How far along is she

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I3Emommy

Reaction score
I just got this mare last week and was told that she is bred and due between July and September. I'm not sure she looks bred and if you folks think she does how much longer does she have to go. The only info I know is that she has had 3 foals before and that she is 10 years old.

horses 001.JPG

horses 013.JPG

horses 005.JPG

She sure looks preggars to me lol it's hard to know tho if she looks like that always her hooks n udder or if she is starting to relax do you have older pics of her? Hoping she is in foal for you
default_smile.png

I don't have older pics. I just got her so these were the first I took. I'm glad you think she looks preggers, probably has a ways to go though!!!

Just a guess here.....

IF she is in foal I'd say she has a quite a ways to go.

She looks like a mare who might have had a baby in the past

but not one imminently getting close to a due date.

Watch for more changes to her girl parts and her bag, for oncoming signs,

as time moves on.

There are some good photos, if you do a search, that show

what some of the currently or past mares have looked like, in

that department so you can compare.

Equuisize, since the previous owners told me she should be due by September do you not think she is looking on par for that due date? I will check out the other threads and do some comparisons. Thanks so much.

So a September foaling would mean they were still breeding her in October, right?

So early October? - Late October? - knowing that could help.

I forgot, is she a maiden? How old?

These mini mares are so individual and things like length of back,

how tall they are, how many foals they may have had or if they've

they've had any, all affect how they look thru the body/should they

be in foal or a simply somewhat overweight.

If she should be in foal you could start to expect to see some changes

fairly soon .... in my experiences around the end of the 9th month and

10th month things can change up quite quickly so you start getting that

real rush of excitement that you're really going to have a foal.

Do keep an eye on her as it sounds the dates are not written in granite,

should she be bred.

(not that of late, many of us would recognize an on time foaling - LOL)

PS I forgot I was going to ask you what part of the country are you in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much you've been a great help. I'm going to try to answer all of you're questions before I forget

I live in Michigan

She is about 36" she is a mini/Shetland hybrid
default_smile.png

She has had 3 past foals

She is 10 years old

I bought her from a woman who only owned her for about 3 weeks, she knew her previous owner that owned her since she was born. She lived with her 3 full sisters who were all pasture bred to the same stallion. She said they were pastured together from July to October 2010. One sister had her foal about 3 weeks ago, then the was another sister who looked ready to go ANYTIME, then there was my girl who the owner claimed was starting to "bag up" and she said she saw the baby move, the 4th sister looked in foal as well but a little smaller. I'm just paranoid not knowing when she is due if she is in foal at all. I have 2 littles girls who are VERY excited and ask me EVERYDAY when she will have her baby. She looks pregnant to me but I am definately not an expert. I have tried to feel the baby and have never been able to and also have never seen any signs of milk. I could handle not knowing when she is due, it's just knowing if that is the hard part.

Well at least I'm having some fun watching Peanut and Suzie!!!!

I'm glad she's had a babies before.

Not that that is a guarantee of anything but it means she

knows the process.

She's also a nice size mare.

You've got a lot in your favor for a first time experience

should she be coming right along.

If you are lucky enough to catch a live birth it might make you

feel more confident, too, should she be in foal.

Hopefully very soon, here, with either Peanut or Suzie.

Search out our LB member, Kim-Crayon Box Minis, if you haven't

already, she has some fabulous pages, along with some other members

who have documented a lot of this, for all our information.

I know it's hard for your little girls....it's hard for us, waiting, too.

I have been to the crayon box site it is awesome. I guess I will do some more searching. Do you know if I can get a horse blood pregnancy test or is that just something vets have?

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but she may not even be pregnant. My mini looked just like that when I got her in May, they thought she was due to foal in June. Well it's now the end of July and she is much smaller in the belly since I've been feeding her properly. So I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant! If your mare is friendly I'd be feeling her belly every day trying to feel the foal moving. If you do feel it then you know she is bred! Then start feeling her bag for any changes. Don't just look at it, feel it and you'll notice if/when it changes so you can start to get ready.

Thanks so much thats the problem. I have to at least know if she is bred, then I can handle the when. When do you think would be the best time to feel the baby?

Thanks so much thats the problem. I have to at least know if she is bred, then I can handle the when. When do you think would be the best time to feel the baby?

Yes, there is a blood test, called an estrone sulfate, if I remember correctly.

It's a bit pricey, here anyway, but it might be worth it to put your mind at ease,

one way or the other.

You'd know to start watching closely or that she needs some time in the fat girl

pasture and some exercise.

Sorry, was going to add that dinner time is the best time to feel

for a baby. While she is eating you can 'hug' her around her

hip area - some mares you can anyway - or press upward just in front

of her bag.... some babies will push/kick back at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will look into the blood test because I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!! Isn't it getting pretty late into the year to be having foals?

Sounds like a good choice for you to have the blood test drawn.

Bit late, for babies, if you get winter weather early.

Last time I was in Michigan, a long time ago, it snowed

on Halloween.

Do you have shelter should she have a foal?

Here in Western Washington it's pretty moderate, all year round,

most years.

I like babies from mid June to early July. Lots of time for them

to soak up the Vitimin D, grow and stretch those darling baby legs

before the rain sets in.

We've quite a few Michigan folks on here, maybe one of them will pop

in with some advice.

I do have a foaling stall set up for her in the event she is bred. As far as the weather here you never can tell. Sometimes it is snowing before Halloween, other times we don't get snow until close to the New Year. Gotta love Michigan weather. I hope the vet can get out here soon
default_smile.png

The blood test is good, but will not give you a delivery date, or round about date, ask your vet if they can ultra sound mini's, that will give you a date to start watching. Regrefully some vets don't have the equipment to do it. Some mares if bred before will maintain a small bag, and round figure. But! If she has been with a stallion as the previous owner states she could very well be pregnant. I had a mare deliver last year in December, Hubby kept saying she was just fat, but I knew better. Some mares will get preggo during colder months. One thing about mini mares is that they are unpredictable. Good Luck! No foals for us this year or next, economy is too bad and I won't give them away. Hope things look better in a few years.

Yes I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. There are 2 vets relatively close to my area, but I'm not going to hold my breath about an u/s machine as they both are completely mobile with no home office. Hopefully I can at least get the bloodtest if not the u/s.

I cant believe you had a mare foal in December I've never heard of that. I would feel terrible for her if she were in Michigan with me.

I will let everyone know what I here from the vet. I wish someone would tell me oh yeah don't worry she looks sooooo pregnant but thats only my husband who knows nothing
default_smile.png

Yes I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. There are 2 vets relatively close to my area, but I'm not going to hold my breath about an u/s machine as they both are completely mobile with no home office. Hopefully I can at least get the bloodtest if not the u/s.

I cant believe you had a mare foal in December I've never heard of that. I would feel terrible for her if she were in Michigan with me.

I will let everyone know what I here from the vet. I wish someone would tell me oh yeah don't worry she looks sooooo pregnant but thats only my husband who knows nothing
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back