How do you get HOF

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to point out that in the "big horse world", driving classes are considered performance classes. I am not sure why Mini people apparently think driving doesn't count as a performance class???

Alisha,

Just so you know, the championship wins--either grand champion or driving stakes--have to be won with at least one other horse in the class. In most cases, that is not an issue, but if the show is really small and there is only one horse in the given division (for instance--over gelding division) then the grand championship would not count toward the five grands. the points do count--however.

I have to point out that in the "big horse world", driving classes are considered performance classes. I am not sure why Mini people apparently think driving doesn't count as a performance class???
Agreed. With minis, I see driving as the ultimate exhibition of their performance abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
So going back to "how do you get HOF?"...we show AMHR and have done fairly well in halter with one of our mares plus she was shown successfully by her previous owner. With that said, how or where do I check for her points? She has to be close. Thanks for your help

You can go here and enter her registry number in the HOF Life to Date feild:

http://results.shetlandminiature.com/webre...n.asp?type=AMHR

When you read it or are tracking it, what you need would be the 70 halter points (note, you only get them for the open halter class) and the "wins" are the number of grands, of which you need 5 total. You would be looking probably at the "Hall of Fame Results From Prior Years Shown By Category" table to figue what your girl has so far.

Good luck!

To me, if the horse is good enough to be HOF, which again is a very prestigious designation, it is also good enough to win at least 5 first place ribbons at its discipline. I can't imagine halter horses getting an HOF if all they had were 70 points (and no firsts, no championships, no grand championships).
I think obstacle, hunter/jumper classes should all place 1st 10 times in the chosen class to obtain their HOF.
default_smile.png
See that would solve all problems.
default_smile.png

Yes driving around in circles truly shows a horses talent
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes halter should come first, and yes I agree driving is second. We should all try to breed for that perfect conformation horse that has some nice movement thrown in to make a calibar driving horse. BTW if a horse does well in versatility I think IMO thats a all-around performance horse and hunter is included in that. Would I get all high and mighty if I had a stallion and promote him as a HOF halter obstacle horse but tick poor conformation and say he is your next champion breeding stallion? Heck no. I would want a stallion that could win in a halter class and go on to win in a driving class, but I would want to show how smart he is by taking him into the other classes.

If you want to change the rules to make it where you have to get so many 1st placings all I can say is bring it on!

Like I said before yeah the other classes you don't have the championship classes but if you have a horse that does well and is a consistent winner you won't have that long to get that horse's HOF because there are more points awarded in the championship class. Now in halter I do respect that you only have one shot to get into the championship round and IMO is alot harder. I'm not dissin halter or driving, we need them both. But I will stand up for performance no matter what.

Sandee said:
After looking it up, technically speaking, I guess you're right however, it would be a long, LONG, LOOOOONG road to that 70 pts without placing high. No. of Horses in Class Points For Placings

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th

1-3 1

4-6 2 1 0

7-9 3 2 1 0

10-12 4 3 2 1 0

13-15 5 4 3 2 1 0

over 15 6 5 4 3 2 1

Don't know what shows you've attended but those that have 15 or even 13 in a class are few and far between (except for Natls). So even winning 1st - still takes a long time and a lot of classes to get that 70 pts. If you want to change the rules, I have no problem with it.
Around here you're lucky if there's five horses in an open obstacle or open driven obstacle class the last couple of years. That makes it relatively easy to get blues, but very hard to get 70 points! And this is the land of Patty Cloke so it's not like we don't have high-caliber horses and drivers around.
default_frusty.gif
I've given up on the idea of ever getting a HOF in the so-called "performance classes" because it would simply take too many years with only one or two points per show and three shows a year.
default_no.gif
I think I can get the stake wins in Western Country Pleasure Driving, but again, it's difficult to accrue points when there's at most six horses in the division and usually only two or three. I may have to go to Nationals just to get enough competition to count!
default_laugh.png

midnight star stables said:
I think obstacle, hunter/jumper classes should all place 1st 10 times in the chosen class to obtain their HOF.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
I hate to point it out, but with the economy the way it is my overly-enthusiastic little brat of jumper has placed first in every open jumper class he entered this year. Why? Because he was the only one in it!
default_new_shocked.gif
Does that mean he should HOF because he got the requisite blues?
default_wacko.png

Leia

midnight star stables said:
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
I hate to point it out, but with the economy the way it is my overly-enthusiastic little brat of jumper has placed first in every open jumper class he entered this year. Why? Because he was the only one in it!
default_new_shocked.gif
Does that mean he should HOF because he got the requisite blues?
default_wacko.png

Leia
Maybe there would have to be a 1-3 horse limit? Something similar to the "Grand" with the halter class?

