How many miniature Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky old you, if you have managed to cut back!

I have "cut back" to 22 at the moment, and 13 of those are definite keepers.....

I have 10 right now

1 show gelding

6 broodmares ( 4 confirmed for 2012)

1 weanling colt (for sale)

1 yearling colt (my future stallion)

1 yearling filly (a keeper?)

I'm very happy with my herd size right now. Hope to keep one of the foals from next year, if I sell the little colt.

I have 10 right now

1 show gelding

6 broodmares ( 4 confirmed for 2012)

1 weanling colt (for sale)

1 yearling colt (my future stallion)

1 yearling filly (a keeper?)

I'm very happy with my herd size right now. Hope to keep one of the foals from next year, if I sell the little colt.

This is down in numbers as I was up to 12 at one point last year.

Just 3 for me..

1 stallion

1 mare

1 filly foal

default_wub.png

We have 12 now (was 13 til a week ago!
default_aktion033.gif
)...

1 2 yr old stallion

1 3 yr old stallion (who will be gelded in about a month
default_aktion033.gif
)

3 geldings

5 mares

2 weanling fillies

...and a donkey (oh yeah...counting him that is 13...lol
default_wink.png
)

Last year at this time, we had 4...oops! LOL
default_laugh.png

But we are also adding at this time...not selling (except the one colt we just sold).
default_aktion033.gif

I have 6, use to have 6 but one past away this summer.

1 B gelding

1 A stallion

2 B and 1 A mares

All the mares are in foal for spring though. After what happened this summer the vet hospital/teaching college wanted to run a trial on my group, from start to finish. I already have plans for next summer to reduce down to 2 minis.

I have 9 total.

This year we bought 1 mare in foal and another mare with a filly so I have:

2 weanling fillies

1 yearling filly

4 mares

2 donkeys (jennys)

Well, right at this moment we have 14:

3 stallions

1 gelding

2 weanling colts

8 mares/fillies

But having said that, we are selling 5 (2 mares, stallion and 2 weanlings).

Several months ago I had 32 horses on the property. Right now I have 22, but 4 of those are sold and will be picked up this week.

Of the 19 horses that are still mine:

2 are Foster horses

2 are big riding horses

1 is a riding pony that we adopted

2 stallions

8 are broodmares

and 2 foals

Even though I have cut back alot, I still need to cut back even more. My goal is to get to 6 broodmares. And I will probably end up selling the big horses.

I HATE this drought and what it has done to my plans and dreams.

I stopped breeding in 2007.Had almost 40 horses at 1 time.Sold some ,gave several away, lost some to medical issues etc.I now have the Mini nursing home. 1 mare 24yrs, 1 mare 23yrs, 1 mare 20yrs,1 gelding 20yrs with melanoma, 1 gelding 15yrs healthy, 1 gelding 10yrs healthy(wanting to give him away when then right person comes along) 2 Mini boarders and 1 34 yr old Arabian border.Grand total 9 horses on the farm.We have replaced horses with sheep-much easier to care for and no colic issues.

1 stallion

2 geldings ( 1 is a rescue and he is bigger perhaps a shetland x )

5 mares

1 colt

Then i have about 5 that live in my head that i wish I had LOL !!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Well, I more than doubled my herd this year - but then again, I only had 2 last year
default_wink.png

Holdovers from last year

4 year old over mare (driving, halter, showmanship, obstacle, hunter, jumper, once in a while does halter) - J Jay (D&W Amy's Tiffany)

3 year old under mare driving, hatler, showmanship, obstacle, hunter, jumper) - Bonde's Bouncin B Tuxs Tango

Then, this year, since we were having so much fun (and hubby said "maybe you should buy a couple more minis") I bought

2 year old under mare (halter, halter obstacle, starting ground driving) - Bonde's Bouncin B Chiefs Glory Days

1 year old over gelding (halter, starting on halter obstacle) - Bonde's Bouncin B Red Hot N Rowdy

And then I was given one
default_yes.gif
(so I told hubby that didn't count as the "buy a couple more" since I didn't buy him)

1 year old under (may go over) gelding (halter, starting halter obstacle) - Lazy Creeks Jethro Gibbs

So I went from 2 to 5.

And yes, I obviously like the Bonde's horses!
default_biggrin.png

I am at 14, which is a very manageable number for me. However, I'd like to sell one leopard colt, and one buckskin mini draft gelding. AND, I have a nice bred mare I'd like to buy if that happens! Also, I have (hopefully) 4 foals coming in 2012. Here's my herd:

1 - 2 y/o stallion

1 - 2 y/o leopard colt 2 - mini draft geldings 1 - 2y/o show gelding (belongs to my son, and will never leave here)

1 - show mare, taking the year off to have her first (and probably only) baby - she is my heart horse

1 - broodmare bred to LKF's Psyched Up Buck, then will probably re-enter the show ring again

2 - black/white pinto brood mares

1- 28" "play toy" mare

1 - yearling show filly

3 - fillies that might show next year

I just
default_wub.png
all my minis!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From 1 last yr to 4 this year and more to come.

1 Stallion (1/2 Falabella)

3 mares (2 open and 1 bred)

We're getting ready for a move to a larger place and are getting another stallion
default_yes.gif
and hopefully a couple more mares
default_aktion033.gif

I forgot to mention the 9 Large horses we have too:

2 -AQHA Mares (1 in foal)

1- 29 yr old AQHA pasture ornament mare

1- AQHA Gelding (daughter's show & 4-H horse)

1- TB Gelding (daughter's jumping horse)

1- 2 yr AQHA stud 1- yearling AQHA colt (1- weanling AQHA colt 1- grade recipient mare (will go back to breed farm)

Early this spring we had 5-

1 stallion

1 gelding

3 broodmares (2 in foal)

Then we lost a mare & foal from dystocia

then we lost the remaining foal from not getting out of the sac on a surprise delivery

Thanks to the generous miniature horse industry: my daughter was given

a 2011 filly and 3 mares and we added an additional mare

We have now doubled out herd:

1 - 4 yr old stallion (Sky)

1- 4yr old gelding (Toby)

7- broodmares (Margarita, Fancy, Pearl, Angel, Rockette, Lexi, Jasmine)

1 -weanling filly (Cowgirl)

Tomorrow we find out how many of the mares are in foal(ultrasound). Only one of the mares showed heat after breeding, but we will see who has stayed in foal so far.

Hey Sandy can we see some updated pics of cowgirl? I would love to hear how her and your daughter are doing.

I'm down to 10 at the moment. I expect to have even fewer next year. We have stopped breeding altogether, gelded one 4 yr old stallion 2 weeks ago now only have one stallion on the place who may eventually also be gelded.

At present we have;

1 stallion

4 mares

5 geldings.

By winter I will only have 2 of the mares so I'll be feeding and caring for 8 this winter. I'd like to get that down to 5 but so far I haven't found homes that I like for the other 3.

Well! i started out with around fifty two, and i sold a few, bought a few, gave one away, and just the other day i went out to count all of them, and i counted to 54, and then i got a really nervous feeling in my stomach and stopped counting! So if i only count to 54 and dont count anymore, then that is all there is out there right???? LOL!!!!!!

wub.gif

Back