How long to wait after dentist

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I admit, I never check my horses teeth myself. I have the vet check them when shes out, usually 3 times a year. Yesterday, I decided to take a peek because she was just out, and didn't mention that Domingo needed done. Now, He hasn't been done in 2 years, so I know he needs done. Well, to my surprise, Domingo still has his wolf teeth. Domingo is 10 this year, and has been driving since he was either two or three, and shown extensively. I know normally driving horses have their wolf teeth out, but apparently his aren't bothering him. Should I have them taken out anyway?

Also, how long after having their teeth done do you normally wait to drive them?

I had my four olds done and vet said to wait 5 days before I put a bit on him.

I have been told by a couple of vets that, in some cases, removing the wolf teeth isn't necessary. If they aren't bothering the horse, then they say leave them. I have always had my guys wolf teeth pulled, despite what they have told me, but I thought that may be applicable to your horse.

I agree sometimes wolf teeth don't bother a horse and if so I wouldn't have them removed now and avoid the unnecessary vet bill. I always remove them BEFORE starting a horse to be sure NOT to cause any problems with fear of pain from the bit but if he has been driving for that long without any pain they aren't likely to start causing a problem now. I usually wait 3 days before bitting a horse after having teeth pulled and one day after a float as long as they are eating normally afterwards and don't have any trouble with the anesthesia.

I just had to have my 3 year old colt's wolf teeth pulled because he was very uncomfortable being bitted up as part of his driving training. It's been three months and he is MUCH better.

My vet had me rinse his mouth out with water once daily for seven days and then I could start bitting him up again.

After a routine float, I usually give them 2-3 days off. My horses all get their teeth floated annually.

Usually I don't pull wolf teeth but in some cases it's necessary, and probably just a good thing to do I guess just in case. Better than the horse being uncomfortable. And it's just a one-time thing anyway.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back