How big is the pasture/lot that your minis are kept in?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle

Reaction score
How big is the pasture or lot that you keep your minis in, and how many minis live in it? Post pictures of your setup as well - seeing pictures of all the different mini homes is so cool!

It depends. The main mare herd has the run of our hills (we're on 63 acres total). Bachelor herd right now is on 3 acres +/-, their 20 acres the fence needs repair.

Smallest pen for individuals is 16'x80'.

I don't have any mini-proof/mini-safe pasture fencing, so mine are on drylot most of the time and I use portable panels for daytime grazing around the "yard" (where we stack winter hay for the cows, hay isn't brought in til fall). My main drylot is 48x100' and houses 5 minis, a second drylot is the same size and houses 3 minis (they choose to spend most of their time in the shelter and a few times a year their outdoor pen is used for working cows, so they are shut in the shelter at those times), 2 minis share a 48x48' pen and one stallion has a 12x48' pen. These sizes seem to work for me, but like most, more space is always nice.

We have 22 acres in open pastures and hayfields about 10 ac fenced and cross fenced

but we only have 7 miniatures right now so don't use much of it

We used to have and board full size horses. Still board a couple

here is our driveway: you can see 2 of our 3 barns in this picture

frombottomofdriveway.jpg

back of the property

5130219e.jpg

some pastures

HPIM0186.jpg

HPIM2735y.jpg

HPIM0479.jpg

HPIM3637.jpg

For our stallion we use our 90 ft round pen that we have for full sixe horses

all the horses are in stalls at night and out during the day

EaglesRing-
default_drool5.gif
!! I would KILL for pastures like that to drive in. It looks like so much fun!

Leia

Leia

we have grass roads all around the property and fence lines

its great out there for a short drive and we are on a dirt/gravel road so thats great too!! We just haven't driven very much the last couple years.

We have about 40 of the 160 acres fenced with 2 summer pastures no trees another smaller 8 acre one with half bush and a 40x65 loofing barn for the around 25/30 mares usually here. Winter they stay around behind the main barn in sheds with about 4 acres to move around on there's also 10 stallion paddocks with huts and a fenced 2 acre mare/foal or driving grass field out front. There's also a dirt path for driving on the hayfield side outside of the fenced 40. Not shown in the first pix is the trailer and cart shed which helped free up the main barn and we should be able to fit in 10 box stalls now and still have storage for 22 round bales of hay. Next year the framing for an 80x120 indoor driving arena should be up and hopefully by the following spring it'll be done
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

2006farm.jpg

2010hut004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a little over five acres, but we have a large home (where my grandparents live) and then a barn/home where we live.Underneath our home we have four stalls; two we use for our full sized horses, one is used as a tack room, and the other has a very small paddock extension which we use as a foaling stall. Our biggest pasture is probably right at 2 acres. We used to keep our two big horses on it, but now we usually have the 6 minis on it (one of our big horses is boarded somewhere else now) and at night the minis go on a dry lot. Our second biggest pasture is about an acre and it's right behind the big house and we can look out of any window and see the horses from there...we typically rotate between those two paddocks...allowing one to grow while the other is being used. MOST of the time our big horse goes in a stall at night and out minis go in the dry lot so that also gives the fields a little time to recoop. The rest of our land is divided up into 2 small paddocks, a long and narrow paddock, a small arena (a little wider than a dressage ring and about twice as long). All four of those paddocks have gates that open up to eachother so you can make it one BIG pasture (basically all of our land can be used at once if we open the ajoining gates lol). Then we have our driveways and a small side yard. Our land has NO extra room lol...we use every bit of it for the horses we have. It's small, but we love it.
default_wub.png

Our biggest pasture...

April11048.jpg

The "backyard" or our second biggest pasture...

014-1.jpg

the dry lot...

008-2.jpg

foaling stall...

019.jpg

arena...
014-2.jpg

Smallest paddock I have is little over a 1/2 acre, the Night pasture is 2 1/2 acres. Then I have a 10 acre one but this time of year the grass is too rich and I have to keep them off anyway, if I want hay.

Here is part of the smallest paddock in winter. Will see if I can find a summer photo.

minipasturetohouse1march11small.jpg

Here is a small part of the 10 acre pasture/hay field.

chriseddastjarna25feb11.jpg

eddalookingathouse22feb11.jpg

Part of the 2 1/2 acre pasture..

nightpasture24feb11.jpg

and

shed24feb11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hayingb1july09.jpg

10 acre pasture being hayed in summer.

I looked for a photo of my 1/2 acre pasture and I don't have a picture of the whole thing.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back