How Many? :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 21 miniatures....

4 stallions

9 mares

1 yearling filly

7 weanling foals (4 fillies, 3 colts)

We also have 2 full sized horses and 2 pygmy goats... 5 dogs (3 inside, 2 outside) and a handful of barn cats.....

SOME DAYS I HAVE TO MANY. 8 STALLIONS, 15 MARES,2 JR. MARES, 3 GELDINGS. EXPECTING 4 BABIES IN 2010. I CAN'T SEE MYSELF WITHOUT,LOVE ALL OF THEM. I ALSO HAVE 2 DONKEYS,25 GOATS AND 1 ALPACA. AND ASSORTED BIRDS, DOGS, CATS. I'M A VERY HAPPY MOM AND SOMEDAYS OVER WORKED MOM.

I have:

2 A/R stallions(1 bay and 1 silver dapple)

1 A/R suckling colt(chestnut pinto)

1 AMHR weanling filly(smokey silver black)

1 AMHR yearling filly(bay)

1 WCMHR gelding(chocolate silver dapple)

2 A/R mares in foal for 2010(1 pinto and 1 appy)

6 AMHR mares in foal for 2010(3 black, 2 chestnut, 1 bay)

1 AMHR mare in foal for 2009, due anyday now(appaloosa)

So 15, soon to be 16 minis. I also have 1 arabian stallion and 4 arabian mares in foal for 2010 as well as a miniature goat.
default_smile.png

Well it was SUPPOSED to be one ....but ...need i say more!!??

1) Stallion (boones little buckeroo and a komokos little king supreme grandson)

1) yearling gelding

1) mare

1) weanling/colt

and one late one for 2010

what can i say
default_wub.png
they are my loves...would love more but we'll see

would like another pinto mare

very enjoyable

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question for those of you who have TONS of horses (20 and above) - how on earth do you do it??? And how do you remember everyone's names???
default_laugh.png

Well, I don't have an "outside" job; this is what I do.
default_smile.png
We have pastures for most of the horses in the summer (some I just don't let be out on pasture, like the way-prone-to-fat horses, or the show horses, etc) and we also grow most of our own hay, so that cuts down a bit on expenses, plus we can grow exactly what we prefer to feed, which is an alfalfa/grass mix. Our farrier is scheduled on a regular basis, and though it takes him two different days to trim all of the horses, it gives him plenty of time with each horse. While I am bringing in each horse to be trimmed, I deworm each one (and keep a list, lol!) and groom them too. As I feed the horses each day, or in the case of the pastured horses, as I pass them when they are standing in the shade near the barn, etc, I look the horses over and run my hands over them to check to see how their weight is holding up and that they are looking good. I can see most of the horses from the house too, so if anyone is acting "off", I know right away. I have 17 automatic waterers, plus a few regular water troughs, and I clean just a few of the automatic ones each day, and just dump, scrub, and refill the troughs every few days. My hubby is a sweetheart and he hauls the hay from the hay barn to the horse barn for me, and also helps with cleaning stalls, etc. He also fixes fence, hauls and stacks feed, and the other always-needing-to-be-done chores that come up on a horse farm. I'm living my dream!
default_wub.png

1 stallion

4 mares

1 gelding

1 pony gelding

7 total, wouldn't get rid of any of them.

Oh yeah, one mare in foal for 2010 so I will have another next year.

I have two.

Blue Moons Wicked Witch- "Polly" 35" solid appaloosa mare with hoof striping and is starting to roan out, 5 years old.

Harmony Hills Little Titan- "Titan" 32" [ish] appaloosa gelding with hoof striping, beginning to roan out, a quarter moon on his forehead, and is Pollys 2 1/2 year old son.

I have three.

One mare and two geldings.

Baney's Royal Magic Miss - AMHA, AMHR, PtHA (pending) halter mare and in hand performance mare.

Roansome Cowboy Vant Huttenest -AMHA, AMHR - red roan driving gelding.

Sandy Acres Dairys Sundance Chief (a lot of name for a little horse
default_smile.png
) AMHA, AMHR PtHA (pending) - my 2010 all around performance prospect gelding.

I feel that I can very properly take care of that number so I really dont want anymore.

