How it all began

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Hey Mary Lou.....so L'il Beginnings is 10 years old this year! Would you care to indulge us and give a sneak peak at what was behind the motivation that inspired you to create this successful website? I have often wondered about that, and now seemed like such a good time to ask! What inspired you and where did all the ideas for all the different pages and categories and forum come from? How did YOU begin? ......If you don't mind my asking? :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you Mary Lou for creating L'il Beginnings!! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: It is a great website full of all kinds of information,fun things,and lots of nice,and interesting people to meet.
default_yes.gif
:

oh i want to hear that story too!!! I posted this a few weeks ago but I dont think mary lou saw it. On alexa you can go back and see what a web site looked like. Heres lb in 2001 lb in the past

Just kinda fun to see what it looked like years ago.

Mary Lou happy anniversary and I wish you and LB many many more!! Your an amazing woman

Thanks for posting that link, Kay. I remember when LB looked like that. It seems so different now. The nosey side of me wishes that we could read those threads from way back when.

I got a computer capable of an internet connection in 1997, and signed up for service shortly thereafter.

I'd seen a few horse related sites while browsing at work, and found one site that was a general horse information and discussion forum. After a few weeks, someon on that forum mentioned that they knew of a forum especially for miniature horses. I clicked over to that, and found an easy to use forum, run by this nice person with the screen name of Mickey.

I remember being able to read all the discussion threads, and I think I was able to go back and get to all the ones currently up on the site. This was where I discovered how much fun it was to converse with folks from all over the world, and made friends with folks who are still on the forum.

I can recall telling folks at our club meetings how very useful this site would be for them, not only to connect with the greater information, but also in marketing their horses.

I also remember having to "remind" ML when I first signed in on the breeder's connection, that AR stood for Arkansas, not Arizona, a common error for those outside of both states.

I'm really proud to see that there are now two full pages of breeders for my state listed.

I just wish I had as much time to comment on the forum as I did then, but I think it's been the home page on my computer, both at home and at work, for more than the last eight years.

I am pretty interested in hearing this to.

Cant believe the old LB, it says 56,000 hits pre month on the front page of the old LB ...now we get that many hits per day i think LOL.
default_smile.png

Mary Lou
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Oh mary lou mary lou what would we do without you? :bgrin

Thanks for posting that link, Kay. I remember when LB looked like that. It seems so different now. The nosey side of me wishes that we could read those threads from way back when.
Me Too Me Too
default_wub.png
:

Thanks MaryLou
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Kay....thanks for posting the link to the old LB!!! Pretty neat to see the ads and really wish I could read the old posts. I recognize a few names that are still around, but there are many names I don't recognize or see post.

That is fun looking at the old forum and remembering when I joined back in 1998. :)

Susan O.

Oh how NEAT!!!! Sure do wish we could still get the pictures to work and go into the threads!

Thanks for posting those links, Kay and Mona!! What a hoot! Interesting to see how some things never change.... still the never-ending debates about dwarfs; the bickering, the great Q&A's, and even a discussion about seeing-eye horses! I admit that one really surprised me! I guess I didn't realize they've been "around" so long.

I quite like the old format because it was easy to just scroll down and scan the replies. I realize it would be pretty much impossible now with the size of the forum. Still being on very slow dial-up, it takes me a long time to read the forum due to the length of time everything takes to load, so I don't read nearly as much of it like I used to.

Anyway, thanks for the stroll down memory lane, ladies!

:aktion033: CONGRADULATIONS :aktion033: TO ALL WHO HAVE A HAND IN IT. :aktion033:

:risa8: LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FUN CONTEST :risa8:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Lou, thanks for filling us in! I often wondered about that ...history in the making!
default_yes.gif
: Now you got me sitting on pins and needles.....can't wait for the fun contest announcement! :aktion033:

wow marylou....when i think of all the hours you must have sat in front of your computer...... :new_shocked: ............ :aktion033: but im so glad you did, a BIG thanks from me to all of you involved keeping lil beginings alive and well :aktion033:

This is an article that Mary Lou and I worked on together last summer that kind of "fits" this thread...

L’il Beginnings Miniature Horses InternationalThe Online Guide To Miniature Horses

www.lilbeginnings.com

by: S. Jill O’Roark, Whinny For Me Farm
L’il Beginnings Miniature Horses International is the original Miniature horse web site and will celebrate its 10th anniversary of being an online presence in May 2007. The extremely popular web site began as a simple message board started by founder, Mary Lou McEachern, in May 1997.

The site has evolved to become “the” most comprehensive online guide to the world of Miniature horses. A central theme of the web site has always been to bring Miniature horse enthusiasts together. The site now draws over six million "hits" each month, and is constantly growing. This is not surprising when you consider all the site has to offer, with many of its features being completely free!

Among the many features of the web site, you will find an easy to navigate “Breeders Connect”, where you can easily identify Miniature horse breeders in your geographic area, or further away, and with a click, visit their farm web sites. You can window shop the Miniature horses for sale at farms until you find just the right one (or two!). Also on the Breeders Connect there are links to all things related to Miniature horses, such as tack companies, professional trainers, foaling aids, clubs, web site designers and more. The Breeders Connect has even expanded its links to donkey, Falabella and Shetland breeders since many Miniature horse owners are also involved with these animals.

There is an extremely popular and completely free sales board that is updated with new Miniature horse listings on a constant, around the clock basis. The free sales board loads quickly and is rich with pictures of beautiful, available Miniature horses in every price range. The sales board is also a great source to find carts, harnesses, halters and other horse equipment that make minis even easier to enjoy.

L’il Beginnings is home to an online auction where members are able to enjoy the excitement and suspense of bidding on a horse… or a halter! You may find your next show cart at a rock bottom price or that perfect little turquoise stable sheet for your favourite filly.

The site hosts a very active online forum or message board, which boasts over 3,700 members. From “newbies” in Miniatures to seasoned experts, all are welcome. There are many people ready and willing to help with the questions people have regarding Miniature horses. With topics about feeding, breeding, showing, driving, and conformation critiques – there are always interesting and informative discussions taking place. There are active posting members located all over the world and of course this is another free service offered by L’il Beginnings Miniature Horses International.

Other wonderful features abound. L’il Beginnings is often a source of exclusive and exciting announcements related to Miniature horses. Periodically, visitors are able to participate in Miniature horse themed contests through the web site and win prizes. There is a Transport Connect board that is used to find private and commercial transportation for Miniature horses so they can get from the seller to the buyer as efficiently as possible. You will also find a newly upgraded “Top Sites” section, which showcases some of the best and most popular Miniature horse farm sites on the internet today. Additionally worth mention are the great Miniature Horse Information Pages. Fun and interesting topics and features are always being added to the web site.

For those interested in advertising their farms and horses, L’il Beginnings has very affordable options. With the high traffic the site attracts, a listing on the Breeders Connect or an inexpensive banner ad on L’il Beginnings will have many, many people looking at your sales pages! There is also the availability of larger non-rotating advertisement placement on the sales board, auction site, transport connect, and interactive forum. If you have a web site for your Miniature horse farm or business, be sure to have your farm connected to the popular L'il Beginnings web site. The cost is from amazingly affordable to nothing at all, depending on the options you choose.

Next time you are at your computer, go to www.lilbeginnings.com! We know you’ll be happy you did! Lil Beginnings is truly the most popular online Miniature horse resource!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links to the old archived version - wow - that sure does bring back memories!!! And it's great to see so many of us old-timers are still around! :lol:

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back