How can I get him to

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnsminis

Reaction score
slow down when he's eating? My gelding eats so fast & will eat the others' feed when he's done, unless I have his halter on & hold him back. I get tired of doing that...

I guess I could feed him seperately; is there anything else???

He's just a greedy little pig!

You can do it the old fashined way: Put two or three large rocks in the bucket or pieces of a broken salt block so he'll have to nose around for the food.

Feed him seperately and put some big round rocks in his feed tub to slow him down, or if you can't seperate him keep him on a lead line while he eats to keep him out of the other horses feed until they are done. It is a pain but you can't really do much otherwise.

I've done both with greedy eaters in the past.

I also know someone who muzzles their horse once he finishes his food, but he still chases the other horses away from their food and guards it even though he can't eat it.

l've tried the rocks in the tub and if it took to long they'd run over to the next guys so just decided the easiest to do was seperate those with that habit so everyone gets there fair share for chow time.

l've tried the rocks in the tub and if it took to long they'd run over to the next guys so just decided the easiest to do was seperate those with that habit so everyone gets there fair share for chow time.

yes, if you do the rocks you really also need to seperate, otherwise the guy with rocks in his tub will just ignore his own food and find someone with no rocks to steal from.

We put our horses in mini sized standing stalls for their grain then back outside for hay. works pretty well. as the horses finish they go out. there are always one or two greedy ones to cause mischief but overall it works just fine! jennifer :saludando:

Our rescue Arabian mare was quite thin, and we kept her seperated because she WOLFED everything. We did the big rock thing in her feeder, and after a while it worked. Now she is out with the other, and eats normally and doesnt try to eat everything in sight. It takes a while though

Latest posts

Back