Horse Health Equine Ivermectin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korinne

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with the product mentioned above?? We used it on our minis and two of them have aborted in the last month.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with Horse Health products.

Thanks

Korinne

I know the paste ivermectin is Very safe, even on pregnant and lactating mares. maybe there is another reason for the abortions???

Im very sorry for your loss!!!

Maybe contact your vet about an autopsy? Is it a certain brand?

Usually the majority of the ingredients are the exact same as everyone else... Ivermectin is approved (as far as I know, I didn't look it up) for pregnant mares so this product SHOULD be safe. Best thing to do is report it to the manufacturer right away, with lot numbers from the tubes.

I am so sorry for the loss of your foals, how heart-rending!

I have been using Ivermectin, in one form or another since it first came onto the market, for all sizes and breeds, including the minis; and have never had a problem with it. I think it possible that it is a coincedence. Had these mares been wormed before, and with what products?

I was told just last week at our feed store that Zimecterin use to be the only brand on the market. I was asking what one is the best brand. They said that Merial that makes Zimecterin, lost the patten for about 5-8 months and that's when all the other brands came out so fast on the market. Now there are several to chose from. They all have the same ingredence so they told me, with the exception of Zimecterin Gold. I have used Zimecterin, IverCare and also Ivermectin and have never had problems with any of them. I also used them with preg, mini mares.

I did however have the Vet come out last month for one of my mines that was acting like she was going to die. She wouldn't eat, drink and didn't have any energy at all. She had her head laying in my lap and just wouldn't get up. The Vet dewormed her, I just had 8 weeks earlier, and that was her problem. You might want to check for worms. That might have been some of your problem.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivermec is Ivermec- unless there is something added or the potency is changes (it is normally 1.87% for horses) there is no reason why it should cause any harm whatsoever.

I think I would be looking at my worming schedule not the ingredient.

Either way I am very sorry this has happened to you- it could , of course, just be pure, unhappy coincidence.

Have used ivermectin for YEARS without ever a problem at all on pg mares, old, young- all horses.

I would look into another reason for the abortions- something they should not be eating? Or something that has been done differently that could affect a pregnancy.

So sorry about the loss of the foals!

I know you are looking for something to explain the abortions, but I really find it hard to believe that it would be due to the ivermectin. When exactly did you deworm the mares with this particular product, and when did they abort?

Sorry for your loss hurts l know we lost one not long ago and l don't care l blame it on whatever that was she caught from one of this years shows. We do rotate and use the lvermectin 3 times a year but never have had a problem yet..

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope the mares bounce back. You might consider having a uterine culture done to see if either mare has an infected uterus.

As others have offered, the product probably played no role in the spontanous abortions. I just dewormed all of my horses- 1 bred full size mare, two riding mares and my two mini's with Equimax a couple weeks ago with no problem. It is a stronger dewormer than Ivermectin because it addresses tapeworms in equines. My vet recommends deworming every 8 weeks, rotating products, year round- whether the horse is on 40 acres by itself or stall kept with limited turnout.

Again, very sorry for the losses.

I'm very sorry that your mares lost their foals. And to have both loose them around the same time, would tend to point to something similar as the cause - I would suspect viral - Rhino perhaps? Perhaps something they ingested and it is always possible as well that the fetus was compromised in some way such as infection - there are many possibilities and often you will never find out the real cause. As others have mentioned, you should have your mares cultured and tested prior to rebreeding.

We too deworm all of our adult horses every other month and for at least 4 of those dewormings we use ivermectin - (all different brands but mostly the generic form) - and we are deworming between 25 and 30 pregnant mares each time year after year and at different levels of gestation throughout the year. We have never experienced a problem with mares aborting as the result of being dewormed with ivermectin.

Latest posts

Back