Horse at Target?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire N Ice

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the loose horse that went to Target? I'd like to know how it all turned out.

Sue Baskin

Rosa Roca Training Stables

Newalla, OK

Last edited by a moderator:
Sue, in talking to Lana (our fantastic Security Lady) she saw the bay loose outside the barn area and started after him on the golf car, he managed to make his way through the race track and out the only gate that was open. He crossed Yale without getting hit. Lana said that she almost got hit trying to cross on the golf car. The folks at Target got him corraled and she managed to get him back to the barn area. He was given a stall with the Longman's until his owner retrieved him.

We all decided he wanted to visit Target and see what "Blue Light" specials he could find. He definitely is on lucky boy. That is for sure.

We sure kept an eye on a horse down the aisle from us as the owner left their doors open with a very short gate across the stall front and a lead rope strung across the top a little above the tiny gate. That horse was always trying the door to see if he could jump out.

Glad he was ok. We all wondered what happened to him and who he was.

Yep, we all wondered what happened to him! I checked with our security lady the morning after and she told me all was well and he was home in his stall. How in the world that little guy got through all that traffic and didn't get hurt was a big miracle!

Can you just imagine the look of shock and disbelief on the faces of the drivers in all that traffic? After it is all over and done, and he is okay, I have laughed about those drivers!

Oh, and the security lady told me she was thinking about retiring. She has been there 21 years, and loves our little ones. I told her to take a reverse vacation if she did retire, and come to work for the time the Nationals were going on. She said she would think about that, that it was a good idea!

The horse that escaped belonged to of all people, the McCarthys!! :new_shocked: In speaking with them, they actually thought someone had played a joke on them when they saw the horse missing. Had no clue for several hours that he went "shopping"!

LOL ... i guess i could see how someone might play a joke and take it as such..lol still pretty funny..... lol i love those McCarthy horses.. hehe should have gone and said "hey it's mine" ...LOL

We heard it was Lee's horse and not McCarthy's, we were stalled in that area were the loose horse escaped, but we did find a Michigan gray mare of MCarthy's grazing hay in the walkway and we put her back in and told elderly Ed McCarthy that she was loose and if you watched her, she wiggled the latch with her nose and undone the gate herself so we had to tie it shut with a lead rope, smart horse...

One of our clients was passing by at the time - they loaded him up and brought him back to the barns. The horse stayed with us, had dinner and a drink, until he was safely returned to his owners. He was an amazing boy, but really did know how to work that flip latch!

There was a bay pinto that we had to put in SEVERAL times across from us- he figured out how to flip that latch on the stall pretty quickly and let himself out. Didnt seem interested in going far (but you never know!) and we finally had to buckle his halter around the top to keep him from getting out.

We heard about the Target shopper- glad he got back to his owner safely!!

We have so many expert "escape artists" here that even if it may look tacky, we always tie all our stalls with a rope shank.

i think if mine were in those stalls for more than a week they'd probably figure them out too! i kept looking at them all week thinking "one little nudge" lol... mine tend to be escapee's at home....does amaze me they don't figure it out in a full week! lol maybe it didn't occur to them since the latches are pretty high for them. i'm surprised anyone puts big horses in those stalls too and is comfortable with them staying in! lol I know my old mare would be out of that in a heartbeat!

Back