How did you come up with your farm name?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love reading all these ...

I was on my way home from kenben's place after picking up my new mini

SE Shadow Warrior. Mom and I were talking on the way home trying to come up

with a different name for a farm name now that we had decided to get into the minis.

We stopped on the way home to pick up an ice cream cone and when we jumped out

of the truck Mom remarked on how big the new moon was (it was a full moon).

At the same time Shadow wanted to remind us that he was still in the back of the truck

and let out a call to all the unseen horses that must be around !!!

We walked into the ice cream shop and Cat Steven's was playing and we look at each

other an new we had found our name !!!

MoonShadow Miniatures !!!

It was easy to come up with our farm name.

After I turned 50 I FINALLY lived on a farm - hence the name " Finally Farm Minis".

Justine

Mine is SPH Arabians And Miniatures. It comes from my initials, Shana Patricia Hadlock. My first foal, a arabian was born in 1994 when I was I guess 16 years old. All my homebred have SPH at beginning of there names and any that I didn't breed that I register have SPH at end of there names, for example, SPH Phancyphire, my arabian mare was bred by me, whereas Cool Running Sanka SPH was not.

Great thread!

When our daughter Kelli was twelve she was given a black AMHR "B" mare as a gift from a good friend of ours. At that time Kelli was taking fiddle lessons learning Texas Swing music. We decided to combine the love of the Miniatures & Shetlands with her music, so came up with Fiddlestix Miniatures and in 1999 added & Shetlands when we started showing those. We spelled Fiddlestix a bit differently because "stix" is what you call the bow. We have been using the name for 12 years now.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

http://www.fiddlestixponyfarm.com

It's always fun to read all these, so I will include mine again too.

I was thinking long and hard about what I wanted for a farm/herd name, since I wanted something that would include all the things I loved about Minis: colorful colors, friendly & child friendly. I work full-time as a nanny, and at the time I was taking care of a 3 year old girl, she liked to color and I would usually join in. One day while we were coloring it hit me that "Crayonbox" would include all the things I loved about Minis, so we became Crayonbox Miniature Horses. :bgrin

everyone thinks mine is Baxters Painted Pasture because we have so many pintos. Its actually because I paint
default_smile.png
Kinda a double meaning. Thats why our logo has a paint brush with a horse. great thread!

The farm where my mom grew up had a short cut to town, a little dirt road through a very large pasture, which was known as "the cedar plains". Many years later when she & I moved back to the area we would go trail riding through this area, and we'd go out there picking mushrooms and doing wildlife & scenic photography. When we wanted a farm name for registering our Morgans, "Cedar Plains Morgans" seemed quite fitting.

We moved away from that area in 1985 and came here--40 miles from the old cedar plains. However, we're still out here on the plains/prairies and there is a lot of creeping cedar in the area, so 'Cedar Plains' is still a suitable name for us (even though any creeping cedar that actually starts growing on out property gets ripped out very quickly; that stuff really takes over & just cuz we're named for it doesn't mean we want it around! :lol: ) When we downsized from Morgans to Miniatures we kept the Cedar Plains name.

What a fun thread! I loved hearing all your farm names. Some of them are just so beautiful, I wish I had thought of them. he he
default_smile.png
Ours isn't beautiful or touching, darn it. When my husband and I were first married we bought a new camper and all his friends teased us that it must be nice to make such "easy money" that we could afford to spend it on a new camper. Then we bought a newer house, "easy money" came up again. So we had coats made that said "Easy Money Camping". When we got into horses (and out of camping because who had the time) we bought an old farm house and farm that needed a lot of cleaning and fixing up. Around here the "easy money" stands for easy come, easy go because the money seems to flood out of this place like water! :lol: But we love it here, I'm finally living back in the valley that I grew up with, on a farm that was an original family farm and we named it Easy Money Ranch.

What a great idea! There are some really interesting stories out there- and ours is one too.

