How do you pick your foal's name?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you choose your new foal's name?

• Use pieces of sire/dam/ancestors names

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use themes (songs, movies)

• Words with meanings (Indian, Latin, etc)

• Other (explain)

• Total voters

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Thought this would be interesting..

For me, I like to use both a theme as well as try to incorporate words that mean something about that foal..

My first filly was: Sweet Shenadoah, which means "beautiful daughter of star", her momma's name is Star

I do not keep an on going list, each year I make a new one, BUT I think I may start jotting down names and keep a long list, wouldn't want a good name to slip away!

When I sit down to create a name for my foals I look for something that fits his or her attitude, if the foal carries him/herself proudly, I go for something elegant.. My appy colt is very full of himself and always finding a way to get in trouble, so wanted something rebellious but fun, so I came up with Gunsmoke'n Roses, play off of the band and used part of daddy's name, barn name is Axel.

Occasionally, I will go with the mares name for a theme for her foals--like my dancers. Her name is private dancer and her offspring are silver danced, shadow dancer, moon dancer, wind dancer ect. We have named 8 or 9 dancers so far.

The rest have to mostly just roll with the prefix FRH FANCY. Sometimes I will look for a name that fits the horse, sometimes just cute. One year, I drew a blank and ended up calling one of them George. I was filling out the paperwork and he was the last born. I said to my husband and friend--either give me a name for him or he will be called George--well, that same friend now owns him and loves her George.

I try to use pieces or at least a theme from the parents' names. Last year, our colt was out of a mare named Sue and stud named the Sysco Kid. So, that's how I got Pondering Oaks Syscos Boy Named Sue. People remember it that's for sure!

So far this year, Pondering Oaks Apache Rose came from Rosie Flores and Chief Lobo!

Our next foal is out Kimble's Sweet Sue and Chief Lobo. So far my favorite so far is Pondering Oaks Sue Lo N Hi. We'll see if it fits the foal first though.
default_wink.png
:

I've done different things for different foals. My stallion's name was Shooting Star so many of his foals had something to do with space. Sometimes I have just come up with a name I really liked apart from that too though, such as Blissful Encounter and last year's colt Jehonathan, which means God-given.

I keep a running list but generally my foals name themselves. I do normally put the sire's name in the registered name.

Normally....it just pops in my head....sometimes quick like and other times it takes a couple of days.

It depends on the horses involved, etc. For example, from my mare Wild Winds Frost Fire, I've named the majority of her foals with "Fire" in their names, but not all. "Color On Fire", "Wildfire", "Blaze of Fire", "Velvet Fire". Her very first foal I named "Mirage" because I wasn't sure I was seeing what I thought I saw-- a VERY loud, beautiful appy filly, lol!

My filly by Mountain Meadows Special Express, I named Magic Mist Elegant Express, it just fit her perfectly.

I do keep a list of possible names but sometimes a name will just hit me out of the blue, like Magic Mist Iced In High Cotton-- I think it's kind of a weird name, but the palomino filly has high white socks and I for some reason was humming the song "Walking in High Cotton" and it just seemed to fit.
default_smile.png

Well for my minis so far last year I had 3 foals born. The first was a colt whose sire was FFS Charles Blanket and dam was Lanesfield Karli. I decided to name all Karli's foals with K so he became Kute Lil Kasper SPH. This year she is bred to Coyote Winds Knockout and I have Knockouts' Kosmic Krunch for a colt and Knockouts' Lil Kharity for a girl. My second foal last year was a filly sired by Komokos Dock Adam and out of Sharptails Peanut Butter. I have no clue how I got her name but she became Unquestionably Cute Jypsy Rose SPH. Peanut is also in foal to Coyote Winds Knockout for 2007, if a colt was thinking Knockouts' Sharp Shadow and if a filly was thinking Knockouts' Lady Jade. The third foal last year was a colt sired by Coyote Winds Knockout out of the mare E & J's Precious By Design and we named him SPH Knockouts' Canadian Design. She is rebred to the same stallion for this year and for a colt was thinking Knockouts' Rocky Design and if a filly was thinking Knockouts Precious Wonder or Knockouts' Belle By Design. I love naming my foals. It's a lot of fun but hate that the AMHR reduced the number of letters allowed as I had some names I wanted to use but can no longer use them as they are to long. Oh well! Maybe they will work with my new stallion as Coyote Winds Knockout I want all the foals bred by me to have Knockouts' in front of their names. I love this stallion.
default_yes.gif
:

I am naming my foals after song names but there will be that occasional foal that is named differently.

Last year 2 out of 3 of my foals were named after Aerosmith songs and this year I am using Def Leppard songs. I am going to try for a different artist each year.

