How does this work? Can the foal be R registered

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieB

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I'm not sure how (or if) this would work.

I recently purchased an AMHA mare from an elderly lady. This mare is bred to, what I'd believed to be an AMHA-only stallion. The elderly lady gave me the AMHA breeding certificate and transfer paper. She's a super-nice lady, but is elderly and gets really confused by all the paperwork stuff (she originally had given me the stallion breeding report rather than the certificate, because she didn't understand what a new owner needed to have when a bred mare was sold). Anyhow, this lady has always only used the AMHA.

I'm planning on hardshipping this mare into AMHR.

And I was also going to hardship the foal into AMHR, if she indeed has one.

I did some more research, though, and have now found that the stallion is also AMHR registered. But, he was never brought permanent, and was never transfered into this lady's name. I'm sure the reason is because she bought him as a weanling, and since she only used AMHA, she didn't bother to do anything with his R papers.

Sooooo, what do I have to do if I want to register the foal? Since the stallion is already AMHR, and none of his paperwork has been followed up on & I don't have any breeding certificates or anything on it either, it wouldn't be a simple AMHA to AMHR hardship anymore would it?

I'd be more than happy to pay the hardship fee from AMHA to AMHR on the foal. But I don't think AMHR will allow it now, will they?

If I explain this all to AMHR, is there any chance that AMHR would accept the AMHA information as proof that the stallion was bred to the mare, owned by that lady, brought permanent in AMHA, etc?? Especially since AMHA does DNA, which is sure-fire proof that the breeding is accurate. And the AMHA stuff is all up to date, including the ownership info and the permanent status of the stallion.

Any suggestions?

Or am I stuck with only having this foal AMHA registered??

I'm pretty sure you could jump through a lot of hoops to get the stallions R papers updated and pay back fees for all the missed paperwork... But, it would probably be easier to just do a standard A to R hardship on the foal and pay hardship fees (after its born and has been A registered).

I could do that? AMHR wouldn't give me a problem because the stallion listed on the AMHA papers is already registered AMHR?

That's what I'd originally thought of doing, but then thought that if AMHR checks & sees the stallion is already AMHR and never brought permanent, ownership never transfered, no breeding reports filed, etc, then they might not do the hardship. Would really hate to send in the $$$ and & still end up with no AMHR registry on the foal.

I could do that? AMHR wouldn't give me a problem because the stallion listed on the AMHA papers is already registered AMHR? That's what I'd originally thought of doing, but then thought that if AMHR checks & sees the stallion is already AMHR and never brought permanent, ownership never transfered, no breeding reports filed, etc, then they might not do the hardship. Would really hate to send in the $$$ and & still end up with no AMHR registry on the foal.
I doubt the registry would even look to see if the stallion happened to have R papers at one time, and I doubt they would care. As long as you have the A papers to hardship the foal with, I'm sure R would be happy to take your hardship fees and hand over registration papers. [i could be wrong, but I'm sure if I am, someone will correct me.]

You're probably right....money sure can make things happen, can't it. lol

Thank you for the insight
default_smile.png

I'm pretty sure you could jump through a lot of hoops to get the stallions R papers updated and pay back fees for all the missed paperwork... But, it would probably be easier to just do a standard A to R hardship on the foal and pay hardship fees (after its born and has been A registered).
This is also my advice and the way I would handle it if they were my horses
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

The only problem I've had with registering a horse with AMHR from its AMHA papers was when the horse already had R papers. I bought it with AMHA papers only and sent them in to AMHR to hardship. They sent them back and said the horse was already R registered. I contacted the previous owner, who had lost the R papers and sold her A only. I got her to write a letter stating the papers had been lost and she gave me a transfer. Sent all that in and got the R papers for the price of a duplicate certificate and transfer fee.

Depending upon how close you are to the lady you bought your mare from (physically and personally), you may be able to pay the late transfer fee on the stallion, have him brought permanent, send in the late stallion report and related fees, and get full AMHR papers on your foal. Good luck to you.

If the lady has the AMHR paperwork and still owns the stallion it would be a lot cheaper to transfer him into her name, update the paperwork, and send in the stallion report. Transfer is $25.00, bringing paperwork permanent $10.00, and the late stallion report fee of $25.00.

Hardshipping cost of the mare will be $260.00. Now if you mare has a filly it will anadditional $220.00 to hardship her in. IF you mare has a colt the fee is $420.00 to hardship him in.

IF it were me, I'd talk to the old lady first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sent in my first A to R hardship, so don't know if that works any differently than a traditional hardship, but the other bonus I could see from jumping through hoops with the old lady is that you don't lose the stallions pedigree on your R papers. At least one side has something besides "unknown"
default_wacko.png

Even if the stallion could be updated to permanent in AMHR, if the mare is not able to be AMHR registered, it wouldn't really matter would it?? Don't both parents have to be AMHR registered or else you just have to hardship the foal and the mare.

Even if the stallion could be updated to permanent in AMHR, if the mare is not able to be AMHR registered, it wouldn't really matter would it?? Don't both parents have to be AMHR registered or else you just have to hardship the foal and the mare.
I was thinking the exact same thing I am not sure what the benifit of having the stallions R papers brought current will be to you since the mare is AMHA only unless I read that wrong? Or are you saying if you hardship the mare before the foal is born and update his papers you will not have to hardship the foal just the mare?

If you can get the stallion brought permanent, you would only need to hardship the mare. Then the foal can be registered without hardshipping. I agree with Sheryl, see if you can get the stallion brought permanent. You could also try the original owner since the lady you bought from never put the stallion in her name.

I'm like some of the others...I'd bite the bullet and just hardship the foal off its AMHA papers-you wouldn't have to rely on anyone else to do anything or have the hassle and there would be absolutely no problems with AMHR (I hardshipped a AMHA foal that had a AMHR sire and everything was okay).

Iowa & Lisa, I'd planned on hardshipping the mare into AMHR before the foal is registered. That's why the dilema with the stallion. Was hoping I could get out of having to hardship both the mare & foal.

Thank you everybody for your help & info!

Latest posts

Back