When I was little- long before we had horses- I absolutely loved model horses- anything from Breyers to Barbie horses with 3 leg- they where all my favorites. As my "herd" expanded- I obviously need a place to stable them- so I started using our old shoeboxes to make them all stalls- and I taped them together in a barn-like pattern. My mom would always laugh- since my room was FILLED with shoeboxes- that if we ever owned a farm- we would call it shoebox stables.

And the "stable" evolved- we built a small wooden play stable- also called ShoeBox Stables, and then, in 2001- we got our first mini. We built a small shed out back for her- and nicknamed it "ShoeBox Shed". It fit perfectly- the minis being so small they could fit in a shoebox!

In 2004 we bought our first farm- 25 acres and a whole bunch of barns- and there was no doubt what the name would be- ShoeBox Stables.

This is an neat thread, I always wondered how everyone came up with their farm names!!

Mine is ShadySide`s Miniatures Farm, We live on a road and thats the name of the road,

My daugther said we should call it the same...so we did. We wanted to go with our last

name at first, but it was already taken, My name is Tina Ross and their is already a

Ross Farm with miniatures so didn`t want to do that...so we became ShadySide Miniatures.

Tina

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat thread, my farm name is pretty lame and I don't like it much, I got mine from the rock group FireFall, I can't think up a name or if I do its already taken. Since the preffix price has raised I'm stuck with it till I do find an awesome one thats worth paying $$$ for.

Anyone got any clever ones for me??????????????

My registered name is Kwaimoon. Kwai is Japanese for family group and moon was part of the registered name of my first miniature, Sleivecroub Silver Moon. My dog registered name is made a similar way, Chlo from my first Standard Poodles name Chloe and the Kwai again hence making Chlokwai. :aktion033:

Regards, Mandy

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

This is fun :aktion033:

We live in the Montezuma Valley. Folks around here just call it the valley.

At the time (1989) my husbands name was Vern, my daughter's name is April and my real name is Lauralee ( I go by Joy)... Our little "ranch" was 6.5 acres :bgrin

So...Vali Mini Ranch

For Vern, April, Lauralee Ince

One of the first dogs that I rescued when I came back home was a Coyote mix(yes they exist!). So after getting my goats and my first mini I knew I needed a farm name, Searched and searched and a friend suggested Coyote Farms. And it stuck
default_smile.png

I've been showing and raising Pembroke Welsh Corgis for about 30 years now and when it came time to find a kennel name, I knew I wanted it to be short (you can only use 26 letters and spaces in AKC dogs names), and have it related to Cape Cod where I live.

My first pick was Low Tide shortened to Lotide since corgis are low dogs AND, when the tide goes out (low tide) the exposed grass and mud really stink! My dogs always roll in anything smelly so it was appropriate.

My good friends told me I could never call it Lotide since it didn't "Sound Right"......

After more thinking, I decided if Lotide didn't sound right, then High Tide, shortened to Hytide should! So Hytide Pembroke Welsh Corgis was born and when the farm came along it changed to Hytide Farm! We have Corgis, Dressage Horses, Minis and Molly!

Ta-Da!

GREAT thread! Thank you,

Dru Crowell

In 1994, when I got my first Miniature horse (a stallion), I figured I'd need a name for my "farm" (1.5 acres) and I've always liked gemstones and wanted to name any foals I had after different gemstones, so my 1st farm name was "Gemstone Mini Farm". We only had one foal born there "Gemstones Diamond Solitaire" (never formally registered, tho) and then I got divorced and moved from there. In the meantime, I found out there was another Gemstone Farm around, so when I had another farm in 1999, I changed the name to "L Bar B Mini Farm".

