How Many Is Too Many??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer for me is a simple one.
When you are no longer having fun, you have too many.

I totally agree with you on that!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Too many - way too many for us was when we were caring for another 'former' friend/breeders herd and I had between 100-160 minis to manage for over two years. It was way past work and not alot of fun! I admire people that can care for those huge herds, but it was difficult for me.

It was when I first started using spreadsheets to manage the 'herd'. Trimming/deworming was very educating to keep everyone on a 8 week rotation, but it felt more like processing - my farrier at the time and I joked about setting up stations like they do with cattle/sheep! This other herd (I was newbie to minis at the time) didn't have the best manners, so it was like wrangling wild horses every trimming visit on top of that! Not to mention foaling out 50 foals in one year and vaccinating all of them. Just the number of halters and feed to buy - no thanks! One time - I think I was sick - one poor mare got vaccinated 2x in a three week period as her named ended up on the 'list'!!!

We're in the high 50's right now and I would still like to get down around 35ish. That is hard to do, when you have commitment to retiring broodmares, the 'pets', and then the actual breeding horses! I still use a spreadsheet for coordinating which horses are schedule for trims/vaccination/foaling/breeding/registration, etc - that is invaluable!

But having a larger number costs - time, energy and money. Feed costs us $1200 a month just for hay, because of the hay prices and semi-drought we're in, our 63 acres are dried up crunchy crap pretty much. (Our horses look more like Jenny Craig candidates than that poor Marshmellow though!) And it can be a hardship at times on your family in it being such a time sink as well as the financial tradeoffs. I mean, if you have 2-10 horses unless you have extremely poor luck, you're less likely to have the number of vet calls for accidents/injuries purely based on number of bodies.

One year we had two eye removals, two foals in ICU, a mare with hyperlipemia, two major facial lacerations, and I know there was something else - basically I joked with the vet about naming the new wing! This year we've had a c-section, lost a mare to colic and a gelding for the 'extras' so far!

But other than the basic care - trim, deworming, vaccinating, feeding - there is the registration costs, major medical needs, supplements, and just plain worry - let alone forget vacations without reliable help. My son fortunately is old enough and can handle all minor things and knows when to call the vet so I can be gone for a few days at a time.

But as Erica mentioned - I love the lifestyle - most of the time. Believe me sitting at a cafe with a capuccino or taking off for a mini vacation at the spur of the moment sounds blissfully nice!

The last coupole of years it seems that "life" in general is getting in the way of doing what I want to with the minis. Especially in the way of showing, growing and developing. The family has needed attention more, the money is harder to balance because of storm/flooding repairs needed.

I swear it is a conspiracy!

So cutting back is the thing to do.

That's when I know I do not need any more here for now. I am loving them and getting to a couple of shows, But I know that "feeling" it's enough, and I need to make a change for our lives in general.

Latest posts

Back