How do you get HOF

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
I am not sure if I understand how your horse earns HOF. I know it has to do with points and winnings but how much of each? And does your horse have to go to nationals to earn HOF?

Thanks,

Alisha

No, you do not have to show at Nationals to receive your HOF, but if you do the points from Nationals do count toward it. To get your HOF you have to get 70 points and 5 Grand Champions. One of the Grands has to be after the horse is 2 years old.

Thanks. Whats a Grand consist of? Is it just winning the class or do you have to not only win the halter class but the Champion class?

Alisha

To win a Grand you must be 1st or 2nd in your class, by your age or size classification. Then you go in the Championship class, then 1st and 2nd go in the Grand Championship class.

This is a class list from a show, maybe it will help you to see how it works.

Model, amateur and youth class doesn't count for Champion class. 1st and 2nd from classes 20, 21, and 22 go in class 23. 1st and 2nd from class 24 go in class 25. Then 1st and 2nd from class 23 and 25 go in class 26 for the grand champion.

17 Model Mare 2 & older - over 60 Gentlemen Country Pleasure Driving - 34" & under

18 Amateur Halter Mare - over

19 Youth Halter Mare - over

20 Mare Foal of Current Year - over 30" to 32"

21 Yearling Mare - over 32" to 36"

22 Two Year Old Mare - over 33" to 37"

23 Mare Junior Champion & Reserve - over

24 Aged Mare 3 & Older - over 34" to 38"

25 Mare Senior Champion & Reserve - over 34" to 38"

26 Mare Grand Champion & Reserve - over

Hope that makes some sense!!!

Thanks. Whats a Grand consist of? Is it just winning the class or do you have to not only win the halter class but the Champion class?
Alisha, in AMHR, you have age champions, like you will have a champion & reserve champion junior under stallion and a champion & reserve champion senior under stallion from each judge (as well as champion & reserve champion junior under mare, champion & reserve champion senior under mare, champion & reserve champion junior under gelding, champion & reserve champion senior over gelding -- and duplicate those as well for the over horses). The horses winning 1st and 2nd from the weanling, yearling and 2yo classes would come in to compete for the Champion & Reserve Champion of their broad size division (under or over).

Then the Grand & Reserve Grand Champions are picked from the Champions & Reserve Champions. For example, to pin the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion under stallions, the champion & reserve champion under junior stallions and champion & reserve champion under senior stallions come back in the ring and compete for Grand Champion & Reserve Grand Champion Under Stallions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to add that in the performance classes (except driving) there are no championship classes so it's just the 70pts for HOF. My filly finished her 70 pts in halter obstacle and got her HOF. She just turned 4 this year.

Just something else I thought of. If you do show at Nationals, Area show or Congress any points you get are tripled. In the driving classes you have to have 5 Stakes wins plus the 70 points to get the HOF. At least in Country Pleasure (that's what we show in). I assume it is the same in the other types of driving.

Just something else I thought of. If you do show at Nationals, Area show or Congress any points you get are tripled. In the driving classes you have to have 5 Stakes wins plus the 70 points to get the HOF. At least in Country Pleasure (that's what we show in). I assume it is the same in the other types of driving.
Yes, it is
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

I feel like for the performance classes that are eligible for HOF, that since there's not a "champion" level for the classes that they should require at least 5 1st placements and 70 points, but that's just my opinion (which doesn't change a thing!)
default_biggrin.png

For those who get an HOF in halter or driving, it really represents more than "just" 70 accumulated points, which is the reason I feel as I do.

Well IMO when it comes to jumping and obstacle atleast the horses have brains
default_wink.png
I've actually never found any of my halter winners to be less than very intelligent.

To me, it seems to require only 70 points for a jumping or obstacle HOF, then if you go to enough shows, you can get the HOF's even if you never actually won a class. Which contrasts to those 5 grands or 5 stakes wins, which don't come easily, and are required for a Halter HOF or a Driving HOF. That's the point I wished to express.

If you never won the class you are going to be having one heck of the time to get your horse HOF.

Yeah the other championship classes you have to get your 5 wins but IMO if you have a horse that is good and I mean real good you can probably get all that in no problem. Yeah it takes work, same with any amount of training. Also the championship classes if you also win or place really well you get alot more points in the stakes class or championship class.

I'm not trying to start anything but I don't like it when people start talking down the other performance classes. If they weren't important AMHR wouldn't have them HOF classes. Seriously if anybody wants to have championship classes or require 1st place wins in the others by all means go ahead IMO won't change anything.

If you never won the class you are going to be having one heck of the time to get your horse HOF.
Yeah the other championship classes you have to get your 5 wins but IMO if you have a horse that is good and I mean real good you can probably get all that in no problem. Yeah it takes work, same with any amount of training. Also the championship classes if you also win or place really well you get alot more points in the stakes class or championship class.

