How far along is she

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with the vet. I hope they are able to help and give you an answer. Let us know when you find out!

Allright here is the latest. I called 4 vets in my area all with the same result....

There is nothing we can do for you......we don't ultrasound.....can't palpate......and if we do a bloodtest we have to send it out and it will take 3 to 4 weeks for the results!!!! Seriously are you freaking kidding me.

Well I spoke with the original owner who told me to the best of her knowledge she did not take, however is she is bred that she would be due by mid August as the Stallion she was running with died in September.

Then I have the owner who sold her to me that swears she has seen foal movement. Seriously I'm going crazy can't get a definative answer from anyone. So you folks are my last hope. Give me your best guess, I won't hold you to it
default_smile.png

Does she look like she is a couple weeks from foaling to you?

No full milk sack or obvious signs. The only thing I notice is that she is laying down a lot, on her side with like her head down. I don't know if that is just the heat though. HHHHEEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!

Allright here is the latest. I called 4 vets in my area all with the same result....

There is nothing we can do for you......we don't ultrasound.....can't palpate......and if we do a bloodtest we have to send it out and it will take 3 to 4 weeks for the results!!!! Seriously are you freaking kidding me.

Well I spoke with the original owner who told me to the best of her knowledge she did not take, however is she is bred that she would be due by mid August as the Stallion she was running with died in September.

Then I have the owner who sold her to me that swears she has seen foal movement. Seriously I'm going crazy can't get a definative answer from anyone. So you folks are my last hope. Give me your best guess, I won't hold you to it
default_smile.png

Does she look like she is a couple weeks from foaling to you?

No full milk sack or obvious signs. The only thing I notice is that she is laying down a lot, on her side with like her head down. I don't know if that is just the heat though. HHHHEEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can suggest is to feel her tummy just in front of her bag when she eats her dinner or drinks. My mares always come and drink when I give them fresh water in the pasture so I "test" them as they take their turns. I have always felt foal movement on all my pregnant mares.

Just keep watching her bag and try to feel for movement like a few have said. Sorry the vet was no help.
sad.gif

I'm sorry but I dont think you will get an answer to your question! She looks as though she could be pregnant, but not due yet. On the other hand she could simply be exhibiting the normal tummy of a mare who has had 3 foals. I think you are going to have to tell your little girls that she may be in foal if you are all lucky, but prepare them for the fact that she may not.

When you said in your first post that she was running with the stallion from May to October, I must admit that I counted October as the last month that she could have been covered. Then I read that the stallion died in September. Do you know when he died and was he with the mares up to that time?

So lets take mid September as a possible last covering date. Your girl could be due around mid August, but I dont think she will foal in a couple of weeks. She could go two weeks either side of her 'due' date, so that could put her around end of August - which is possible if you are feeling any sort of slight filling in her bag. Or she could be doing what a lot seem to be doing this year and going well over her due dates, so say she could have another 6 odd weeks to go. This makes it more of a possibility that she could be in foal. Of course all this is just a very general synopsis (Sp?) But I was just trying to 'imagine' possible dates for you.

I really dont think you can do more than just observe her. If she is pregnant you will start to see some changes very soon, and if she's not I hope your little girls will understand that sometimes these things are just not meant to be, and concentrate their love on her instead.

Good luck!

Thanks so much Anna. I was told from the lady I bought her from of the May-Oct dates. When I got in touch with the original owner she said the stallion died in September and he was with the mares at the time. I guess I'm just confused with the bag situation since I haven't owned her long and don't know what she normally looks like. I've read that sometimes the bag doesn't fill until right before foaling but I'm not sure if that is the case for a mare that has had 3 foals. My girls will of course be a little bummed if she doesn't have a "baby" but they love her just the same. She is a great pony very patient with the girls grooming her, and she lets me feel her tummy and boobies no problem
default_smile.png
So either way it's not the end of the world. I just wish I knew for sure.

I am sorry to hear the vets, in your area, didn't have more to offer you

and the conflicting information from previous owners.

When I've had our mares estrone sulfate test taken I've had the results

back no later than the next day.

I guess the ball in your court, now. You'll have to do the

watching for the mare and keep your little girls and your excitement in check,

till you're sure it a no go or a go.

Darn.

Things can change quickly, at the end of a pregnancy but at least you do have

a stall to bring her to in the case of a blessed event.

You might keep a camera handy to photograph her bag, so you can keep a very

accurate record of any potential development, rather than leaving it to

memory. Bags aren't the last word in confirmation of pregnancy, for some

mares, but it's better than having nothing to go by.

Hang in there.

Yeah I was more than a little miffed at the vets.

The conflicting info is driving me nuts. Although I did ask her original owner if she usually is a chubby horse and she said "oh no, not at all" So from what I am looking at if she is not bred she is definalty chubby as her tummy sticks out well past her hips!!!

I guess I will just have to wait and see as everyone has said. Too bad I'm so impatient
default_sad.png
I will keep a close eye on the bag though.

Awesome I will take new pics tomorrow. I'm driving my poor husband crazy.

Awesome I will take new pics tomorrow. I'm driving my poor husband crazy.

LOL!! Husbands are there to be driven crazy in my opinion!!

Some more pictures would be good, especially from behind with you kneeling so we can see the view of her sides.

Glad to hear that your girls love her anyway and she loves them. Hang in there, she might suprise you all yet!
default_yes.gif

I do not believe this mare is in foal IF her due date is August. I'm sorry because I know you want her to be.

I am sorry to say that I agree with Parmela, she doesn't look like she will have a baby soon. Sorry and I hope she proves me wrong.

Latest posts

Back