How many of you out there

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I much prefer to purchase open mares, but I have purchased bred ones. I have never, and can't imagine ever, buying a mare because of the foal she is carrying. I want to make the decision on the cross myself. In general, the mares I see bred to well-known stallions and being sold as bred generally aren't the highest quality mares. It's a way to move a mare that otherwise wouldn't be saleable. I'm NOT saying it's always this way so nobody get upset, it's just an observation I've made. There are people who buy mares specifically for the purpose of breeding them and selling them in foal for a profit. Nothing wrong with that, just another way of doing business.

Since purchasing Spirit I've had several inquiries into whether I'll be offering mares bred to him for sale in the spring. I don't think I will as I generally like the mares I have, but I do have one outside mare that is confirmed in foal to him and I think her owners are going to sell her in foal. They are hoping that having a Spirit baby in her tummy will make her worth more. Just not my thing.
default_unsure.png

I did buy a mare just today and she is in foal. I specifically wanted her open, but what is done is done. I want the mare so I'll take her bred and then breed her with my cross for 2010. I have no interest in the foal even though the sire is very well known and sought after. Just not my "type" of stallion.

We mostly purchase open mares and bred them ourselves after we have shown them or when they come of age to be bred with our own stallions.

We have bought 2 mares back in the past that were advertised as bred and were not. I only have had one time ever that we bought a mare that was advertised bred that was actually bred and produced a filly at our place.

It would also depend if I really like the mare that is being offered being bred and same for the stallion that she is bred to... is what I am looking for as well being on our show string and later on in the breeding program as being a asset.

Basically .....we really do prefer open. It sometimes is a bonus you could say for purchasing a bred mare but sometimes really not the case in the long run afterall. Just depends what your preferences are in what you like.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I most definately would buy an open mare, and have! I buy the horse for the horse they are, not for what they are carrying, so if I like the horse enough to b uy, it matters not to me that she is open, and sometimes even prefer it that way.

I am into showing and do very little breeding, so I wont buy anything but an open mare. However, it seems near impossible to find, as everything seems to be bred.

We sold a mare a month ago and they were looking for a Youth horse and had no interest in breeding, and our mare was one of the only ones they could find that they liked that was not in foal.

If we were into breeding and had my own stallion, I'd want proven mares for sure, but open so I could use my own stallion.

~Jen~

I think it would depend on what I wanted the mare for. If she we 2-3 years old Yes I would buy her if she is what I am looking for. If I had in the back of the mind that in the next few years I might want a foal from her and she were 7 or 8 and had one foal at 4 No, I would not because It is possable she would not have a foal for me. If I just wanted a show horse with no plans of ever breeding Yes I would buy her. Also, just because she has 1 foal for you, it doesn't mean she will ever foal for you ever again. Also if she is early on in her pregnancy when you buy her it doesn't mean she doesn't slip her foals at say 6 to 8 months. Sorry my side hurts because I went driving so I tend to make arguments no matter what direction you go.

I buy open mares. If it's the mare I want.
default_yes.gif

If I buy a mare it is because I think she will go well with my stallions.

If I sell a mare that is open, a maiden, or a bred mare and IF it turns out that the mare turns out to not have a foal (attended) or does not get in foal for her owner, then I will re-breed or take her back for one that will. I won't sell a bred mare unless she's bred. I want people to be pleased with my "babies" and love them. I do my best.

I have some small maiden mares priced way low and no one wants them because they're not bred. A stallion has never covered them. Nothing wrong with them! I just like letting them mature first. I don't like selling bred maidens because I don't know if they will be watched and helped to foal the way *I* would do it. Unless someone is experienced and has cameras and a system to watch her. My horses are not "stock" to me, but my kids. So I want to know that they will be easy foalers for a new owner before I sell them.

I actually prefer open mares. When I shop for a mare I'm usually looking for something I could breed to my jack.

If I was looking to buy a mare right now, it would probably be an open one. I simply do not currently have the set-up I would need for foaling or for a new foal's housing needs.