I'm not trying to start anything but I don't like it when people start talking down the other performance classes. If they weren't important AMHR wouldn't have them HOF classes. Seriously if anybody wants to have championship classes or require 1st place wins in the others by all means go ahead IMO won't change anything.
I'm with you - don't want to start anything - but I do agree that the performance classes take at least as much work and cooperation on the part of the horse if not more than halter or driving. In halter (and driving) it's the opinion of whatever judge as to who HE/SHE likes! It's that simple. My guy was all business at Nationals, didn't move a muscle once in place, showed his heart out but didn't ribbon. He wins in driving but that is still a judge's opinion.

My little girl can't "catch a judge's eye" to save her life in halter but she can execute all the obstacles, clear all the jumps (and do it with style in hunter) so she places first! The judges can't deny her win when it's NOT based on their opnions.

Oh, and you can get All Star points for not placing but you cannot get HOF point without placing.

I am not at all putting down performance. My first Nationals ribbon was for halter obstacle.

What I am saying is that I think it would be better if in addition to accumulating 70 points, it would be good to require 5 1st places to achieve something as prestigious as a Hall of Fame designation on a horse. Remember to get that HOF in halter, not only did you get many first places AND many championships, but also at least five grand championships.

To me, if the horse is good enough to be HOF, which again is a very prestigious designation, it is also good enough to win at least 5 first place ribbons at its discipline. I can't imagine halter horses getting an HOF if all they had were 70 points (and no firsts, no championships, no grand championships).

Write up a proposal and say all current HOF classes that aren't championship classes that horse must atleast earn 5 1st place wins. Like I said before I don't think it will make any difference cause I don't see a horse that gets HOF not atleast place 1st 5 times. To get HOF you have to be consistant with your wins and if you place at the bottom all the time your not going to get the points you need.

To get HOF you have to be consistant with your wins and if you place at the bottom all the time your not going to get the points you need.
If you go to enough shows, of course you can get the HOF in halter obstacle (for example) without ever placing first as the rules stand now. I didn't say anything to the effect that I thought bottom placing horses are getting it.

To get HOF you have to be consistant with your wins and if you place at the bottom all the time your not going to get the points you need.
If you go to enough shows, of course you can get the HOF in halter obstacle (for example) without ever placing first as the rules stand now. I didn't say anything to the effect that I thought bottom placing horses are getting it.
After looking it up, technically speaking, I guess you're right however, it would be a long, LONG, LOOOOONG road to that 70 pts without placing high.

No. of Horses in Class Points For Placings

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th

1-3 1

4-6 2 1 0

7-9 3 2 1 0

10-12 4 3 2 1 0

13-15 5 4 3 2 1 0

over 15 6 5 4 3 2 1

Don't know what shows you've attended but those that have 15 or even 13 in a class are few and far between (except for Natls). So even winning 1st - still takes a long time and a lot of classes to get that 70 pts. If you want to change the rules, I have no problem with it. Just make sure that obstacle (and the others) are classes that are REQUIRED at a show and not thrown in as opptional.

I've always found that those that don't appreciate the performance classes are the ones who haven't tried to "put in the time and effort" to train and show their horses in them.

I suppose there are many things that go unappreciated, however, like I said, my first Nationals ribbon was for halter obstacle and it hangs proudly with my other "big" win ribbons. Why some want to think that my feeling that the HOF's should require some actual 1st place wins means I don't appreciate training and skill escapes me.

It seems to me the HOF designation should be used to acknowledge the best of the best -- so why not require 5 first place wins in classes like obstacle, when 5 Grand Championships are required for halter and 5 Stakes Wins are required for driving? Does anyone think those Grand Champion and Stakes wins are easier to get than a 1st place ribbon in halter obstacle, jumping, etc.? By the time you get to the Grand win, you've won both the open halter class and the age champion class.

Of course, just like anyone else, there are some classes and wins that I personally place more value in than others and for me, those classes are halter first and driving second. I don't make any apologies for that, either -- part of my job as an owner and breeder is to decide what's important to me in a horse. I have never met a horse too pretty and well made to be trained and put to work.

Jill, I respect our differences. As you said you value halter and driving; while I want a horse to be all around. In the "big" horse world and all around performance horse is highly valued and hard to come by. I can't wait for the minis to "catch up" to their "big" brothers!

I also come from a big horse background and suspect our minis will catch up to the biggies, but not before the majority of us start taking good conformation seriously in our breeding choices (hence, the importance I place on halter)...
default_yes.gif

Also, I think a miniature horse who wins at the top levels in halter and driving, the wins I value the highest, is pretty much an all around caliber horse...
default_wub.png

If a miniature horse cannot win at halter (in addition to performance), I couldn't consider it all around
confused0036.gif

And, again, because I feel five 1st place wins ought to be required for an HOF in disciplines that do not have a Grand Championship or Stakes level does not mean that I do not appreciate training and effort. It just means I think an HOF designation should be very elite in all the areas in which it may be earned
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back