Just trying to problem solved
default_laugh.png

JMS Miniatures said:
default_rolleyes.gif
Now dear, cool it!
default_nono.gif
You and I both know that with a little effort almost any horse can be taught to do basic obstacle maneuvers whereas you cannot train good movement. I'm not saying obstacle is easy (it takes a lot of GOOD training to make a professional obstacle horse!
default_yes.gif
) but conformation and movement play little role in it. Honestly that's one reason I like it- because all that is being judged is your training and the relationship and trust you have with your horse. I think that's great!
default_aktion033.gif
But don't imply that being a winning driving horse does not take talent. They must not only have the movement, but the training and strength to hold a collected frame and the brilliance to give their all every time. Just as a hunter must have natural style and a jumper the natural ability to scale height, so must a driving horse have native talent. All of those things can be improved with training, but the horse must still have the native ability.

Leia

I realize the we sort of got off track on the original question but I have to say that when I refer to "all around" horse I don't just mean one that can do obstacle. Is obstacle easy? Yes and No. I have a wonderful halter horse that steps on his own feet in a pivot while my filly who tries for all she's worth to show to the judges in halter can turn, run and jump circles around that boy! I really want a horse that can win at ALL things and that's what I'm looking for, breeding for, and working for.

Why does my filly have HOF by the end of her third year? Because when they're young, halter and obstacle and Liberty is all they can do. At age 2 she went undefeated in shows over a 3 state area until I messed up the pattern at Nationals. This past year she started jumping and shows an interest where as my stallion refused to jump until he actually saw others do it and was in the line at a fun show (these guys can be hillarious at times).

I'm not necessarily looking for a horse that can be number 1 in everything (dream on) but I DO want a horse that tries their heart out in ALL classes. If they will TRY things willingly, then I believe with patience and training they can be a GOOD all around horse - placing, if not winning, in all classes.

Hi. I wanted to thank those that answered my question but the topic has gone off course and I think it should stop. Where this topic has gone needs to be on another topic if you feel it needs to continue.

Alisha

default_rolleyes.gif
Oh, please... I'm pretty sure you yourself have gone after driving wins every year at Nationals. I think you may even have been in one of Destiny's classes this last time?!? While some want to pretend I've said I don't think Obstacle, etc., is important (which I've not said) you're the only one I've noticed making fun of a discipline, which you've done at least twice hitting on halter and now driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all performance classes are important. As a breeder I would opt to breed for Halter or Driving classes so those wins would mean I was on the right track. As an exhibitor I love the obstacle classes and hunter as well. Depending on where you are the size of the classes will differ. They are totally different using totally different communication and training of horse and handler it is like comparing apples to oranges.

We do have a hands free obstacle class here and I LOVE IT. You walk in and hand your lead to the ring steward and proceed thru the class. We timed out last time we entered but not before we managed the side pass, trot poles, backing a L and the bridge this show season I am determined to get through that entire class in the time alloted.
default_smile.png

Thanks- a year later, a little wiser, a lot tougher and ready to rock and roll!
default_wink.png

It is nice to be back I have missed you guys and the forum

Did I say halter and driving weren't important NO. I said in my last post that they were the 2 most important things BUT I will stand up and protect the performance division.

If you want change the rules, I really don't care either way. Nuff said.

Yeah, actually it does--a well trained, talented mover WILL show up in a driving class, which means driving classes show off good moving horses.
I shouldn't have to point out the obvious--that jumper and obstacle don't require good movement!

Latest posts

Back