How far away would you send your mare away to be bred?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
It seems like it's really common in the minis to send mares away to be bred, but what's the farthest you would ship your mare? I love the looks of several stallions I've seen and think they'd be a great match for one of our mares, but I just don't know if I'd be willing to send her such a long way. I know leasing and buying are options, but it just seems extreme to me to bring a stallion onto such a small farm (and that's only if buying or leasing the stallion is an option). I wish artificial insiminiation was used more frequently in the minis...it'd make breeding across country MUCH easier! haha. Anyway, how far would send your mare to breed to the stallion of your choice?

Well I'm not sure how far it is in miles, but I've driven there before, so know I would do it again. If I could aford the high dollar stud fee, I'd take my mare, my heart horse, already a champion to be bred to Little KIngs Black Velvet in North Carolina. I think he is the most beautiful of all the Buckaroo stallions and if only I had the finaicial resouces, no distance would be too far for him. Well you know what they say, "If wishes were horses".

I don't think I would send another mare to be bred to an outside stallion, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the stallions we bred two of our mares to in 2006. Only one of the mares settled and she must have slipped the foal after being confirmed in foal because she had a "false" pregnancy. We suspect (but don't know) that she might have lost the foal on the return trip back to our farm, because she would have been in a vulnerable point in the pregnancy. But at any rate, no foals and lots of expense. Yes, we could have sent the mares back the next year, but by then our stallion was old enough to use.

But we found another way to get a foal sired by a choice stallion; Buy a super nice mare already in foal to him!! We then had the mare foaled out by the seller and the mare and her pinto FILLY were shipped to us when the foal was about 3 weeks old. Didn't have to worry about the mare slipping the foal in transit, or stay up watching the mare. And we ended up with a very nice mare too.

I agree with Target's mom.Many years ago I sent 2 mares(both with foals on side to a farm about 14 hours away.Picked up pregnant?? mares and 2 foals myself and drove home.Foals were sick by the time I got home(found out later farm had picked up bug at AMHA Nationals) bug went through barn and horses were sick from Thanksgiving until March-grandaughters gelding was in intensive care at New Bolton. Sent mares back to farm again only 1 got pregnant(fertility problem with original stud) $6000 later I got 1 really nice colt from 1 mare and nothing from the other(she had foals later here bred to my own stallion)Not a good experience.I like the idea of buying a mare in foal to your choice stallion, having it foaled out and then shipped home.Babies make out well shipping-they just eat and lay down and sleep.

Bevanne, I so respect your opinion, and therfore will not send my beloved mare out to be bred. You just gave me an excuse not to save the money for the breeding. Also I sent our stallion to a trainer with two testicles, when he came back he only had one. Come to find out the trainer had stangles go through their barn and my guy got a high fever and that caused one of his to atrophy. My vet recommended bredding him to make sure he was still furtile and he is, but minus one of his boys. Thanks for the info, hope you are well, and hope to see you in July at area one.

I have driven 15 hours one way for breedings-we did that 4 separate years and ended up with 4 beautiful fillies. I have plenty of stallions here,but one mare just would not have matched well with them so I found a stallion that would. It was worth it and the people that had the stallion are now very good family friends. Actually they have a mare here right now being bred to one of our stallions. I do understand the others problems and there are always risks, but I have personally only had good results.

Well I'm not sure how far it is in miles, but I've driven there before, so know I would do it again. If I could aford the high dollar stud fee, I'd take my mare, my heart horse, already a champion to be bred to Little KIngs Black Velvet in North Carolina. I think he is the most beautiful of all the Buckaroo stallions and if only I had the finaicial resouces, no distance would be too far for him. Well you know what they say, "If wishes were horses".
As you know, I think Velvet is also the nicest son of Buckeroo - certainly the best producing based on my research - so I can understand why you'd want to breed a champion mare to him.

I have another comment for you...see below.

But we found another way to get a foal sired by a choice stallion; Buy a super nice mare already in foal to him!! We then had the mare foaled out by the seller and the mare and her pinto FILLY were shipped to us when the foal was about 3 weeks old. Didn't have to worry about the mare slipping the foal in transit, or stay up watching the mare. And we ended up with a very nice mare too.
Mary, didn't we wait until she was more like 3 or 4 months old? Or am I remembering wrong?

