Horses and grass clippings??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
I have been told Horses shouldnt have grass clippings? How long is that? I mean if you mow a pasture-its too big ( 1 acre) for just the 2 minis I have-how long before you can put them on it??

I keep telling my husband we just need MORE minis-LOL then they would beable to keep up with it...

But until we get more we will have to mow it, so my 2 boys dont founder or BLOW UP!! Ha

When we lived in Clifornia, we would never let the horses eat grass clippings that had been dumped on the trail. However here, we mow the fields and never take the horses off... Even the big TB farms will leave horses on freshly mowed fields. I cannot remember now what the difference was, but we've not had a problem. Maybe they have more of a chance to ferment when sitting in the bag of a push mower than when they are instantly spread on the field by a ride on...

when i had the luxury of a pasture, i had it mowed a couple of times each summer. i think the danger of grass clippings is when they are fed in a "pile" or a big clump. if the grass is mowed, the horses cannot take big honkin' mouthfuls of it. my pasture was 7 acres. by the end of the second day, all of the mowed grass was pretty much dried up so it never presented a problem.

however, the one time i drove up to find a neighbor dumping an entire bag of WET grass clippings over the fence, i went ballistic!

Thanks, both of you. I was thinking the same, if we mow it and it is dry and not in piles staying damp-that it ought to be ok.

I am still telling my hubby , we just need MORE minis, then he wont have to mow!!
default_wink.png

He said I can have all the minis I want, only after we build another barn, I dont have the money for the barn and the horses!

When we mow, we try pick a windy day so the clippings will blow off and I close off that field for a few days. Another reason to have a spare field to rotate.
default_saludando.gif

I have a Dry lot and another little less than a 1/2 acre grass paddock they can be in while the clippings are fresh. I just wanted to be sure I didnt do anything to hurt their tummies or tootsies...

Latest posts

Back