How to settle him down?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latika

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have started showing my stallion again after over 12months break, he is now 3yrs old, and has served a few mares.

At home and while serving he is a perfect gentleman, I can even lead my filly through his yard and he doesnt even look up!

BUT ... at shows he is a real MAN. if anything comes within a metre of his "personal space" he rears and screams, it doesnt matter if they are mares stallions or geldings, other mini's or massive clydesdales!

I had him at our 3rd show this year yesterday, and once he comes out into view of the other horses he arches up and jumps & screams, he isnt out of control, but just lets everyone know he is there, he stops when i tell him off, but then does it again & again.

I am not concerned with anybodies safety, as i said, he isnt out of control, but just loud and stalliony. and he does rear ALOT - but only at shows (never at home).

I am just concerned as I over heard some people whispering that he should be disciplined and "i'd never let my stallion do that" and "she shouldnt have him out behaving that way" ... what can I do to calm him down? I keep him away from other horses as much as possible but its unavoidable sometimes... I am just worried that people will bad mouth him (as he does quite well and may be considered a threat to some). I dont want any mare owners to overlook him as a breeding prospect either, as his temperament really is calm at home :eek:

Any advice is welcome!!

Hi :saludando:

My boy was like that at the start of the season, I just kept at him and took him to lots of places where lots of horses would be and he has now settled right down. It just takes them a while to get over the excitement if they havent been shown alot.
default_smile.png

Hope this helps

If he carried on like this at home, what would you do? I'm assuming you would discipline him on the spot, no worries about anyone seeing you and speaking negatively about that discipline. If so, you are going to have to do exactly the same thing at a show. When he starts to rear and holler & scream, get after him, and make him know you mean business.

Right now he knows the difference between home & show. Home means he can't get away with things; show mean he can get away with things because you don't want to discipline him in public--and as long as he believes that, he is going to keep right on doing what he's doing at the shows. He needs to learn that in public--especially in public!--he needs to mind his manners and be quiet--that you will "get him" regardless of where he is or who might be watching.

Thanks everyone,

Minimor, your right that at home i would discipline him on the spot, but he very rarely does anything like it at home, never has! he occasionally gets noisy when he is near the other big horses, but no where near the extent he is at shows. I even tried "teasing" him with my new mini mare - and he just ignores her!!!

here is proof : My attempt at teasing him (filly not in season)

Tam013.jpg

LOL - he prefers the grass!

I do discipline him at the shows, although probably not quite to the same extent as I would at home. At the last show I showed without a whip, and yesterday I showed with it - and yes I use it when I have to - but seemed to make no difference, he stops, and will behave until another horse comes by him too close and he does it again!

Barnbum - I was told vicks is swabable? If so I wouldnt want to risk it... I'm sure smell plays a big part, but I think it is mostly when he see's them, as I had him tied out of sight and he was calm for over an hour, soon as I bought him out and he saw them he started up! Oh, and he loves it, when he is screaming & rearing its not in a nasty way at all - just all showing off i think...

Sammyelle, I hope your right, and the more he goes out the more it will become not such a big deal for him, he has always been my only mini aswell (until recently) so the shows were the only tiime he saw other littley's, it's probably just all too much excitement for him.

Thanks for all your advise guys! I appreciate it. By the way, he is always well behaved in the ring & workout, and placed reserve champ yesterday! (pic below)
default_wub.png
:

Sabaar02.jpg

What a handsome guy! Congrats on your wins yesterday.

I have no advice, but I wish you luck! :aktion033:

Congratulations on your win!

I also think he's just realized that he can get away with "more" out in public than when he's in the privacy of his own home :bgrin You probably will need to get after him at the shows as you would at home and then he'll realize he is expected to behave
default_yes.gif
:

I think alot of times with a young stallion you cant compare home to public (although I do agree horses learn quick they can get away with stuff in the ring since you cant smack them right then and there in the line up)

His hormones are already raging and then he is taken out with other mares, new smells , other stallions, mares in season it is a lot to take in for a stallion

I really think just alot of exposure will really make a difference maybe take him to shows where you are not showing at just so you have the time and no pressure(to get him ready ect) to take him around show him everything and really have all the time in the world to make him get over himself.

I think once he realizes that no one gets to breed he is not there to scout out new mares or fight off any other stallions that might have there eye on a mare, or strut around like a peacock so all knows he has arrived lol he will start to quiet down.

I always just liken them to teenagers who often alone or in a small group of one or 2 familiar friends are one way but get them in a large group of other teens all with insecurities and raging hormones and well what you get is drama drama drama
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back