How do you train to run behind a golf cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
Many of the winning trainers and World level amateurs at shows have told us that they straight line run their horses behind a golf cart. Being enthusiastic newcomers we bought a used golf cart. We made sure the horses were halter trained and would run with us down the dirt road, in the yard and following the golf cart (not attached to it). The difficult part came when we tried to figure out how to attache the horse to the cart, drive and have them calmly run along behind or beside. Does someone have experience with this process?

Well I'm sure people do it, but it's dangerous and I wouldn't do it.

First of all, if your golf cart is gas powered, forget it. The fumes will make them sick.

But if you must do it, the safest way would be for someone else to just hold them and not tie them.

Yeah, this sounds like an accident waiting to happen! :new_shocked:

I wouldn't suggest it's a one person job and I certainly wouldn't tie a horse onto the cart and drive. Have someone hold the lead rope, if you must do it at all.

The results could be nasty. :no:

I routinely exercise my horses on an electric golf cart - it's quiet, no fumes and the horses have no problems jogging alongside, assuming they are broke to lead and responsive to cues to begin with. It's also very handy in bringing horses in and out of the pasture if you have some distance to cover. I have seen the worst side of golf cart leading, not going there but it was ugly.

I start mine VERY slowly. I watch them while we crawl along, and if someone sets back I stop until they come up to me again. As they understand what's asked of them, we step up to a jog and most of them have no problem staying with me. If you have a helper, it's great to have someone walk along behind at first but I rarely have that luxury. I have one filly who occasionally sets back out of the blue, and I have to keep a close eye on her and be ready to slam on the brakes, but she is the exception. I think the danger is in forgetting you have horses along for the ride. If you don't keep an eye back there you can sure get them into trouble. Also - should go without saying - it's not a good way to halter break a horse.
default_wacko.png
:

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people and farms do this. I do not think the fumes are going to harm the horse because I do not think they are blowing right in their faces
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I'd imagine the best way to train the horse to follow it would be to first have a halter broke horse that leads, and then get a helper (maybe even with a lunge whip) to encourage the horse to come along with the cart at a very slow pace and do that a couple-few days before speeding up. I guess it would be even more ideal if you had three people involved... one to drive, one to hold one or two horses, and one ouside the cart behind the hores.

Many farms do this to exercise all sizes of horses and I would bet the horses get a good workout and enjoy the variation from just round penning.

It's like training to do anything. Start slow, associate them with the cart, slowly on a long lead begin, etc.

My friend does this all the time -- and uses it to bring them back & forth from the further pastures. They adjust very easily -- even her Vanner -- she uses a gas cart and no issues with the minor fumes. I don't even notice the fumes when I ride in it. She uses it to condition, especially the driving horses. You know we don't always have the time to do the full harness up but, they need to do the time to keep their legs & lungs working fully.

I have seen some who have use the method all the time and can tie 3 or so behind. They used a bar attached behind that was just that, a straight bar to tie to. YES you have to keep watch, yes it is a great exercise for them and once adjusted they seem quite happy with this.

I dont have a golf cart but boy would I love one I have to say that is my favorite part of Nationals is driving that thing- we led horses back and forth to the ring that way and mine had never seen one before.. however we did have more then one person so one could jump out if need be..

I did see people in the arena's with horses trotting and cantering beside them sometimes 2 or 3 at a time

we exercise our horses in a similar way. we have a lawn/garden tractor that pulls a wagon. a person (or 2) sit in the wagon and we exercise 5-6 horses at a time. some are tied in emergency release knots to the side and back and 1-2 are held by the rider. we can stop on a dime if a horse appears to be getting in trouble. the horses like this method and some actually look forward to it! works well and you can go in straight lines and watch their legs and movement for assessment. jennifer :saludando:

I do have a gas golf cart and there are no fumes. If there are fumes, it needs mechanical help. Also, the horses have a tendancy to come around on the side, not stay in the back. The stallion thinks he is supposed to race it or pull it along when he goes out and he loves it.

SAFETY is your first concern. I never take more than two at a time and one is on each side. Also, dont start out running. Go SLOW so they will walk with you and while your helper is holding them, they need to tell you when you need to STOP if there is a problem. If you are walking and start out slow, once they get the idea of going with the cart- it may take several times, they will speed up some. I never go faster than a trot.

Do NOT use a golf cart that has been lifted, or has wheels that stick out past the fenders, or other dangerous issues where your horse could be hurt. I highly recommend a rear view mirror too of some sort so you can also observe what your horses are doing.

Also, leave PLENTY of space between the golf cart and your horse. If your horse is trotting behind, keep in mind they have to have clearance between their forward stride and the back of your cart. You dont want them striding forward to have their leg hit the cart.

Going in a straight line, and out around the neighborhood, is a lot better on their legs than lounging in a circle. It also gets them used to dogs, kids on bikes, etc.... if you live in a fairly quiet neighborhood- but I would not attempt that until they are used to the cart and you are used to ponying them with it and can take your foot off the gas at the first sign of trouble. Know your horses and read their expressions. If mine are startled at something new, we slow to a walk, or even stop, to look at it and then SLOWLY continue on past.

OMG! :new_shocked: This sounds like a horrific idea and something I would never do.

That being said, I would suggest having a very strong, serrated buck knife on hand in case someone got hung up so you could cut the ropes quickly.

JMHO.

