hot feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
I brought them all in after a few hours out in the snow and whilst picking out their feet I noticed that one of them hat warm hooves, slightly more in the hind than the front.

I have called both the vet and the farrier but I wondered if anyone could put me out of my misery whilst I am waiting. Please tell me that it could be something other than the L/F word
ohnoes.jpg

Thanks Renee

if it was L or F would they be showing some other signs/symtoms..could it not just be the warming again after being in the icey snow
default_unsure.png
hope it turns out to be nothing

Have they had a trim recently?? Sometimes if the trim is a bit on the short side they can be a bit sensitive and have warm hooves.

Are they lame or is it just the warm hooves, is there any pulse? Also could be developing a drop.

Just a couple of ideas but I do think there would be more going on if it was the other thing you are thinking of (I wont even type the letters LOL)

Renee, I don't have any thoughts other than the words we won't use and a trim that is too short. But I'm praying for you that it's nothing more than a horse that was just really exercising themselves and really got the circulation going. Sending positive thoughts your way!!
default_wub.png

Thanks Karina, no they are due for a trim this week, I tried to test the pulse but couldn't find one (maybe that is just me not being very good) He isn't lame but he walks with really short paces on hard ground and then once he gets to the snow he is fine again. he doesn't seem to have pain whilst he is in his stable eating, I haven't seen him shifting his weight or anything. you said he could be developing a drop, what does that mean?

thanks for you help.

Renee

Oh man, wish someone would give you a call back and help you figure this out.

As long as he's not uncomfy when he's in his room eating I'd not give him anything

to mask symptoms till the vet or farrier can get out and put a hand on him and

help you figure it out.

Keeping positive thoughts coming your way.

I would also expect there to be other symptoms if it was "the word that should not be mentioned". Maybe there was some increased ciculation in the feet from being out in the snow. Maybe it was more noticable because your hands were cold and they are always a little warmer than others. Some peoples hands/feet are warmer than others too! I would of expected the front to be warmer that the back if it was "the word that should not be mentioned" too. Did you recheck them after he had been in for a little while? Sending happy thoughts your way and will be interested to hear what you find out.

You said he walked with short steps on the hard ground and was Ok on the snow.......that would start the alarm bells ringing with me.

Hope all goes well.

Could be ice bruising from the hard ground if it is thawing in the day and freezing at night. The hooves get soft and then hit the hard ground. Could cause bruising and in severe cases even abcesses. Appears to be a lot like laminitis and stalling with soft bedding for a week may help - also a good idea to talk with vet about low dose of banamine and reduce sugars and get rid of grain until it improves...just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

His feet weren't hot this morning, the vet has put him on an anti- inflammatory for a week but doesn't seem too worried, she thinks he could just have sensitive soles. Farrier is coming at 5.00pm

thanks for all your advice and prayers, please keep them coming just to be safe
wub.gif

Hi Renee, Glad to hear your boy is doing better. I must say that the unmentionable ailment is more common in front feet not to say they cant get it in back feet but more common for the front feet.

Oh and a drop is an abscess forming in the foot. We call it a drop here dont know if anyone else does.

It does sound like his feet are a little sensitive.

Also something I have been given Rosie as its a natural anti inflammatory is Yucca and it is working wonders for her. Might be something to try if you dont want to use a medication.

Sorry Renee, just read this. I would say that with the weather you have been having, he's just feeling a little sensitive/bruised in his back feet - remember the back legs will often be used further under the horse in slippery weather as he tries to support himself. Also, the word that you are not mentioning usually shows itself in the front feet first!

Make sure you farrier doesn't trim him too much, I think he may need a little extra foot left than normal if he is a bit buised??

So calm down, smoke another couple of ciggies and chill a bit if you can - I'm sure this will prove to be nothing too serious and all will be well again in a few days.
default_yes.gif

((((HUGS))))

Glad its nothing too serious and hope he makes a full recovery now on the anti- inflammatorys
default_aktion033.gif

Well the farrier came last night and trimmed his feet and put "socks" on his front feet. This evening when I brought him in they weren't hot. He is to have an anti inflammatory for a week and then the farrier will return. He thinks they are sensitive cos they don't grow straight so he advices a trim every 4 weeks. I am so relieved.

Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers.

Latest posts

Back