How to De-Sensitize a Mini for Future Parades?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
Maybe it's too soon to ask, as I'm still training Jazzy. I am hoping to make him my pleasure driving horse, one I can hook up and go anywhere, but I don't have that much confidence, I like staying in the pasture LOL! But for in the future, I would like to know how to start de-spooking him for parades, but not night ones, we aren't allowed to do any horse things at night parades where we live. Even if we were going to be driving in a parade, my best friend agreed to help me with leading them on the side while I'm driving, so if he spooked, she would help me settle him down. He's a really sweet boy, and trusts me to go over strange puddles and tarps and stuff like that. I just dont know if he would act the same while in harness. I don't know, time will tell I guess. I have another driving horse, Bentley, but he is a hard one to control when he is excited in harness. He has been in a parade before, and fire trucks were behind him all the way through, but I was leading him in hand...what are ya'lls thoughts? I just noticed I kind of rambled on sorry
default_smile.png

For the first parade, I'd suggest leading or ground driving him. This would give you an idea of how he will handle it and you would also be desensitizing him. Our 2 Minis have had a lot of de-sensitizing, have been shown for years and exposed to a lot. They all react differently to these scary noises and excitement and people/crowds, etc. One of our did great and although took everything in with wide eyes, was pretty relaxed. Our other gelding (that has been exposed to more things) wasn't overly thrilled. Even though he did fairly well, I was glad to not be in a cart with him in this sitatuation.

I think the best way to get a horse used to all sorts of things is by going for walks in hand. Go where there is traffic. Take him to town and walk on the streets. Invite strangers to walk up and touch him. Get him used to pavement and those scary tar lines running across the pavement. Grates, trash bins, barking dogs. Hang things on him; I usually pick up litter on our walks and I tie the plastic litter bag to the halter or the terrets if we are ground driving. Kick tin cans. If I get hot, I tie my coat around his neck. Take him up sidewalks. Alleys are great, as they are usually full of scary things.

When walking in town, take a plastic bag to pick up poo; town folk do not usually appreciate those little horse presents.

My rural road where we walk has wonderful distractions, such as heavy farm equipment, motorcycles, inconsiderate teen drivers, leaping deer... By the time we get to town to walk, the main thing he needs is having strangers come up.

Parades will be no big deal.

Walking in-hand will expose them to the sounds which is good but it will still be different when they are in harness with blinders on. Then the best thing would be to have that extra person walking with you IF you get into trouble.

I know my horses pretty well and (yes, even at my age) can still jump into and out of the cart easily so I take them everywhere at different hours for parades. Horses like being in a group - duh. For example if you are walking, even in your cart, with other horses being walked in-hand, your horse feels more at ease. Take that same calm horse and try to make him travel a dark road by himself and you may have a whole DIFFERNENT experience.

My point is you can expose them to lots of difference sounds and experiences but you can NEVER be 100 % sure what might happen. You just need to be ready for all things. Mostly relax and have fun. They pick up your tenseness or relaxation even thru the reins and multiply that with their own reactions.

Take him to a shopping center..I'm lucky,I have my Mini 4 doors down from our grocery store and take him often.I've also ground drove him there..I have also lead him in the parade twice..I've done the same when I was showing dogs..They start looking forward to all the attention..

That sounds great to take them to things like shopping malls, but I worry about liability. Since the very reason you are taking the mini to these places is to get them used to things, and you don't know how they will react, I would worry about opening up a liability can of worms if someone got hurt. Especially if it was a "stupid" non-horseperson, e.g. kid, who doesn't know better and before you know it, you've got a kid knocked down.

I have umbrella insurance but is this putting yourself at risk?

This is why I've been hesitant to try for therapy training--where can I go to get the exposure for what they would experience in those situations when I don't know how they will react??

Latest posts

Back