How to get your mini to stand in certain position (and what size of show halter?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to teach my miniature to arch her neck over when shes standing square. If I use a treat or something she'd probably do it for a second but won't stay still. How do I get her to hold a position while be judged/standing there or if I'm taking a pic of her?

Also, I'm looking to buy her a show halter. She's a Size B halter. What size should I get her for a show halter? Medium? She's almost 35 inches and she'll be 3 in July. Thanks!

Hi! I taught Jazzy and Devil to stand on the cue "set". Now, at first they won't understand. You have to place their feet where you want them, but then they will get it. Then, once they are in the right place, tell them to woah, or I tell mine set. I make them stand for a while in that position before I reward them. Once they master that, I then work in arching their neck. Once they know that they can't move, it's really easy to make them arch their neck. Start by holding food ( I use grain ) in front of their noses. Once they touch my hand, I give them the treat. The more and more we practice, the farther I put my hand out. Along with that, I give them the cue "touch" for them to touch my hand. Hope this helps! Sorry for any typos, I'm using my iPhone since my computer is acting up
default_smile.png

Interesting topic... showing dogs, I recognized many similarities with 'stacked' minis - except, LOTS of extended heads rather than arched necks with nose more down. I wondered about that... seemed like the horse looks a LOT more impressive essentially 'stacked' like correct dogs (and like many photos show on breeders' websites vs. actual show shots).

Latest posts

Back