How many miniature Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure that I'll just post how many horses I have had since LAST September, and then cross out the ones I don't.

Buddy (Breeding stud)

Tremor (colt)

Dream (Bred mare)

Suzie (Bred mare)

Honey

Bow

Connor

Sweetheart

Teddy

Pete

And my newest addition:

Ale (my April filly)

My current herd:

2 mares (NOT bred!) :D

2 Geldings

2 Yearling fillies

1 Weanling filly

I am VERY content with my herd as of right now. No more foals and GELDINGS! Hallelujah.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 as of right now. But maybe just maybe that might change soon.
wink.gif

3 Geldings

3 Mares

I also keep a friends horse. So that makes 7.

Well as you will be able to tell from my count I dont breed.
default_new_rofl.gif

I have:

5 geldings, 1 shows halter, 1 is my driving and performance, 1 is retired but could do any performance ,1 will start driving training next month and the last is my brat

then I co own a senior halter stallion with my trainer.

Interesting question, and one we have been thinking about this month because September 2010 was our "high water mark" with 11 minis:

Cowboy (gelding)

Buckshot (stallion)

Toffee, Mira, Sox & Fizz ("broodmares")

Taffy & Rusty (2010 foals, Rusty now a gelding)

Ruby (all around mare)

Princess (show mare)

Max (Junior stallion)

Then we gave up on trying to breed Fizz and found her a new home

Max died in February

Sox lost her foal at 299 days (Mira lost hers earlier, Toffee was left open)

Then we bought Dancer last month to get our total back 'up' to 10

We went from 4 to 6 this year, something I didn't anticipate doing. I knew my max would likely be at 5 or 6, and having 6 has confirmed I cannot handle anymore at this point with regards to costs, care, and our current setup. Various things could change this but none of those things are likely to happen any time soon. I'm happy that I have what I have and am able to manage them the way we are.

All 6 are mares, ranging in age from 2 - 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have:

7 senior stallions

3 junior stallions (hopefully 2 will be leaving to their new hones soon and the other will be my new show gelding for next year)

1 weanling colt

1 gelding

22 mares

4 weanling fillies

1 outside mare who will be staying another year

I have sold in the past year:

1 sr stallion, 1 jr stallion, 1 weanling colt, 3 mares, 1 filly, and our only 'biggie'.

We also had one of our older mares pass away in February.

I do have a few 'sale pendings', so waiting to see what happens with those, but have cut back by a lot more than usual. We usually stick around 50 so selling down, slowly but surely. Keeping most of our 2011 foals which brought numbers up the most.

We have:

Stallions: 5, with two becoming geldings on Wednesday!
default_aktion033.gif

Two weanling colts, one who will become a gelding on Weds if the beaners are down...
default_laugh.png

Mares: 16 including the 2 fillies born this year. One is a boarded mare.

Geldings: 7, not including the geldings-to-be. One is a boarder, plus she is getting a new driving gelding at the end of October!

So that makes 30. Which is what we had last year, but we HAVE sold several this spring and summer. Only bought one this year(colt) and had four foals, one of which is sold. Minus the boarder gelding and one of the soon-to-be geldings, and we ARE down from last year!
default_aktion033.gif
Plus the boarder mare should be going home soon with our old broodmare as a companion. Only bred three mares plus one "oops" maybe breeding.

No breeding. No buying. No selling.

I have 5 all girls.

3 mares

2 baby fillies

I have some that I sold which are boarded with me so the herd remains the same for the girls.

Total of 22

4- Stallions

3- Geldings

12- Mares (couple of them retired broodmares)

2 -weanling fillies

1-weanling colt

We did sell 3 and bought 1

I want to keep the herd size to between 15 -20, Although I don't think 15 is a realistic number for me lol.

We have five...one mare, two geldings, one stallion, and a little two month old colt.

Early this spring we had 5-

1 stallion

1 gelding

3 broodmares (2 in foal)

Then we lost a mare & foal from dystocia

then we lost the remaining foal from not getting out of the sac on a surprise delivery

Thanks to the generous miniature horse industry: my daughter was given

a 2011 filly and 3 mares and we added an additional mare

We have now doubled out herd:

1 - 4 yr old stallion (Sky)

1- 4yr old gelding (Toby)

7- broodmares (Margarita, Fancy, Pearl, Angel, Rockette, Lexi, Jasmine)

1 -weanling filly (Cowgirl)

Tomorrow we find out how many of the mares are in foal(ultrasound). Only one of the mares showed heat after breeding, but we will see who has stayed in foal so far.

We decided to have a full dispersal orginally, BUT the thought of not having any was just to heartbreaking
default_no.gif
...so we had a partial dispersal and sold ahhhh 19 head this year which is pretty darn good for the rotten economy!!!

We would like to sell about 11 more, but no bites since summer, so they will have to wait until next spring!

So we have 16 head, 1 donkey, 7 cattle and 2 dogs. Started with about 50 head so we think or hope we are on a roll and it will continue
default_wub.png

Blessings,

Jenny

We have 3 geldings, two of which are a team.

2 stallions

3 weanling fillies

11 mares at various ages and stages, two of which are a team.

We would like to have no more than 10 or 12 but we love potato chips.

I have reduced down as it was just too much hard work in the winter with the snow and the frozen water. As the kids grew older I hope to buy some more but for now I only have:

1 sr stallion

1 gelding

1 yearling colt

3 mares

Just one, officially, as of yesterday. A yearling colt named "Finale" ... He's my first mini and my first show horse. It was love at first sight and he took to me right away
default_wub.png
It would have been two, but the original mare I was interested in fell

through.

I'm considering a really pretty & sweet silver bay mare from the same person and going to visit with her again in a couple

of weeks. It won't be long before I have three or four...or more

-stacy

Latest posts

Back