How do you train to run behind a golf cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the reality is anything with a horse is a tragic accident waiting to happen
AMEN!! You are so right Lisa, we use the best judgement and skills available to us and still things do happen. This is not something that's particularly high on the danger list if done with some common sense.

Jan

i'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford a nice golf cart..however i've ponied other horses off the back of my cart while working another horse in the shafts. it's all about the same differnce in my oppinion. i'd love to have something like that. I know alot of Standardbred people that train their standardbreds behind their pickups. i'm not sure they all use the "gait" thing that the last person was talking about but they usually rig up some sort of structure to make it easier and safer to attach the horses to. It's quite effective and EFFICIENT. you can work a number of horses in the time it would have taken you to drive one. i think there are far more dangerous things in the world.

we exercise our horses in a similar way. we have a lawn/garden tractor that pulls a wagon. a person (or 2) sit in the wagon and we exercise 5-6 horses at a time. some are tied in emergency release knots to the side and back and 1-2 are held by the rider. we can stop on a dime if a horse appears to be getting in trouble. the horses like this method and some actually look forward to it! works well and you can go in straight lines and watch their legs and movement for assessment. jennifer :saludando:
I am posting this picture for Jennifer-

Jenniferstrainning.jpg

OHHH the lawn mower! now that's a good idea.. i'm not sure if mine would go fast enough to really exericse them though! LOL

I'm afraid for me that just shows exactly how dangerous (or potentially dangerous) this can be!!

If it works for you, fine, you will never find me doing it though and my horses condition is just fine without it.

I actually enjoy the exercise times and the interaction- I really do not want to "automate" yet another thing.

If you have too many horses, sell some
default_smile.png

Kidding aside, I think this is horrendously overrated I shan't be doing it and good luck to anyone who does.

As for there being more dangerous things around, accidents happen, etc- Yes I know that all too well.

Turning my horses out on the freeway would be far more dangerous but I do not do that either.

This is a very old, very worn out argument to drag out every single time people disagree about something- basically I will always try to make my horses lives as danger free as possible and I would have though everyone else felt the same.

I see real danger here- as do a number of other people- some people do not.

That is the end of it as far as I am concerned.

I will always try to make my horses lives as danger free as possible and I would have though everyone else felt the same.

Sigh... quite a big jump to get from I care about my horses safety and I dont do it if you do then you don't care about them being as safe and danger free as I do

I am sure everyone who reads here, posts here and learns here is trying to do the best they can and provide a safe haven for there horses and other animals- We all try to make our horses lives as danger free as possible but we cant keep them in a padded stall, some feel pasture is safe others prefer barns, some feel showing is not safe, others feel breeding isnt safe there are a million scenarios, a million what ifs and a million risks

We all do things differently from showing to conditioning to breeding choices and every day routines my way works for me as others work for them. Not sure I would be willing to make the leap to my way equals the ONLY caring safe way but that is just me
default_wacko.png
:

Well with mine, I sit on the passenger side and I drive from that side. I just hold onto the lead and go. Peanut and Dealer have been put through so much that nothing fases them too much anymore.

I was actually out there with the golf cart today.

Well for those that do it and use gas, I still say that those fumes are going right up into those horses. Why not go behind the carts and stoop down to their level and see if they are or are not doing this on your particular mobile?

BUTT!!!!!! Here is a brain fart for you for the sake of keeping the peace hopefully:

If anyone that is doing this and wants to try to solve that problem, you can get an extender on your muffler in a L shape and simply attach it right on to your existing one. You can get two of them; one that is the L and then a second one that is LONG. That will at least re-route some of the fumes to go out to the side, instead of directly in their faces. This will cost you less than ten bucks. Not a bad little investment. If I were doing it, I would.

BUTT! You'd have to make very certain that a horse did not get along side of it and get burned on the dang thing.

I also did get out my Rover tonite and stood behind it and was quickly gagging for dear life from the gas fumes.

Shutting up now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will always try to make my horses lives as danger free as possible and I would have though everyone else felt the same.

Sigh... quite a big jump to get from I care about my horses safety and I dont do it if you do then you don't care about them being as safe and danger free as I do

I am sure everyone who reads here, posts here and learns here is trying to do the best they can and provide a safe haven for there horses and other animals- We all try to make our horses lives as danger free as possible but we cant keep them in a padded stall, some feel pasture is safe others prefer barns, some feel showing is not safe, others feel breeding is safe there are a million scenarios, a million what ifs and a million risks

We all do things differently from showing to conditioning to breeding choices and every day routines my way works for me as others work for them. Not sure I would be willing to make the leap to my way equals the ONLY caring safe way but that is just me
default_wacko.png
:

I have absolutely NO idea how you managed to twist my post to mean ANY of this.

Why do we not agree to ignore each others posts in future as I for one am sick and tired of you deliberately misinterpretating my posts and then sitting down and picking them to pieces.

Honestly do you have nothing better to do??

Nevermind decided really what is the point lol

Last edited:
My cart is gas, and the horses do not stay behind the cart. They are out to the side- and stay next to the passenger or the driver. I have sat on the back- down where the golf clubs would sit, with no problem with fumes, and I have allergies and other issues that would be affected.

At least they are out in the fresh air. Have you ever ridden in the back of a truck or right behind a truck or in a horse trailer right behind a truck- especially a diesel truck? P.U.!!!! It all sucks right into the trailer when the stench/smoke comes from the truck, with less ventilation in a trailer.

Back