HOW MUCH TO FEED A MINI?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH EVERYONE FEEDS THEIR MINIS? HOW MUCH GRAIN AND WHAT % ? I HAVE BEEN FEEDING A FLAKE OF HAY IN THE MORNING AND ONE IN THE EVENING OF NICE 2ND CUT HAY AND I GIVE ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF GRAIN AS MORE OF A TREAT. EVERYONE LOOKS AT A GOOD WEIGHT EXCEPT FOR A 1YR OLD FILLY WHO I HAVE WHO SEEMS TO BE HARD TO GET TO FILL OUT. SOME HAVE SAID TO WORM HER WHICH I HAVE EVERY SIX WEEKS. I AM GOING TO HAVE THE VET COME AND CHECK HER TEETH, BUT DO THEY NEED THAT AS SOON AS A YEAR OLD? PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU FEED DAILY AND YOUR OPINION ON BEET PULP. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO IT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :bgrin

Your care sounds adequate. Is the filly in with other horses? If so, separating her to eat will ensure that she is getting all the feed she needs without other horses hogging it from her.

My vet doesn't float teeth until they are older than three. Right now I have a three year old that has some retained caps but he's not worried about that right now he wants to see if they will fall out themselves. After that, he checks everyone's teeth once a year and floats as necessary. Some people have dentistry done earlier than three, but my vet honestly thinks it's mostly a waste of money as the teeth usually take care of themselves (if the horse is on a hay diet... if the horse is on pellets and/or complete feed only they do not wear their teeth normally and may need extra dentistry).

Beet pulp is good to feed, I would start with a cup of pellets (and then soak them) and increase as necessary. Grain, such as a complete feed like Equine Junior, may also help her gain weight and condition, as hay alone must be fed in large amounts for a visible difference in weight.

Andrea

Here is what i feed for my horses ..

I feed Buckeye Grow N Win. For my yearling i give 1/2pound AM 1/2poud PM. For my adult mini's i feed 1/4 pound AM 1/4 Pound PM.

For hay i use Orchord Grass. My yearling gets 1 black AM&PM. Then my other horses get a small block AM&PM. At noon i feed soaked beet pulp pellets.

I also use the Nutraglo suppliment and have had fantastic results with it but right now i only have my yearling on it.

Here is what i feed for my horses ..

I feed Buckeye Grow N Win. For my yearling i give 1/2pound AM 1/2poud PM. For my adult mini's i feed 1/4 pound AM 1/4 Pound PM.

For hay i use Orchord Grass. My yearling gets 1 black AM&PM. Then my other horses get a small block AM&PM. At noon i feed soaked beet pulp pellets.

I also use the Nutraglo suppliment and have had fantastic results with it but right now i only have my yearling on it.

I do almost the same. The only difference is that I weigh my hay as flakes can vary in size/weight.

Minis can vary greatly on how much feed they do well on. Several factors should be taken into consideration.

Height

Broodmare

Breeding Stallion

Conditioning for Show

A broodmare or breeding stallion would normally need much more than one who is not breeding or carrying a foal.

Some minis are simply "easy keepers" and seem to gain weight from breathing! These would need much less feed.

As a general rule.....you should feed 1 lb to 1 1/2 lbs of hay/forage per 100 lbs of body weight. Then add grain/suppliments at your discretion. (I NEVER feed by "flake"....as flakes of hay can vary greatly in weight!)

Use this as a starting point, and then "adjust" up or down, depending on each horse & their needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back