HAVING 'FUN' WITH MY FOALINGS SO FAR!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaC

Reaction score
So far I have five foals and each birth has been - how can I put it? - different LOL!!

First maiden mare caught me unawares as I was giving the mares their late night hay - she ate a mouthful or two then laid straight down and pushed violently (been watching her all evening on camera and absolutely no pre foaling signs!) Red bag appeared, but I could see the 'star' in the centre so paused for a second or two and the next push split the 'star' and there was the foal on his way. Tight fit but all ok. As soon as the mare stood up the afterbirth slipped out as it had beome unattached.

Next mare (experienced girl) did give us warnings - round and round, up and down etc - started to push, another Red bag, proper one this time, nicked the bag with my 'at the ready' scissors and there was the white back with foal on his way ok. Again the afterbirth just slipped out at the mare got up.

Next mare (again experienced) foaled with no warning. Led her in from the field, feed already in her stable. She ate her feed up, then laid down and pushed. Got up, laid down again and the foal was already on her way! Normal birth apart from the speed!

Next mare (again experienced) tucked into her late night hay when given to her and then just like the first mare, she laid down and started to push. Very fast birth of a filly, Momma said hello to baby, got up and continued to eat her hay!! Baby had such long legs she was in a tangle for a bit, but eventually made it to her feet and tottered over to Momma who again said Hi, here's the milk bar. Baby had a short suckle before wobbling off again on very unsteady legs. THEN she suddenly laid down and went to sleep - and I mean SLEEP! Couldn't rouse her for over half an hour. Daughter sat on the floor with her between her legs, keeping one leg down the length of the filly's spine to keep her warm, hoping that it would keep the blood running up to her brain? No idea if it helped or not, but the little filly suddenly sat up, whinnied loudly, got to her feet and went off for another drink, looking exactly as if she had only just been born?? Momma mare was still eating her hay. Filly never looked back from then on and is perfetly normal - vet said it might have been the 'trauma' of her very speedy birth!

Next mare (maiden) spent 3 hours telling us she wanted to foal but couldn't seem to progress. Vet asked it we would like her to come and have a feel/help, we said yes please, gut feeling said yes please! Just as vet arrived, mare decided to start pushing. Vet confirmed that we had two feet and a nose, but he just wasn't progressing very far. Momma very tired with all the walking and getting up an down, but with patience and pulling with her contractions and letting her rest in between, we managed to get this sturdy little colt out into the world. Thank goodness for the calmness of our wonderful vet, lots of encouragement and sweet talking to the mare and lots of dont panic, we will get him, to us LOL!! Momma and son fine - we needed several coffee's and cigarettes afterwards!!

All this has taken place in the last 6 days - heaven knows what the next 7 mares have in store for us
default_unsure.png

Any one else experiencing 'strange' foalings this year?

Anna

Latest posts

Back