How do I darken a palomino's color??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stac --

We keep the in use ground seed at least a month in a coffee can. I grind it all at once, but I put what we are not using into the freezer (ground and in coffee cans or plastic containers)
default_smile.png

Jill

You can buy ground flax seed that doesn't go bad for a while. I don't know the science behind it but they "fix" it somehow so it can stay effective and not go bad in its ground state. I will find out where we get it and what company....

Welcome Gina!

Glad you found Liz! She is awesome and can tell you just about anything about Rocket's family! He is pretty, haven't seen him since he was a baby. Glad you have him and love him! You will have to go and meet his relative Pyro! Woooo Weee you will love him.

-Kim

www.thecrabbychickenranch.com

Welcome to the forum family Gina!!

We hope to see you and Rocket at the shows in 2008......he is gorgeous!!

I've used Gold as Sun for my 3 year old palomino Bodie. I thought I didn't notice a difference in color but that year he had no skin allergies and this year I didn't us Gold As Sun and he had allergies. So maybe it does help some. It sure smells good though, like nutmeg.
default_smile.png
In the winter he is always cream white and when he is clipped he is that color, but in the summer his hair is gold. Also I have a friend who's pally darkens every year. So maybe yours will.

Thanks everyone for the great welcome and advise!! Jill, Derby is sooo cute!! I was so happy to see all the beautiful palomino pictures!! Kim and Valerie we hopefully will meet in 2008 at a show I would love to go see Pyro and meet Liz in person so hopefully will get up that way soon!! I think after reading what everyone had to say I'll try flax seed. Where do I buy it?? How much do I feed?? Is it good for all color horses?? I have four A sized minis from 30" to 34" and 200-280 lbs. Just for fun here's a pic of my Lily isn't she a doll??!!

Lily.jpg

I use it on all my show horses, regardless of color. I get it at the feed store in a huge sack and grind it with a cheap $5 coffee grinder. Once ground, it will not keep as long as whole, so if you grind it all at once, freeze all but a large coffee can that you are currently using. It also helps horses to shed out in the spring.

For the amount, my baseline is a heaping tablespoon 1x a day, more or less depending on the size of the horse. It doesn't take "a lot" to make a difference.

Here's my silver dapple mare that I had on it. See how shiny she is? She has no "spray on shine" on her and was clipped the night before this picture was taken. Not exercised or anything, either. I took her to a show only to keep her yearling daughter calm / unstressed and this mare won her class and went Grand Champion mare (not too bad for a 2x broodmare who only came along for companionship!).

HOPE%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20037%20MARES.jpg

This is her daughter (silver buckskin):

Flirt%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20100%20Touched%20MARES.jpg

And see how shiny too it made my silver bay boy:

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20109.jpg

The flax seed is the only supplement my horses get and all these ones just had a basic clip and bath. These pictures were taken as we unloaded them at home following our state club's summer show.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW Jill!! Your horses are amazing!! Thanks so much for the step by step directions on the flax seed!! I am always nervous to add new feeds so love to have very specific instructions on what to do!! I am going to get flax seed right away and a coffee grinder. Hopefully, my horses will be shiny and beautiful like yours very soon!! Also, you said flax is the only supplement you feed. I also feed horse guard will I no longer need that after adding flax seed?? Thanks so much for being so helpful and patient with all my questions!!

Gina

Hi, Gina --

I'm not sure what Horse Guard is. Is it a vitamin? Unless it is a fat based coat conditioner (which is what flax seed would be), I would keep them on the Horse Guard.

"All" I give my horses are complete senior pellets (which have more protein and fat than plain adult pellets), soft orchard grass hay, the flax seed, minerals (loose and blocks free choice) and dewormer
default_yes.gif

Jill

Palomino is palomino and as you know it varies in color from almost white to a rich dark gold. I have noticed that mostly palominos are lighter in their winter coat and their color tends to turn deeper in their summer coat.. I have noticed some who darken as they age too, but I don't know how very well this holds true..

Thanks Jill, yes horse guard is a vitamin and mineral supplement so I will continue using it with my flax seed.

I really appreciate all your help!!

Gina

A friend of mine told me to feed paprika. She said it darkened up her light palomino. I didn't see that it made much difference in her horse but she thought it did... and I was way to afraid to feed it to mine, so I am not recommending it, just that it might be something to look into. I've seen it mentioned on line a few times. Might be worth doing a google for I guess.

Thanks Warpony!! I'm with you I am such an old mother hen and worry about everything that goes in my horses mouths that I'd probably be afraid to feed it too!! LOL

Latest posts

Back