Horses under Pine Trees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellas Babies

Reaction score
We are fencing in a new pasture and adding a new barn in another area and we decided to fence in a bit more that will include some planted pines. Does anyone know if this would cause any problems or will it be fine??? TIA
default_smile.png

Should be fine. Put fencing around them or the horses will eat and kill them.

Kill the trees I meant, not the horses.
default_smile.png

And fencing around the trees will help keep them (the horses) from getting full of pine sap! That stuff is sticky and hard to get off.

My ponies have lived amongst the pine trees for well over 20 years and Iv never had any problems
default_smile.png

We have a 5 acre field with white pine and european larch. The pine trees will drop needles and smother the grass in he thickest areas.

We have "limbed the trees" up about as high as 10 feet from the ground allowing some light to come through.

The trees are not fenced to keep the horses away.

I have had some issues from time to time with pine tar on the horses but I am not aware of any health dangers.

We have used the pasture for 20 years.

I would expose them to the pine slowly, I have had diarrhea probems with a couple when first exposed to white pine. They filled their tummies with pine needles. Someone suggested cutting the branches higher that would work or I have raked the fallen needles.

Pine is relatively safe for horses. The needles, ESP. Spruce needles are very high in vitamin c. Of course everything in moderation, too many pine needles can cause digestive upset. As stated, keeping the lowest branches trimmed up high is a great suggestion, the biggest downfall in this region, ticks love the pines, keeping branches well above their heads and bodies (10-15 ft) works well for us.

My horses favorite place to hang in the summer is under the big pine tree. Provides shade and for some reason the flies don't like it so they can take their afternoon nap there without being "bugged".

Latest posts

Back