How to tell if pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisforme

Reaction score
Okay, so again, I am new to minis... I purchased a mare that was exposed to a stallion. (I was told she was in foal) However, she's nearing her due date, and she's not big at all. Doesn't look the least bit pregnant. I have a vet coming out on Tuesday. Would you have him do a palpatation or an ultrasound?

I don't want to harm the baby if there is one!!

The vet should be able to palpatate and not harm the foal. Palpatating would be a good option for a first opinion... You could also ask for an ultrasound just to confirm that there is a foal there. She may not be as far along as you think she is, especially if she's been pasture bred!
default_smile.png

If you have a choice, I would lean toward having an ultra-sound done......it's the least invasive.

MA

What do you mean by "if i have a choice??"

I will do whatever I need to!!

I would also ultra sound. I had a mare palpated 2 years ago and she ended up with a rectal tear. That was the WORST month of my life. A rectal tear is a life threatening thing. They can bleed out, get a terrible infection... It was AWFUL!!! Now I only do ultra sounds. My vet does them externally and we don't have any trouble spotting the little babies. In fact they look kind of like little seahorses :bgrin

Latest posts

Back