Hot Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought this was appropriate since we are under an excessive heat warning here in Fort Worth.

Stay cool out there 😍
Always good to share quality information. Yes, allowing the horse to get hydrated is important. It's really vital to ensure they get electrolytes with that water as it's the lack of salts and minerals that can cause the biggest problems.

I've taught equine first aid hundreds of times to animal health practitioners and there is one thing that we do ensure to communicate to people in this context: it is conceivable to cause a heart attack by dumping very cold water on your horse's back. Here's why: The superior vena cava runs immediately inferior to the vertebral bodies (that's the big blood vessel that brings blood back to the heart from the rest of the body is right under the spine.) It is conceivable that the blood could be cooled enough that it shocks the heart and causes a heart attack... Now, agreed, it would take some very specific circumstances to cause it to happen, but best practice remains to cool the legs first, neck second and then move onto the body.

Yesterday evening Billy was sort of sweaty. He was not working, just lounging around. We are at around 98 degrees, high humidity. I used the Mist setting on the sprayer and wet him down, particularly the chest and belly. Dapper Dan used to love this, but Billy has to be haltered. He did drink out of the hose while I was spritzing so maybe he will get to like the misting.

Back