How do you qualify for Nationals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
So I know there are rated AMHR shows and some are National shows. Are those shows the ones you go to to try to qualify for nationals. What all do you have to do or how many points do you need to qualify? This is the first time im going to be going to rated shows and I really dont think I would qualify but I would like to know what to expect or what to try for.

Alisha

You do not have to attend and Area show to qualify for AMHR Nationals. And you don't need a certain amount of points to attend AMHR Nationals. You need to attend 2 shows and be judged under 3 judges. Going to an Area show gives you three sets of points so would take care of the number of judges you need to qualify under, but you would still need to attend a second show.

So the answer to your question is still 2 shows and three judges to qualify for AMHR Nationals.

Edited to say that you do not have to qualify in the class you are entering at Nationals. In other words if you show all year in halter obstacle only. You can still enter halter, jumping etc at Nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it doesnt matter if you place or not just as long as you enter in two shows with 3 judges? If I got last place in both shows I can still go to Nationals? I was wondering the same thing Alisha. I'm still a bit confused. lol
default_wacko.png

Yes, that is correct. If you enter the horse in the show and enter the arena and present your horse and you place first. last or anywhere in between you can go to Nationals.

Ok that answers my question. I really thought there would be more into it. To me though its odd. I would think you would need to place at least in the top three to go to nationals. To me nationals is for the best of the best not just for any one who is willing to pay the fee. But thank you for answering my question.

Alisha

Ok that answers my question. I really thought there would be more into it. To me though its odd. I would think you would need to place at least in the top three to go to nationals. To me nationals is for the best of the best not just for any one who is willing to pay the fee. But thank you for answering my question.

Alisha
Thats what I thaught, but I guess not!
default_wacko.png

Actually its 2 shows 4 judges to qualify the horse. A youth must show under 2 judges to qualify for nationals with the horse they plan on showing and it must be in a youth class [for the youth to qualify]. The classes at nationals are huge and the competition fierce, but I personally think if you can win there you have accomplished something.

So it doesnt matter if you place or not just as long as you enter in two shows with 3 judges? If I got last place in both shows I can still go to Nationals? I was wondering the same thing Alisha. I'm still a bit confused. lol
default_wacko.png
You need to have 2 shows with 4 judges to qualify and sure anyone can go! I like that they have not made it an elitist show and everyone is welcome BUT unless you are doing VERY well in your local shows you should not have any great expectations of ribbons at Nationals. It IS the best of the best and the classes are HUGE. Go for the experience and enjoy!

Thanks for the info I am hoping to show this year (1st time) and was trying to figure out why our area national show was in June not at the end of the year.

The little showing I did as a teen had year end / high point awards but was local open to any type of horse papered or not 'schooling' show kinda deal.

Now it makes total sense
default_smile.png
THANKS Again

I really like the LB forum
default_wub.png
everyone's so helpful and willing to help

OOPPSS my bad, wrong number of judges.....Man I hate it when that happens......
default_blush.png

I have a question that came to mind a few months ago and I honestly haven't took time to look it up in the rulebook or anything yet....and if I remember will ask Larry when I go over this evening.

But for youth, they have to qualify by showing at a show with 2 judges with that horse (in any youth class) to show that horse at Nationals in youth classes.

Weanlings don't have to qualify to show at nationals.

What if a youth wanted to show a weanling in a youth halter class, would rule 1 apply where "youth" have to qualify?? Or would rule two override it, as that "horse" doesn't have to qualify?

Just wonder if anyone has had dealings with this, I think I know how I'd protray it, but not sure the offical verdict......and I will of course need to find out offically as I might have a weanling this year Clem wants to show..

Good question Erica, would like to know that too for future possibilities......

So if a person has a horse with a trainer and he only needs to show at 2 shows and under 4 judges he still gets to go to nationals even though he might be last in all his classes and not have a hope in the hot place of doing well...scary l think l prefer AMHA better in that case or really have faith in the trainer to be honest..

So even though there is only 1 judge at the Area show it counts as 3 judges? Then you just have to go to 1 more show with 1 judge and you're qualified?

I can understand letting everyone go. What if my horse is first here in Ontario but he's the only one in the class, then Joe Blow's horse is in a very competitive 10 horse class and comes last. His horse may be better than mine. Only head to head cmpetition tells you for sure...and that's what the Nationals is for!

The last Area show I went to was supposed to have more judges but only one showed up for some reason. People weren't penalized for that though and it still qualified as at least 2 judges.

I went to 07 R Nationals with no hope of winning a ribbon. That's not why I went. I went for the experience-- both for me and my horse(s). I had a blast and learned a TON about what is good. The driving classes alone were extremely educational!!!

Everybody was very nice.

It's expensive but it was the best vacation I've had in a LONG time!!

I plan on going again and again and again! lol

The last Area show I went to was supposed to have more judges but only one showed up for some reason. People weren't penalized for that though and it still qualified as at least 2 judges.

I went to 07 R Nationals with no hope of winning a ribbon. That's not why I went. I went for the experience-- both for me and my horse(s). I had a blast and learned a TON about what is good. The driving classes alone were extremely educational!!!

Everybody was very nice.

It's expensive but it was the best vacation I've had in a LONG time!!

I plan on going again and again and again! lol
No no no! The National Area shows only use one judge for the show OR one judge for Miniatures and one judge for Shetlands. That one judge counts as 3 sets of points as if there were 3 judges there. The Area shows are meant to be a mini National show in your area for those that can't attend Nationals in Tulsa. They also help those who don't have a lot of shows close to them to be able to qualify for Nationals as they count for 3 judges, then you only need one other show with one judge to qualify. For anyone planning to attend Nationals it is a good idea to attend your Area show first to see how you stack up against stiff competition - not as stiff as Nationals but it will give you a better idea of where your horses will place then a local show with only 2 or 3 in the class will. For people that are breeding the National shows, both Area and Tulsa, help you to see where your breeding is heading - right direction or wrong.
default_yes.gif
They are also a lot of fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to contradict you but that was not the story I was told. There was supposed to be more than one judge. Not sure how you can say NO NO NO when I was actually there. part of the discussion...

Guess I'm just a dumb blonde.

Latest posts

Back