Ponies and grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel953

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to my anxiety-ridden self just what the go is with ponies and grass.... is it different types of grass they can't have? Like growth, grass species, thick, mushy, what?
There's nothing in their smallish paddock cause they've eaten it out but plenty in my house yard as i don't like to mow. She's my first mini and I'm terrified of her getting laminitis...
Any advice and help appreciated, thanks.
I know my big guy would be alright but i feel bad for leaving pony in the paddock with nothing to chew on... I'm getting a round bale for them to have 24/7 but that's next week... thank you

Attachments

• 20211028_105234.jpg
    20211028_105234.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 7
It's not the species of the grass (although that can have an effect depending on the environment it's growing in), it's the sugars in the grass. In general, stressed grass can be higher in sugar, so whether that stress is from overgrazing, drought, cold nights, or whatever, it can cause high sugars. Sugars are highest in the afternoon on sunny days, and will also be higher when the nights are below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Check out safergrass.org for some really helpful info and articles.

Ponies and minis tend to be easy keepers and easy keepers often have some degree of insulin resistance and can therefore be sensitive to sugar levels in their food and some can't have any grass at all. If you have the ability to dry lot your pony, I would do it, since then you don't have to worry or guess whether today's grass is OK for her! You could also consider putting a grazing muzzle on her for turnout with your big guy. Or just limit the turnout time to early mornings when it's warm out, and avoid turning out when the grass could be stressed.

She might also blow up like a tick on a round bale, just fair warning. ;) Good on you for thinking about this ahead of time though - it's way way easier to manage this preemptively than after there is a problem.

Thank you for your input. She's doing pretty well on a roundbale so far. I don't have the option of turn out and dry lot or anything like that unfortunately. Might consider a grazing muzzle though, she's got electric fences worked out, if she's quick the zap isnt bad 🙄😤
Might just have to leave her in their dead paddock when i take big fella out for my yard mowing. I had this 1acre paddock made for my horse when i started working for a dairy farm, guess they wanna keep me... and yeah they've made short work of it. She's in good condition, QH is on a strict hard feed so have started giving her general pony pellets, chaff, pincha salt and dribble of flaxseed oil so she's not left out at feed time... horses are hard...

Ha ha, minis can be a bit like goats - it hurts just as much to go through as stay in so might as well explore the world! Also their winter coats are so think, the electric is a bit less of a deterrent in cold weather...

Sounds like she's doing fine. :)

Well is hot spring like weather here now, though with some chilly nights where they are rugged cause is also quite windy too.
I've tried so hard to fence off bits and pieces but she doesn't respect them... even 3 strand elec tape, nope, lasts a few days and that's it, knocked over, tangled whatever hahaha

I don't blame you for being anxiety ridden....I've been treated like I'm overreacting or being overly cautious ("paranoid" is actually the word used) when I insist on people closing the gates EVERY TIME, even if they are going right back through them, or regarding feeding.
I don't think you can be too cautious when it comes to laminitis....it's not only excruciating, it can be life threatening.

(My sister in law had a horse that foundered. I wasn't around when it initially happened, but started to work for their company about a year later....he was still recovering....special shoeing, bute, and other medications...abscesses,.....it was heartbreaking watching him hobble around on his bad days. I don't ever want to see a horse go through that again).

Hi Mel953 , I recommend the Roma brand muzzle which you should be able to get here in Australia.

Capriole- I couldn't have said it better myself , Its not until you watch a horse try to move and hobble that it really sits you on your backside and makes you realize how debilitating it really is.

Having had one of my little ones nearly founder a few years ago now, I am now the grass police and proud of it.

Latest posts

Back