How hot is to hot for our little minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaturehorselover

Reaction score
I just went and put my mare in her stall witch has a window on the side that there is breeze.. but on the other side of her little barn there is turkeys and ducks. I was wondering its been 25 degrees here is it to hot to put her in her stall? Thanks

25 degrees? I'm assuming Celsius... That's upper 70s Fahrenheit so she should be just fine.

yes Celsius and ok
default_smile.png
thanks

I'm in Florida, and it's gotten over 100 degrees here and my barn has slat-sided ventilation in the summer and many of the horses either hang out in the barn under the roof or under a tree. So, you should be quite fine in the 70's.
default_yes.gif

Gosh, that's the kind of weather that would make our minis run around, buck and play in the summer! That is not too hot at all
default_smile.png

Shoot, that is winter weather for us! We've seen 114° F this summer along with a few 110° + days. Ours do just fine. In fact a few prefer being out in the sun all day.

OH My how lucky are you, in the summer here it can get into the hundreds, I just turn on the barn fans, and they do just fine. The only time I had any problem was with a foal that was born when it was 105 and the heat index was also high, but his problems didn't last long. Horses have an inner cooling system as well, the blood vessels near the skin constrict, to help with cooling, they also dialate in the winter to help with heat. A really hot horse will show signs of respiratory distress, and be coated with sweat, then you hav e a problem. Otherwise, not to worry, horses are better able to handle the heat and cold then we are. It is usually only the new borns or the elderly that have any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep here in central AZ it easily gets above 100 for much of the summer. Mine run and play and it doesnt seem to phase them much. They are hardy and adaptable and if they have shed in an open place where they will catch any breeze or whatever, they seem to do great.

I should move to Ontario. I hate the heat/humidity !

It's going to be 32C here today and currently the humidity is 99%--luckily there is a breeze now and that makes it a bit less unbearable. Last week we had a few similar days snd several of my geldings were having a very hard time--really puffing and a couple were wheezing--definitely heat stressed. My barn is small and hot so no point trying to put anyone in there--they are better off out in the shade (which they do have), especially if they can catch any breeze at all. A couple nights ago our humidity dropped (until this morning) and that made all the difference to them.

Latest posts

Back