how many foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nearly as many mares foal during the day as I do at night. Hence the reason that mares should never be left alone when close to foaling.
default_smile.png

I have only had one mare foal during the day. She seemed to have waited for normal feed time. The foal wasn't positioned right and she needed lots of help delivering. Both ended up well. I think that she knew and waited for me to help.

default_saludando.gif
how many foals have you had be born during the day???????????????
All our foals have been born between 5am and 10pm. And the 5am was just this year, otherwise the earliest was 8am. No middle of the night foals here and we've had 9 born here.

Marsha

Usually our mares always foal during night time, but this year we had 5 foals and 3 mares foaled during daytime!
default_new_shocked.gif

Ours are about 50% during the day and the other 50% between 10PM and 5AM. Each mare is pretty consistent with their favorite foaling time. We have mares that always foal during the day and others that always foal during the night. We even have a mare who will NOT have her baby until she is in the middle of a big thunderstorm..... and she is 4 for 4 on that! Maybe she doesn't have to do as much cleaning on them....LOL.

All of ours are born in the pasture, outside. Though it limits when we can have new babies, non till mid to late April in our part of the country, we have much better outcomes when they are born outside in the "nursery" pasture. JMO, I know thats anathema to many......

Last edited by a moderator:
All but one have been born during the day. Just like Susan said, I think they want me to be there with them.

Latest posts

Back