how and where to microchip?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponypassion

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I've done a lot of goats but they don't go in the neck. I had a vet do one of my donkeys and it was very painful for her. I'd like to know where and how. Thanks[/SIZE]

Judy Goulet

The chip is inserted into the fatty tissue (well, not really fatty tissue, Like Nathan mentions further in this thread, it is a muscle) just below the mane hairline. Depending on the size of the horse, usually about 6 to 8 inches down the neck from the back of the ears. I usually give an injection of lidocaine where I want to insert the chip. It makes it a lot less tramatic experience for the horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOw close to to the horse do you have to be with the scanner to read it? And is this number recorded with any place? Also is there any danger of more than one company coming out with the same numbers. These are probably dumb questions. Another one, when you do a health or a coggins test does the vet read it andput it on the health papers and does each company have the same scanner. What about border crossing and is it handled like a brand with brand inspections?

LaVern - no queston is a dumb question.

The scanner is usually passed right on the horses neck. Some scanners will register at 1/2" from the neck. When the chip is first given it comes with multiple (3) stickers with the number printed on it. The vet puts one or two on the coggins. Usually I have one left over. You can put it on any other paper work that you might have. I have sent it to AMHA to have the number put on the registration papers. Each company has their own scanners and/or chips. When they first came out the vets almost had to have 2 or 3 scanners to be able to read the chips. Now, they have made is more user friendly. They came up with universal scanner/chips. But like Nathan mentioned in another thread, there are different type chips. Like the ones in Europe are usually different from the ones in the US.

I am not familar with the border crossing, but would think that it would be handled just like a brand. Maybe someone else will know that answer.

Shoot I was hoping you could read it from a long way off. Ten brown mares that are a little bit hard to tell apart. Then I could just sit on the four wheeler point the scanner and say there goes old Sassy.

I just have to do it, if nothing else for my self.

I would sure like to hear from some of you Montana cowboys, about the brand inspection thing. You don't want to mess with those government boys. I am wondering if it is better not to put it on the papers.

I still have some of those old NFC mares with lip tattoos. But I don't say anything about it, as I can't read the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its implanted into the nutial ligament (yes, I murdered the spelling). It is VERY important to get it into that ligament. If it misses, the chip can migrate through the body. They have been found in hocks before, migrated from the neck. If you just have one or two I'd highly recommend talking to your vet, buying the chips yourself, then having the vet "install" them and test. Remember also that you are HIGHLY recommended to verify the chip's operation before AND after implanting, and that requires a reader.

I have been chipping my dogs for a number of years now. We use the AVID euro chip since I sometimes export. Not sure about horses but with the dogs most countries will not accept the US version.

I am not sure about doing the horses, may do like you suggested and have the vet insert my chips when they next come out.

The chips are not that expensive I think they were about $13 each in packs of 5 when I last bought them. The scanner OTH was pricey I think close to $400 for the universal one.

Latest posts

Back