Horses natural behaviour

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if this is any kind of inconvinience for you guys, but I need some help. Can you give me some examples of natural behaviour in horses??? I know it sounds like an idiotic questions, but I can't think of any habits that horses have.

Thanks for the help

Nigel

Here's a couple of very ruff examples but can you be more specific in what you are looking for?

Horses are a herd animal and prefer to be with another of their own species.

They whinny or nicker to eachother and to us to communicate. If I am late feeding, they will be calling me to come! If some are inside and some are outside, they will call to eachother.

Horses paw the ground usually means impatience, that they want something. Example: a horse is tied up being groomed and begins to paw. Usually means to hurry up because he doesn't want to stand there tied up anymore.

If a horse pricks their ears forward and fixates it on something, they are listening and watching something closely and paying attention.

If a horse lays thier ears flat back against their head they are really mad.

Here is a little link for you:

http://www.equine-behavior.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Welcome to the forum!!

Go here for TONS of info on horse behavior....

MarvWalker.com

This site has so much info on behavior that a person can't absorb it all at once. It's just great. Scroll down the page to "commentaries" or "herd dynamics" or possibly "other sites that deliver." There's soooooooooo much. Have fun & again, welcome! -- karen

Nigel?

Hope this is a school project? lol You've got some great links there so I won't add anything now. Let me know how it goes. Now back to class! See ya at the barn.

Sandy

Hey you guys, thanks for those sites. I've been around horses most of my life but I bet I"ll still learn a few things when I get at reading them, I book marked them for now. As much as I"m on this computer and looking for more knowledge, I have never come across these two sites.
biggrin.gif

Another behavior I see all the time is two horses standing facing each other, scratching each others necks. I've noticed they love it when I scratch this area too! Linda

Latest posts

Back