I have bought several open mares and would again.

I choose NOT to sell bred mares as I worry that people will not care about them as I do in their foaling time of need.

I have open mares for sale as I do not breed every horse every year.

Robin

I have bought open mares in the past & would have no problem with doing it again...IF I were buying mares, which I'm not.
default_laugh.png
I have also bought bred mares. As to which I prefer, it really doesn't matter if I am buying a mare for the purpose of breeding. If the mare is bred I want it to be to the "right" stallion--I find it very hard to purchase a mare that is in foal to a stallion that I don't like. If I were shopping for a young mare for showing then I wouldn't want her to be bred; and if I am looking for a broodmare and you have a bred 2 year old that you are offering for sale, do not offer her to me! If others wish to breed their 2 year old mares, that is up to them, but I don't breed two year old mares and I won't buy a 2 year old mare that is bred.
If others wish to breed their 2 year old mares, that is up to them, but I don't breed two year old mares and I won't buy a 2 year old mare that is bred.

VERY WELL SAID, thank you!!!!!!! I think that is terrible, their just babies themselves, I may not know much but I DO KNOW THAT, IMHO!!!!! TJ
I agree with you both! But I do have a 2 year old for sale, and alot of people who have inquired have wanted to know if she is bred. I tell them I do not breed them at 2. They may have passed for that reason, because inquiries always seem to want something bred, but that is ok, I will not breed until they are at least 3 if they are mature enough then.

I prefer to buy an open mare. Unless I'm buying a mare bred to an outstanding stallion and the resulting foal would be one I'd consider retaining to show.

Thank you all who have responded. The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently looking at an open mare and I have never bought a mare before that was open. All of mine were bred when I got them.

I think it's a really good point that when we decide to buy a mare you are buying the mare and not whats in her belly.

Thank you again!!!!

We actually prefer to buy open mares now. Years ago we did prefer bred mares but experience has brought us to the point where we actually prefer our stallions over some others. Actually, we prefer to buy 6 mo+ fillies, raise them up and then breed them a few years later. It gives us time to really evaluate the mare, see some of the siblings mature and then decide on the best cross for the mare (or not). I will buy the "perfect" mare if she is bred to a nice stallion, but usually we sell the foal and keep the mare. There have been 1-2 exceptions, but not many. It takes a while longer to get a result on your purchase but we find as we go along usually the wait is worth it.

Hi Orkie, I would always try to buy a mare that was Ultrasounded in foal.

We have bought too many " oh we just did not breed back this year" mares that i could not get in foal. I never buy a mare because of the stallion she is bred to, as i prefer my stallion and the babies he produces over most out there, but the mare that is ultrasounded in foal is showing me that she is a breeder, and there is a potential "pay check" coming with her.

Open mares are always risky, i dont care who you buy from. No farm, or individual can guarentee life, or fertility as that can change in a matter of miniutes. When you buy a mare it is a gamble, 1. If she will cross well with your stallion, 2. Will she be a breeder, 3. Will she carry to term and deliver a live, viable, sellable foal. The mare that is in foal, at least is telling me that she was a breeder when she concieved, the rest is well......left to be seen. Good luck in your decision.
default_rolleyes.gif

If I trusted the seller's word that the mare was sound for breeding, yes I would buy an open mare.

We have bought both but remember with any pregnancy test it is only good, maybe, the day of the test. The mare can reabsorb or abort anytime after. I currently have only open mares for sale since I do not want to add to the problem of too many horses. I bred just a few for foals I would like to keep and show but have not had them tested yet, if they are not bred that is fine too. The mares I am selling have all had foals in the last few years with no problems and as far as I know are all fine to breed but again that does not mean problems cannot occur. I am well aware that some people know their mares are non breeders but sell them anyhow or send them to sales with no information. I guess it comes down to dealing with honest people and as others have mentioned this is not always "name brand" breeders but I agree buy the mare for the mare and not for a foal that may not survive.

Latest posts

Back