Horse Trailer Camera

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I am going to install a surveillance camera in my horse trailer this coming year, I guess I am looking for tips, camera options and exactly how the heck you would do this?

If you have done this, could you tell me exactly how you went about doing this?

Thanks!

I have installed camera's in the last 2 trailers that I have owned. I normally use the back up camera's for your vehicles that are wireless. They are very easy to install and easy to use.

l use one of the wireless cam heads from the barn we use for foaling season and plug it into the outlet by the door inside the trailer...my foaling cam came with a 8" monitor which l never used in the house so just plug that into the outlet inside the truck put it on the seat and turn it on whenever want to see whats going on back there....that's the poor mans way to go lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Leeana,

Wish I had known you were thinking about getting a camera in the trailer, you could have looked at mine.

I bought the Trailer Eyes system from Big Dees http://www.bigdweb.com/TRAILER-EYES-WIRELESS-MONITORING-SYSTEM/productinfo/9290/ while it is not perfect, and there is a learning curve to finding the "right" placement for picture it has been worth the money, around $200(on sale right now) much cheeper than some of the trailer monitors out there. I plan on having mine hardwired into the trailer wireing in the future as this is a portable unit that runs on batteries (which do not last long). It does come the the equipment to hardwire. The one thing that I don't like about it is that the entenna has a wire that slaps the truck as your going down the road which drives me batty as I constantly listen for any weird noises, and the wire can get in the way of passengers getting in and out of the vehicle, if your by yourself it is fine. You can get some strange pick ups sometimes (like the time that I looked in the mirror and saw cars instead of the inside of the trailer, talk about doing a double take thinking the trailer door had opened somehow). However for the few "issues" that I have had with it, it gives me a clear signal most of the time even in a major downpour storm, I have a 5 horse mini trailer that I can see 95% of, it has night vision so its clear when it is darker in the trailer, and I have never regretted buying it. The camera unit is wireless and the monitor plugs into your cig lighter, it installs very quickly (once you figure out the placement on the truck and trailer).

Melissa I will check that out! I have an 8 pony slant load and since I will be hauling mostly all junior ponies next year, and I have deemed a quarter of them suicidal (lol) I would rather be safe than sorry. Mostly since it is just me and myself hauling to shows anymore. I have not bought any camera yet, as I wasn't really sure what to look for exactly. Will check out the link Melissa..

12852_4153650794582_373733867_n.jpg

I use the wirless truck cameras too. First time we ever installed it, we went to a presentation for the horse club and Bentley slipped and fell. If I didnt see him he would be stuck sitting like a dog in the trailer. You wont go wrong getting a camera, I love it.

Ours came from Sams or Walmart, about $100/$150 and comes with a very small 2 or 3" monitor. I wouldn't be without it, gives me some piece of mind hauling down the road. My husband bought one for his truck with a much bigger monitor, but I found it pretty distracting - it's hard enough to not watch it constantly at first anyway lol. The picture tends to come and go, but it's good enough that I can see what's going on back there.

Jan

Latest posts

Back