How long does it take for a sedative to wear off?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the vets in this area, who have floated teeth for me, and given vaccinations and such refuse to even discuss dispensing me ANYTHING so I could have it on hand if an emergency arises. I live in a very rural way out area, and they have seen my animals as stated, so they know I take good care and am experienced. Now the question, how do so many of you get Banamine to have for as-needed times?
I can't imagine my vet refusing to give me banamine to keep on hand! Like Becky, I've been at this a long time and I have my own small "pharmacy" here. Sounds kind of high-handed of the vet to me, ask them what happens in an emergency when they can't get there and you have a horse in a critical situation? A little trust is needed both ways in a vet/client relationship, and we obviously have to trust them with our horses health and lives.

Jan

Most vets are fine with the "usual stuff" to have on hand... SMZ, Banamine, Bute, Ace, etc. as far as I know, most don't have a problem with that... If your vet refuses, then maybe you can buy a larger quantity than you need next time he's out so you can stock up?

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Very minute dosages of ace can be used in stallions and have been used without this horrible side effect.
That is incorrect... ANY amount, ANY time can cause penile paralysis. You can use it 100 times in a row, or you could have a reaction the first time you use it. There is no rhyme or reason behind the reaction, so it is almost impossible to predict. Avoid acepromazine at all costs, and any sedative in the Ace family (none used commonly, but there are other flavors).

There is one situation which can increase the risk of Ace... if the stallion gets aroused while under sedation or just before the risk is drastically increased.

There are some very specific cases in which ace MIGHT be used in a stallion, but its only because the risk of death is more than the risk of paralysis. One example would be a serious case of laminitis. (Ace causes the blood vessels to dilate and increase blood flow to the feet.)

Penile paralysis can happen to geldings too; the risk is about 10x less than stallions. The drug is commonly used to get geldings to drop their penis for a sheath cleaning. The reason that this drug isn't contraindicated in geldings is if they DO get paralysis the consequences for a gelding are less than that of a stallion (not in my mind, but a gelding doesn't exactly need to penetrate mares).

Sorry, Nathan, but it is not INCORRECT. I have personally used ace (1-3mg) under the direct direction of anesthesiologists in recovery stalls while I'm recovering 1000lb plus stallions. NOW, a layperson should NEVER do this but I'm not exactly a layperson when it comes anesthesia or analgesia.

That doesn't mean that its safe... there is no correlation between dose and side effects for this drug. Like I said there are times that ace is used with stallions, but only when the risk of not using ace outweighs the risk of paralysis. Every time you use ace you are gambling. There is no way to decrease the risk, but there are ways to increase it (ie teasing).

You can give ace hundreds of times with hundreds of full doses without a reaction, or you could get a reaction the very first time the drug is administered, there is no way to predict or to modulate the risks.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Pride is finally getting back to himself today... Eating well, and grazing well.... I let his son hang out with him today (they are big buddies) and they had a big time. Thanks again for all the advice and information!

Chris

Edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad to hear that he's feeling better - that is wonderful news!!! Ditto on the banamine - we all have banamine on hand in case of an emergency. Regarding bute, I also read here years ago that bute should not be given to minis, which I believed at the time. It was one of the worst mistakes/mis-information I've made to date. Bute can be safe when given correctly. That's the operative word. Correctly.

Anyway, glad to hear he's doing better - YEAH!

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back