L for my name...Linda

Bar, just because...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

B for my then-partner's name...Brenda

There are 2 formally registered foals with that prefix (AMHR). I dont live at that farm anymore and I am not with that partner anymore...and I currently do not own any horses...so that farm name is no longer.
default_unsure.png
:

I am trying to think of my NEXT farm name...one that will STICK and one that reflects my dreams that have never died...hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
default_wink.png
:

Great thread!
default_yes.gif
:

Fun thread! I'm not very creative so it was really hard for me to decide what to name our mini farm. At first I was going to name it after this great mountain that is in front of our house(Grayback Mountain) but then I thought "what if we move......wouldn't make sense anymore". Thought about putting our names on it but just didn't sound good. Then it just hit me one day "Total Eclipse" I had a riding mare years ago named Eclipse and she taught me so much and I kicked myself for ever selling her to "upgrade" to a dressage horse(I could only afford one horse at the time as I was boarding). So I thought it was a good tribute to her and it also serves to remind me that I want to breed quality horses that will "eclipse" all others. Lofty dream I know......but keeps me trying to improve my breeding plan. :bgrin

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Fun thread Gage! I always liked the name "Outback." I am not sure why, I know it refers in some way to Australia, which - if I could visit any where - that would be the place. We have a small place here, just three acres - but big enough for our hobbies. Or should I say MY HOBBIES!
default_rolleyes.gif
: I thought Outback Miniatures was fitting - I may change it one day to Outback Acres instead. I don't know that I will ever have more then one or two mini's...

Lori

Our farm prefix is "SWA" for "Seminole Wind Acres". Hubby and I "were" die hard country music fans, and John Anderson was one of our top "mutual" favorites, so when we bought our first farm sometime around 18 years ago, we named it "Seminole Wind Acres" after one of his songs about "Florida Stuff".

Little did we know way back then, that several years later, (because of our farm name), we would be invited to a live concert of his to "do our pony rides" for the audience folks. Our "party ponies" was a farm business that I used to do way back then. John Anderson came to perform live in Sanford, FL, along with two of our other favorite CM Groups, Black Hawk and Lone Star. Summer of 97 or 98, I think it was.

Though I don't listen to much country anymore, (more Gospel than anything else lately), my hubby and our son are forever very devout country music fans.
default_yes.gif
: Especially John Anderson a forever favorite of hubby's, and Lone Star a forever favorite of my son's. Cause at that summer concert, when Lone Star was on stage, the lead singer saw my son's "Seminole Wind Acres Pony Rides" T-Shirt that he was wearing, and asked if he was with "those pony ride folks out in the audience" and he told him, "Yep, that's my mom and dad out there with our horses", and then after their stage time he called my son up to the stage and gave him his guitar pic, which he still treasures to this day.
default_wub.png
:

Anyways, that's what we've always had for our farm name.
default_wub.png
:

EDITED TO ADD SOME PICS OF "Way Back When".
default_wub.png
:

These are of my son when he was about 10 years old, riding our Stallion "Seminoles Hungry Jack". Jack was always "the most requested" of our party ponies, and you can see why on my son's SUPER HAPPY face, everytime he rode him. That day at the concert, Jack was a "very busy boy", and Dusty was his "handler". Dusty loved sharing his "bestest pal" at our many pony party events. Aside from our pony parties with Jack, Dusty loved doing speed games with him at the Annual "Cracker Day Rodeo" here in Florida at the Volusia County Fairgrounds. Jack and Dusty was always "best buds" during those days, they practially grew up together.
default_wub.png
: Dusty is all grown up now, and now serves in the US Marines.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

These pics are of Dusty & his stallion, "Seminoles Hungry Jack", at one of their last rodeo events together.

jackanddusty.jpg

poles.jpg

<Happy Sighs>
default_wub.png
: Thanks for letting me share. :saludando:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

We thought about it for quite a while, but my husband fell in love with "Andromeda Farm".

Our farm name was picked due our various interest: John Denvers Music (Farewell Andromeda); astronomy (Andromeda Galaxy); & mythology (Princess Andromeda). Since Andromeda is in all three categories, we thought it would give us a lot of help in chosing names for our foals.

Andromeda Farm

18769 Weinberger Rd

Ponchatoula, LA 70454

www.andromedafarm.com

[email protected]

:saludando: :saludando:

Latest posts

Back