Bevanne, I so respect your opinion, and therfore will not send my beloved mare out to be bred. You just gave me an excuse not to save the money for the breeding. Also I sent our stallion to a trainer with two testicles, when he came back he only had one. Come to find out the trainer had stangles go through their barn and my guy got a high fever and that caused one of his to atrophy. My vet recommended bredding him to make sure he was still furtile and he is, but minus one of his boys. Thanks for the info, hope you are well, and hope to see you in July at area one.
Bad things can happen anywhere, anytime, under any circumstance. You have to consider all the aspects, such as the quality of the care the mare would receive at the stallion farm, the reputation of the stallion owner, how they handle the seperation of breeding stock from their show stock (avoiding virus', bacteria, etc.), the quality of the stallion's foals (is he worth the risk?), etc.

In my opinion, a mare that has trailored a lot, such as a former show mare, has a much better chance of not slipping the foal due to the transport. They just don't get as stressed over the ride like a novice mare might.

I have driven 15 hours one way for breedings-we did that 4 separate years and ended up with 4 beautiful fillies. I have plenty of stallions here,but one mare just would not have matched well with them so I found a stallion that would. It was worth it and the people that had the stallion are now very good family friends. Actually they have a mare here right now being bred to one of our stallions. I do understand the others problems and there are always risks, but I have personally only had good results.
I'm with you! It's a great way to get an awesome foal you might not otherwise have the chace to get. And I would much rather select my own mare for the stallion instead of buying on already in foal. I've done it both ways (bought mare in foal and sent mares out) and I've had the better luch, BY FAR, by selecting my own mare and sending her out to the stallion.

It's another option. And as for as "how far" I think that totally depends on the mare. If she's used to traveling, horses travel for days and do fine. Just either do it yourself or hire someone reputable to do the transport for you.

As you know, I think Velvet is also the nicest son of Buckeroo - certainly the best producing based on my research - so I can understand why you'd want to breed a champion mare to him.

I have another comment for you...see below.

Mary, didn't we wait until she was more like 3 or 4 months old? Or am I remembering wrong?

Bad things can happen anywhere, anytime, under any circumstance. You have to consider all the aspects, such as the quality of the care the mare would receive at the stallion farm, the reputation of the stallion owner, how they handle the seperation of breeding stock from their show stock (avoiding virus', bacteria, etc.), the quality of the stallion's foals (is he worth the risk?), etc.

In my opinion, a mare that has trailored a lot, such as a former show mare, has a much better chance of not slipping the foal due to the transport. They just don't get as stressed over the ride like a novice mare might.

I'm with you! It's a great way to get an awesome foal you might not otherwise have the chace to get. And I would much rather select my own mare for the stallion instead of buying on already in foal. I've done it both ways (bought mare in foal and sent mares out) and I've had the better luch, BY FAR, by selecting my own mare and sending her out to the stallion.

It's another option. And as for as "how far" I think that totally depends on the mare. If she's used to traveling, horses travel for days and do fine. Just either do it yourself or hire someone reputable to do the transport for you.

How common is it to send mares away to be bred AND foaled out? That way you can pick your own mare and not have to worry about her losing the foal on the way home. Do a lot of farms just not offer that option?

How common is it to send mares away to be bred AND foaled out? That way you can pick your own mare and not have to worry about her losing the foal on the way home. Do a lot of farms just not offer that option?

I can't say for sure how many, but of the three farms I've sent mares to over the years (for breeding to a specific stallion at the farm) all three offered the service. Maybe that's because they were all "larger" or at least more well-known farms. Again, I think doing your homework and understanding the "quality" of the farm (their ethics, care for their horses, reputation, etc.) all plays a role.

I am totally what would be considered a small farm, but I have foaled out four mares for other people over the years. Three were mares bred to one of my stallions, one was a mare that just needed a place to foal out. It's very nerve-wracking and unless you've really got the right set-up (cameras, enough eyes to watch, good vet close by) I wouldn't suggest just anyone take on that responsibility. At my new place I don't feel like I have a very good set-up so that is why I am now choosing to send my mare out instead of doing it myself.

