How much do you pay for a good teeth floating?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not counting a farm visit (we usually bring the horse in), and including sedation it averages $125.

MA

We paid almost $500 BUT ~~~~ that was for 10 horses!!!!! I cant` imagine why you were charged that much??? Oh my goodness I would have fainted when I saw that bill.
default_wacko.png
:

I called another vet in the area that also knows minis and there they charge $80-$120 plus sedation! :eek: Uggh it's making me sick.

I just had two floated, one QH mare and one mini mare. He worked quite a while on the mini and the bill was $50.00 including the call. He's an equine dentist highly recommended by my vet. We've been using him for several years and nobody has ever required sedation yet.

Most non sedated work is done without power tools. I'd NEVER let anyone near my horses with power tools on an unsedated horse, due to the various things that can go wrong. That being said my dentist doesn't use power tools but does an excellent job, lets you feel and see the before and after etc. She travels the state of Fl, Ga and will come all the way to me in SC.
default_smile.png

Karen

For the one dentist that I have found in this area (my vet pretty much refuses to do much w/my minis b/c he doesn't have the small enough equipment nor is it his area of expertise), it is $200 on up. The same dentist charged my good friend I think $1200 for ONE HORSE.

I cannot afford that, and so my minis have gone w/out dental care until I can find someone that I feel is competent that won't make me have to mortgage my house a second time to get them merely checked and floated.

Liz M.

What do these vets (the one that charged $500, and the one that charged $1200) do that's so much more expensive than everyone else?

I have NEVER paid more than $50.00 and that was for a job well done, caps pulled, floated, etc.....

$500 is highway robbery!!!!!!

We are fortunate to have a vet with a very large miniature practice and it seems if it has happened with a miniature he has seen it and handled it. He is very good with mini teeth. A simple float is about $30..no sedation. If he needs to do more like pull caps or do any grinding he does sedate and that adds more. I can't remember the charge ever being over $100 though.

I have a friend in St Louis area who had a vet/dental expert who was VERY expensive too. Hundreds per horse! YIKES!

I surely don't begrudge anyone the right to make a living, but I do think there are times that some services are charged in excess. And if you have more than one horse........................

Charlotte

What do these vets (the one that charged $500, and the one that charged $1200) do that's so much more expensive than everyone else?
I think this along the lines of a general contractor, it's best to get several quotes, the ones that really don't want to be bothered with the job will charge 5 times more than the ones that are have open schedules and want the work.

With that being said, before my equine dentist moved out of the area, she charged $40 a horse, but I would need to call the vet and have the dentist pick up the sedation (then pay that seperate amount to my vet).

Now my vet does it and charges $65 a horse plus sedation and the vet call (sedation is very inexpensive, the house call is $50, but I make sure to schedule the horses all at once so i don't have to pay the house call a second time). I thought $65 was a little much after only being charged $40 by the equine dentist. I would have fallen over after a $500 bill for one mini, maybe if they had put vaneers in place I could justify it!!!!LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_rofl: Sorry Dali l just read this and am laughing myself silly...if the bill was no mistake and living in a pretty well populated horse area out that way your vet must be laughing all the way to the bank..

The dentist I use is also a bit expensive, but does an amazing job, so i feel it is well worth it. The cheapest horse was $ 175 and the most was $ 250 and that was with sedation. Took nearly all day to do all 3. However I have a folder on each one with before and after pics and a very detailed description of each horse and what was done. I was very happy. I have had the regular vet do them and it was a wham bam thank you mam and $ 100 later, so I was more than thrilled with the job she did and felt like something was done other than a hammer on a wolf tooth to remove it......I am sure it is all a matter of opinion on what you want done to your horse.

Wanted to ad, that I would not have my horses done without sedation.

Holy goodness..... okay well all I can say is that I'm extremely happy with my choice to go to college to be a vet
default_yes.gif
: And our vet that comes 32 miles to our farm did 2 horses for us last year and the total cost was $65.98 and that included the farm visit in there. It was even cheaper than that the years before. This fall when I have him come out I'm sure it'll be a little more. But not anywhere close to $500! I feel sorry for you! welll....your parents I guess! My vet is amazing and works so well with the minis. Our horse's teeth are probably just as nice as yours with about $440 less in cost

The most I've had to pay was $250... the vet floated a stallion's teeth then had to pull a difficult tooth and had to completely knock him out. The sedation for that added a lot to the bill. I consider my vet to be VERY expensive but generally worth the money.

Andrea

Sorry Dali l just read this and am laughing myself silly...if the bill was no mistake and living in a pretty well populated horse area out that way your vet must be laughing all the way to the bank..
The bill is no mistake..unfortunately. I love my vet and he is so good with minis but this is just ridiculous. There is another I will be taking Bear to for his teeth once we recover. It's Peter and Terry Holt's vet so they know minis. A bit of a drive but the is cost so much less...it will be $80-120 plus sedation and $30 for wolf teeth pulled. That we can handle and is more like what I was expecting. We also found the bill from when Copper almost died from a really bad colic and had to stay in an Equine hospital hooked to an I.V. with 24 hour care etc. for about a week and it was only around six or seven hundred...Oh well lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back