The T & T is grass and alfalfa + a bit of molasses. Wouldn't be my first choice for ulcers, but might be ok. you might have to try it.

Charlotte

I use a digital postal scale I got off of eBay. I've bought most of mine from the same seller. There is also a website, My Weigh Scales. They have good prices for all sizes of digital scales.

Minimule, would you be willing to give a price range for those scales? I'm always looking for 'better'.
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

I use a postal scale from Staples $13.00

Put the amount of grain in a zip lock bag and weight it.

We use a kitchen scale. Place a Rubbermaid dish tub on it and calibrate to "0", like Charlotte. You can put grain in the tub, and/or flakes of hay.........Works great!

The chopped hay I've gotten around here always has molasses on it. If you are trying to avoid molasses, I would have gone with the alfalfa pellets or cubes. Sorry I didn't catch this quicker or I would have said something
default_smile.png
!

We bought a digital scale for weighing fish in the fishing section of Walmart. I was very inexpensive. We hung it in our feed shed, and it has a hook to hang the fish on I guess. Well, we hang a bucket on it, and weigh our hay cubes that way.

Jessi

We've got two "baby scales" which I picked up for about $3.00 each at garage sales and second-hand stores. These are the old scales used to weigh infants years ago. Very accurate, and larger than the digital scale. We bought a digital scale, too, but it just didn't stand up to cold temperatures in the barn in winter.

We use a flat rubbermaid storage top, calibrating the scale for that weight. Then lay the hay or grain on top. Yes, our horses are used to having their dinner served on a tray!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back