I'm at seven: one gelding (was gelding in March); two mares; a 4 year old, 2 year old, and 5 month old fillies all from one of the mares, and my first ever colt-5 months old. It's a bit of work when I teach, but it brings me so much joy, I just don't want to part with anyone. I'm in the barn/pastures about 3 hours a day right now. It's the perfect number to fit in the horse part of the barn--and it's the perfect number to keep the grass down without anyone getting too chubby.
default_wink.png

We breed miniature horses and a few little mules, so it's a mixed bag!

1 pinto stallion (who is going in driving training in Octl!)

5 brood mares of assorts sizes and colors (29-37 inches, 4 pintos & 1 pink roan)

1 young black driving mare who won't be bred for 2-3 years

1 recently purchased black yearling filly

1 cream dunn Buckeroo bred weanling filly we are keeping

1 tall, dark & handsome weanling colt

1 darling mini mule weanling colt

1 black weanling jack -"our future mule maker!" named Ziggy Marley-he's a reggae donk!

2 spotted standard driving donkeys (hubby's team and the resident comics!)

Totals 14 equines, with 4 2010 foals expected.

I am so blessed to have these wonderful little critters!!!

Well after the Chrysler bankruptcy I really thought I was going to have none, thought I would have to sell out.......................but thank GOD we survived that and I am able to continue with my program. Sheesh - that was so darned scary.

We have:

1 Senior Stallion

1 yearling colt

1 weanling colt

2 aged geldings

7 mares

1 two year old filly

1 yearling filly

1 weanling filly

Now this number quite possibly could change at any moment.
default_wink.png
I keep saying I am going to cut back, but now I'm thinking about adding a mare or two.............................
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a very small herd and it shall stay that way.

I have three stallions, six mares, two geldings, and one weanling colt waiting for export to France.

I also have 2 Quarter mares that eat more than all the miniatures combined!
default_wacko.png

Seven in my little herd ...

9 yr old B/W Tobiano 35" R driving mare

5 yr old Blue Roan 34" A/R broodmare

2 yr old 30" A/R silver dapple minimal tobiano filly

2 yr old 37" R silver black sabino filly

2 yr old 36" R blue roan overo gelding

3 yr old 37" R silver bay dun gelding

yearling 31" bay frame overo stud colt

I don't think I could part with any of them!
default_wub.png

Wendy, I want to see your reggae donk!
default_wub.png

Connie, I'm SO glad to hear that! I was hoping to hear.
default_smile.png

I was once asked by a kid how I can remember all their names. I said it was like knowing the names of all your friends and family. That my horses ARE my family.

We "do" it by feeding them really well and keeping tight records. I stay home and care for them.

I HATE leaving my kids!

I have a small herd too, hopefully stays that way for now!

I have 4 total - all mares
default_wub.png

3- minis -ages 4, 4, & 11

1- retired riding horse, 25 yrs young

Two of the minis are show horses. One is an all around - halter, trail, driving, and a little jumping. The other does halter for now but working on getting her broke to drive this fall and planning on making her an all around as well. My oldest mini is not very sound do to having Laminitis but she still gets around with everyone else and we love her just the same!
default_wub.png

My riding horse really doesn't do to much any more. Mainly just a big pasture pet. She's blind in her left eye so she pretty much just hangs out with the little ones and bosses them around!

I love all my girls and wouldn't have it any other way!!
default_biggrin.png

Becky M.

Wendy, I want to see your reggae donk!
default_wub.png

Connie, I'm SO glad to hear that! I was hoping to hear.
default_smile.png

I was once asked by a kid how I can remember all their names. I said it was like knowing the names of all your friends and family. That my horses ARE my family.

We "do" it by feeding them really well and keeping tight records. I stay home and care for them.

I HATE leaving my kids!
Here's Ziggy Marley! He hasn't started singing Carribeon tunes yet, but he's still young!

Massena001.jpg

Oh Wendy, he'd SO cute! I love him!
default_wub.png

He needs one of those rainbow colored knit hats those cool guys wear over their dred locks!

AWESOME!
default_aktion033.gif

I forgot to mention I was bad and bought a mare this year!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back