There is nothing for them to get hung up on. They are not tied so loosely that they can get tangled, trip on the rope, etc... and there is nothing that they can get 'in to'. You just want to make sure they can go with the cart and learn to move along, and not jerk them around or keep driving when they stop!

When two go out, there is one tied on each side- they cannot cross over each other.

A golf cart does not go very fast and if you let it pretty much just 'idle' along, they can out walk one. The key is watch your horses. You dont just get in and drive off with horses tied to the back!! And my golf cart stops the SECOND I lift my foot off the gas.

I have seen horses ponied from electric scooters and bicycles for heaven's sake. Not a very good idea for the driver! Or the horse, should it decide to go in a different direction!!

Another person here who Has done it, and Does do it. Would I recommend it for your average person, maybe not. Yes you have to be attentive, yes, things an go wrong, Bungie cord ties are great. I even work out some of my big horses on the golf cart.

My old cart had a very heavy wooden 'bar' placed along the back of it, and we 'tied' three horses to the bar, and then had two on the sides. Worked very well. Of course you have to be aware at all times, and Not place certian horses next to each other, but it's Not some super horrible dangerous stunt.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Proper and consistant training is the key. Mine all behaved very well and really enjoyed their time out on the cart! I wouldn't ever do young horses though, long yearlings were about where I'd start mine.

JMO

Of COURSE there are fumes- do not be naive.

Every gas driven vehicle has fumes and of course the horses are drinking it in.

We live with it every day and, except in cities, it seems to do little harm.

That said would I do it??

No, never as far as I can see it is another case of "getting away with it".

Those who do it have not had an accident....YET.

When you do it will be horrific.

If you really really feel a need to inflict this sort of exercise on your horses get a horse walker, and Yes I hate them too!!!

A friend of mine thought we would exercise her horse form the back of my (horse) cart.

I was OK with that until she went to TIE the horse to the cart- no way, not ever.

Once you have had a horse break it's neck I think you would change your mind too.

Worked with Standardbred race horses for several years. They are routinely worked behind a pickup using a "gate" that attaches to the back. Keeps them from getting too close to the truck and gives them no surfaces to get tangled or caught on. Have seen a similar system on golf carts and would highly recommend it to assure the safety of your horses while working.

I've been regularly exercising mine on our electric golf cart for 6 yrs now. They love it so much & so do I. I've never had any accident or problem with it. I started them when they were very young. I don't put anyone behind, but one on each side. There really wasn't anything to it, they caught on immediately.

Rabbit the reality is anything with a horse is a tragic accident waiting to happen from riding, jumping, 3 day eventing,reining, racing to every day common practices like cross tying, tying, vaccinating, trailering..not to mention pasture breeding, hand breeding, stalling , leaving out in a pasture, foaling the list goes on and on

If you ask enough people you will find someone who feels you are "getting away" with just about anything- that is just part of the risk we take being involved in the sport of horses.

Many people do things different and do or dont do things that others do- it doesnt mean you are always putting your horse at more risk then anyone else on any given day.

so really with almost everything involving a horse we all no matter what we are doing just havent had the accident "yet"

Does that mean I will go willy nilly and do things I personally don't think are safe or are not what I feel comfortable with of course not.. but I try to realize the danger aspect invovled in everything with our animals.

Last edited:
The bungee cord tie is a great idea - my next project lol. This really isn't a big deal to do, like anything we do with horses it's a matter of training and common sense. Yes you must be aware of what your horses are doing and not go sailing down the road dragging them
default_rolleyes.gif
: , but it's a much better form of exercise for them than circling endlessly. I do some round penning too but I like to mix it up and since I can't jump on their backs, this is as good as it gets. Big horses are dallied to the saddle horn and ponied from other horses, if you want to imagine a potential wreck, that's risky too but then anything involving horses has some risk to it and has the potential for ignorance or abuse to create a disaster.

Jan

Personally, I wouldn't do this to any horse I owned. Since Kid absolutely hates whips, I have been teaching him arm and hand movements that so far he has been responding very well to.So personally, I wouldn't do that but I am Worst Case Scenario. Good luck if you do that!

Worked with Standardbred race horses for several years. They are routinely worked behind a pickup using a "gate" that attaches to the back. Keeps them from getting too close to the truck and gives them no surfaces to get tangled or caught on. Have seen a similar system on golf carts and would highly recommend it to assure the safety of your horses while working.
You stated it better than I could. I used to work for a Thoroughbred racing trainer, and he used a pick-up to exercise while at home; used riders when at the track.

We're too old (or at least our bodies say so) to do much vigorous exercizing. Our horses were "getting away" with everything on the lunge line. My filly is ok but the boys have my number and I literally was having to chase them with the whip to get them moving.

The golf cart saved us and them! :aktion033: They walk, trot happily behind and along side. I use the big rubber bands for tying stuff in trucks (replace the S hooks with bull snaps or the like) and hook them to the back of our cart ( it has a box or bed on it). I like to hook them between the two back sides so they don't drift to the front of the cart. First the exhaust is on the side and second my filly has a bad habit of "nosing in" toward the cart; making it difficult to turn. My only caution is you may need to use muzzles because if I don't get up enough speed to get them long troting, mine have discovered they can hurry up, lean over grab a bite to eat and then hurry to catch up. :eek:

I can get everyone exercised this way and it doesn't tire me out to point I can't do anything else that day.

P.S. Of course you have to watch them - no one said owning horses was easy!

Latest posts

Back