I have a theme every year. Last year it was printing - Mimeograph, Lithograph, Carbon Copy, Xerox, Scribe, Parchment, Pictograph. Three years ago it was ancient civilizations - Lemurian, Athenian, Kassite, Akkadian, Mittani, Byzantine, Amorite. The theme from two years ago I allow others to figure out on their own - LOL. It started with Deception Perfected, continued with Original Sin, Nearly Bear Naked, and went downhill from there. :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Well, I don't breed... but I do have naming themes for my horses (sometimes it spills over into the dogs too) and if I ever did breed I would keep using those themes. I have one theme for boys and one for girls.

The boy theme is: names from stories. These stories can be books, tv shows or movies. My late pony was named Jamie, after the main character in Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series. My dog Nigel is named after the guy who played Watson in the old Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone as well as the character Nigel on Crossing Jordan (He reminds me of that Nigel a lot, lol). My mini is named PheonixDown Sparrow, after Captain Jack Sparrow. My next dog will be named Dante after a character in a video game and in the movie "Clerks". If I ever get a Gypsy Horse his name will be Quincy after the main character in the old tv show Quincy M.E. I have a list of future names to use that I like either because I like the way they sound or because the character had meaning for me. (A lot of the names are from Johnny Depp movies
default_wub.png
: )

The girl theme is: names from songs. The mare I am trying to get money together to buy is named Mary, which fits just fine with my theme (Proud Mary). Though I am tempted if I do get her to call her Betty instead, since she is black (Black Betty). I always wanted to have a 4 in hand team to drive and name them Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. I am DEFINITELY going to use "Roxanne" one of these days.

I have lists of names that I like and the animal usually tells me which one is the right name.

I don't breed but a lot of my name list are completely random and silly things from books, other lists, ect. I love the name generator for that.
default_wub.png
: The rest is other languages, based on what the horse looks like or where the breed's from. My newest obsession with the British Ponies landed me staring at a huge list of Gaelic names.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

well for me, its really different for each foal.

i voted Theme, but its not a certain theme for each foal/year. i go by the theme of the parents. (Ghost: Casper, spirit, phantom, etc, Princess: Prince Charming, King/Queen, Royalty, etc.)

i like to include something playing off the parents name, not neccesarily part of it. like for my fist colt, his momma was my Ghost, so his name was Casper. for Charm, his momma's name was Princess, so he is Prince Charming, aka Charm. i tend to play off the mom's name for barn name, which is usually included somewhere in the registered name. i just think its cute for when we're walkin down the street, and when people ask what's everybody's name, that the mom matches the baby. like my "this is Princess, and her baby Prince Charming" everybody thinks that's cute.
default_wub.png
:

i sort of let the babies name themselves. i do have a whole looooooooong list of names for my two '07 foals, who knows if anything will fit them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
With outside stallions it can be anything quirky that we like, for foals by our own stallion we name them after characters from 80's computer games particularly the Carmen San Diego series...

I dont have any foals to name but i spend allot of time thinking about it.

Narko's sire is Boones Little BTU Crown Prince, Narkos name is Westwind BTU Crown Prince Narko. I didnt name him but i like that. Narko's foals will prob have BTU and Prince somewhere in their names like ...example ...

GC's BTU Prince of ......

I will always put GC's or Green Creek infront of all our foals name in the future and i will always take something from the sires name and then the rest is what sounds good and matches the foal.

However the following name is the name i want for my first foal (dont steal it
default_wink.png
default_smile.png
. I'll prob save it for the first foal we keep for showing/breeding though, i love it.
default_smile.png

GC's G Wizz Sho Bizz

I dont know if i like GC's or Green Creeks best yet? Hmm sorry got off topic lol.

Its hard to say seeing as I havent yet bred anything to name, although, I did name most of mums foals when she would have approx 8 per year (big horses).

Personally I get a little bored with using/hearing the parents/ancestors names, How many variations of the same thing can you have? Personally I would like people to hear my horses name and think of IT not its ancestors
default_smile.png
But thats just me! And I have done it on the odd occasional aswell!

Quite often i have named horses after movies, songs, or just things that pop into my head, other times i will think of a word that i think best described them and look up words with same meaning that sound a little more unique or elegant.

in other words, i voted "other" and "all of the above" :lol:

Trying to name some with part of studs names, use other farm studs use there farm name or name in the horses name.Example Thats All Foulks Arlene Foulk owned the stud. Filipowicz Just In Time we owned the stud.All of his get with have some part of his name.

I have endless pages filled with possibilites....every once in a while I actually use one of those names! The majority of the time, though, I do what Karla does. Sit in the stall and stare until I have a revelation! LOL

I tend to wait on the foal, and name him/her what she looks like!

Like my Midnight, looks like a Midnight,,,,,,,,his full name V V's Midnight at High Noon. Yip, born at noon.

But Prints was named after her mom, Picturesque,,,,,,,she she is Perfect Picture Prints.

She actually acts like the Queen of the Whole Wide Horse World,,,,,,,,but that name was too long. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back