how old is too old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a middle aged mare (16) and was curious on opinions of with how long minis live what you consider the safe point for breeding.

With standard size horses it use to seem like 16 use to be old but with science coming as far as it has and minis tend to live longer

Would you shy away from purchasing due to her age?

Thanks

I think it all depends on the mare. I'd look at the mare's reproductive history, her current state of health (includling teeth) and her past health history. Then have a vet evaluate her reproductive health and get their recommendation. Does she have a history of needing Regumate (not that it would be a deal-breaker for me, but you need to know what to consider). I personally don't mind older mares. Some mares just seem to be supreme broodmares and love being a momma -- and can crank out the foals with no problems whatsoever. Just have to look at the individual mare.

Good luck!

I have a 19 year old amhr/aspc mare who is in foal for next year, she doesnt look a day over 8 years old though, she has also been taken great care of and dental, farrier and good good nutrition. I also have a 16 year old mare who doesnt look half her age ...agian, they have just been taken well care of and i feed them good. Joins are good, they are fat (healthy fat) and still very much Diva's, not cranky.

In my opinion, a 16 year old mare is NOT old, especially if she has been cared for. We have a 21 year old B AMHR mare here who is 21 years old and you would NEVER know it!

Our very first mini is now an 18 year old mare and two years ago I tried to "retire" her just because....... Well, she fussed and pined about not being a mommy. So she has a gorgeous filly this year and is as happy as a clam. However, since we are cutting back on breeding for next year, she's not being re-bred again. I'm sure I'm going to hear about it. (sigh)

I agree with bluewater. It all depends on the mare and her history...

We have a 23 yr old AMHR/AMHA mare who literally throws a temper tantrum in the spring if other mares have foals and she doesn't!
default_wacko.png
She did that this year because she slipped her foal in October. She paces the fencing calling to all the babies for about a week... maybe 2 weeks. She LOVES her babies and just does not do well mentally without a baby. She's an easy breeder, easy foaler, foals don't bring her down at all. Mae is bred again this year to the same stud she's been bred to for the last 5 years (*I THINK*, we've only had her for 2 yrs, going on 3 now). The other thing with this mare is that she'll only let the stud she's been with the last 5 years breed her... She WILL NOT allow our black stud anywhere near her... she tries to charge him just passing by his stall!!!

Here's a pic of her (May 2008)... to me, she doesn't look her age either!

DSC_6662.jpg

We retired based on how the mare is doing body condition/mentality after foaling. Lady, 25 with 16 foals, Tina, 25 with 14 foals and Maria, 22 with 9 foals are the three eldest we have retired here. They were all forced into retirement a few years ago although they all are still cycling. I felt they had contributed enough to the genetic pool and deserved to just hang out! What I do which is a bit unorthodox is let all three of them keep their last daughter with them (self weaning) the foal. Lady and Tina weaned their girls between 8-14 months, but Maria, three years later keeps Patsy within eye sight and Patsy only stopped nursing when she was two! Interesting herd dynamic if a bit off topic!

I have retired mares at 16+ as I felt health or breeding wise they needed to be. The days of breeding anything that can because they can are long gone and a few of my early purchased while nice horses, really didn't need to keep contributing their genetics!

I have also purchased many a mare in the 15+ age range (including the three that are retired now) and if the fertility/healthy/breeding history supported it I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one.

Besides there is no guarantee on a 2, 3, or 4 year old becoming a good to excellent broodmare - that is a gamble too.

Back