Horse flies eating one of my geldings up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
Flies and Horse Flies are bad but out of all my horses my one sorrel and white gelding is being eat up. I have tried all kinds of fly sprays store bought and home made nothing is working for my poor Max. Someone told me to try garlic in his feed and I did that tonight but he wouldnt hardly eat his feed. Any other ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several companies are now making stuff for horses similar to dog products. Spot On is one and Equi-spot is another.Goes on down the back &on backs of legs from kness&hocks down.Can re do in 2 weeks.I got almost 4 weeks from 1 application and just re did 1 horse.Great success here.My 1 pinto had bloody legs from flies-not this year.Key ingredient is premethin(sp?)Got does for all my Minis.Hope it works for you-avaviable at many tack&feed stores&catalogs.comes 3 tubes in 1 pkg.

Here too! I think these things are immune to normal bug spray because I have every kind known to man and they are still on the attack. I have done garlic in the past for a full 2 years and there is still no scientific proof that it does anything so I'm not wasting another dime on it. Lately they are coming out in full force and are trying to kill my quarter horse! Are your fields kept mowed down? That helps. I keep mine down to the nubs. My horses are in the barn under fans during peak time any way due to the heat. Heck, they don't want to be out there getting tormented my those blood sucking beasts and with the hot sun, forget the great out of doors right now. All I can tell you is to bring them in the barn too and blast all the fans you have. They don't come in there.

Try War Paint. It looks like a deodorant stick and you wipe it on in stripes on the body, legs and face. We use it on our broodmares and as the foals rub on the moms they get some on them too. It works great for the belly button area too. It last about a week. Just be aware that when you first put it on, it does not seem like it is working, but by the next day you will notice a lot less flies on them at all.

I was using freedome - like top line for dogs put on every 2 weeks, it worked on mine But my mini's were not happy when i put it on them. i just switched to BUG OFF it is a garlic form powder/grit you to dress there food. Co says please allow 2 weeks for it to start working, well I could see in 7 days it was working. co said to sprinkle a little on the food to get started and slowly bump it up. I googled it before i bought it and the reviews were good. I am happy after 7 days.. at 1st i didnt think they would eat there food, now they even lick the powder & they dont leave a spot LOL The fly's are bad this year it must be the heat. I also have fans on that seems to help to, i have even seen a bee just bugging the heck out of mine, just 1 bee that would not leave them alone - it wouldnt land on them, just hovered inches from there skin... Poor things

My appaloosa has the same problem on his white socks. I put SWAT on them. He does hang his head in shame as it is bright pink but it seems to work. SWAT is an anticeptic with fly repelant in it so it helps with the bites.

Here too! I think these things are immune to normal bug spray because I have every kind known to man and they are still on the attack. I have done garlic in the past for a full 2 years and there is still no scientific proof that it does anything so I'm not wasting another dime on it. Lately they are coming out in full force and are trying to kill my quarter horse! Are your fields kept mowed down? That helps. I keep mine down to the nubs. My horses are in the barn under fans during peak time any way due to the heat. Heck, they don't want to be out there getting tormented my those blood sucking beasts and with the hot sun, forget the great out of doors right now. All I can tell you is to bring them in the barn too and blast all the fans you have. They don't come in there.

We keep it bushhogged around here and my yard is mowed. There is a ver grown field behind my pastures but it doesnt belong to us so theres not much i can do. The old lady that own it cant keep it up anymore. My hubby is going to ask her if he can bushhog it for her just so maybe that will cut down on the horse flies. It seem to be 10 time worse this yr. Nothing i working. Max is my sorrel and White paint and there killing him but our minis and the other big horses arent as bad. I wonder if itss that red and white color drawing the flies to him. Either that or he is just to sweet.LOL! I feel so bad for him.

Try War Paint. It looks like a deodorant stick and you wipe it on in stripes on the body, legs and face. We use it on our broodmares and as the foals rub on the moms they get some on them too. It works great for the belly button area too. It last about a week. Just be aware that when you first put it on, it does not seem like it is working, but by the next day you will notice a lot less flies on them at all.

never tried it but its worth a try

Years ago we used to put apple cider vinegar in our big horses feed.

Not sure why I don't do it for the minis although flies aren't a big

issue here most days.

Mix in with some corn oil (good for coat) and make like a salad dressing

and pour over their feed or hay, starting out in small amounts and increasing

till you see progress.

The theory is, like with the garlic, that it makes the blood unplatable to insects

like flies and mosqitoes.

We have a mare with white socks, the fly spray only lasts about 15 minutes, so after I wash her legs, I do this three times a week, I wrap them with vet wrap, then coat the whole thing with swat, I use the clear swat. We say she has her summer braclets on. My daughter has a grey mare right now that has rubbed sores on her muzzle from knats, I will need to put swat on her too. The bugs are so bad this year and are also distroying our garden, usually by this time of year I'm canning away for winter, but not this year. They are bad in the house too, I need to spray every other day because of stupid ants, and not the usual ants that go after sweets, but ants that eat anything. Also fruit flies are driving me crazy in the bath room of all places. I hate summer almost as much as I hate winter, and I so hate bugs.

TRY NU-STOCK I GET FROM FEED STORE. PUT ON AREAS WHERE BITES ARE WILL STOP THE PROBLEM. I USE ON EVERYONE AROUND HERE GOOD STUFF.

Back