I've really come around to the opinion that there are PLENTY of awesome stallions out there, so I'm all for sending a mare or two away (and all the costs/risks associated with it) instead of having to always have my own stallion. Plus, even if a person does have an awesome stallion, you still need outside blood to keep your program moving forward, imo.

And I've heard lots of people say this or that "stallion doesn't stand to outside mares." My experience has been if your mare is nice enough conformationally, easy to handle and you are offering the possibility of a show home should the foal merit it, you will find plenty of awesome stallions that are available.

Good luck in your search! I find searching for the perfect match for a mare to be a lot of fun!
default_yes.gif

Last edited:
We've sent mares out, but only to people I know and trust. Too many bad stories from others on sick horses, open mares, etc.

As for buying and having the mare foaled out, that is always an option to discuss with the stallion owner. You just have to plan on the board for x number of months and foaling out/care costs. Again discuss it with the stallion owner.

Bottom line a really good contract will protect you (and the stallion owner) from any misunderstandings/problems.

I drove my mare 5 hours north to be bred last year. I picked her up after about 2 weeks and she foaled a lovely colt on May 11th
default_smile.png

I can't say for sure how many, but of the three farms I've sent mares to over the years (for breeding to a specific stallion at the farm) all three offered the service. Maybe that's because they were all "larger" or at least more well-known farms. Again, I think doing your homework and understanding the "quality" of the farm (their ethics, care for their horses, reputation, etc.) all plays a role.

I am totally what would be considered a small farm, but I have foaled out four mares for other people over the years. Three were mares bred to one of my stallions, one was a mare that just needed a place to foal out. It's very nerve-wracking and unless you've really got the right set-up (cameras, enough eyes to watch, good vet close by) I wouldn't suggest just anyone take on that responsibility. At my new place I don't feel like I have a very good set-up so that is why I am now choosing to send my mare out instead of doing it myself.

I've really come around to the opinion that there are PLENTY of awesome stallions out there, so I'm all for sending a mare or two away (and all the costs/risks associated with it) instead of having to always have my own stallion. Plus, even if a person does have an awesome stallion, you still need outside blood to keep your program moving forward, imo.

And I've heard lots of people say this or that "stallion doesn't stand to outside mares." My experience has been if your mare is nice enough conformationally, easy to handle and you are offering the possibility of a show home should the foal merit it, you will find plenty of awesome stallions that are available.

Good luck in your search! I find searching for the perfect match for a mare to be a lot of fun!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the help! I definitely think if we sent a mare away for breeding choosing a larger, reputable farm would be the best option...the more credentials the better the odds are of everything going smoothly it seems. Searching for stallions is a lot of fun
default_smile.png
It's exciting to dream up what the foal may look like!

I've sent mares out, but to one farm... someone close by, and someone I trust. I have 4 mares, and my stallion there right now. I'm really leery on sending any of my horses far away. I've heard too many horror stories, and have been involved in a rescue situation from someone we thought could be trusted. Turns out horses died there due to neglect. I would not at all be able to deal well with one of my horses ending up in a situation like that, especially if I had sent them there for breeding.

So, to answer your question, I would not send my mares very far at all for breeding. Really my distance limit would be somewhere close enough that I can go check on them in a day trip. If I can't do that, it's too far away.

I've sent mares out, but to one farm... someone close by, and someone I trust. I have 4 mares, and my stallion there right now. I'm really leery on sending any of my horses far away. I've heard too many horror stories, and have been involved in a rescue situation from someone we thought could be trusted. Turns out horses died there due to neglect. I would not at all be able to deal well with one of my horses ending up in a situation like that, especially if I had sent them there for breeding.

So, to answer your question, I would not send my mares very far at all for breeding. Really my distance limit would be somewhere close enough that I can go check on them in a day trip. If I can't do that, it's too far away.

I completely agree about not sending them further than a day trip away. I think longer than 5 hours would be too much for me, personally. I'd like to visit the farm and make sure they care for the horses as much as we do, or more
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back