Hoping someone can help me find the breeder or previous owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARK Ranch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After reading all the talk about people not transfer horses I can see why I have a miniature I am trying to get some information on so I can register him. I would like to find the history on this little guy. I hope to keep him as a standing stud.

I personal think he is a nice looking miniature and has nice color. We breed Tobiano Paints here, and little guys fits right in.

I brought him knowing there was no papers, but I was hoping on getting at lest a previous owner's name. I am unable to get that from the people I brought him from. So I am going to try connecting with miniature horse breeders in the Oregon area and possible California to find where this guy came from.

I do have pictures posted here - http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22364804 . If anyone thinks they know where this little guy came from, I would really appreciate it if you could contact me or leave a message.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
default_smile.png

littleguyhead3small3.jpg

How tall is he? Did you get coggins papers with him? You can sometimes get info from that. Why won't the people you got him from give you any info?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea who your horse is, but just a point of reference for people buying unregistered horses. I raise and sell registered Miniature Horses. Uncle Sam expects me to try to make a profit. Occasionally I sell some colts as pets, without registration, for a greatly reduced price. If that colt changes hands, I am not willing to give registration papers free of charge on a breeding stallion. On a gelding, yes, but a breeding stallion, no. People wanting breeding stock need to go to a reputable breeder and pay a reasonable price for breeding stock rather than thinking they can pick one up for next to nothing then track down papers.

If you (you being generic, not referring to any one individual) do find an outstanding unregistered horse, that matures at less than 34 inches, you can pay the hardship fees ($600 for mare and $1200 for stallion) plus inspection fees and get them registered with AMHA. OR, you can just go buy a good registered horse to begin with.

I know many will not agree with me, but as with any product, if there is no opportunity for profit, there will be no incentive to improve. Capitalism has proven to be the most productive system in the world and has produced the most advances of any system in the world.

he is a very nice looking boy, you might want to post better pics, you have the option to hardship before 2013. or why not just register him pinto?

sorry i don't recognize him

angel
default_saludando.gif

I have no idea who your horse is, but just a point of reference for people buying unregistered horses. I raise and sell registered Miniature Horses. Uncle Sam expects me to try to make a profit. Occasionally I sell some colts as pets, without registration, for a greatly reduced price. If that colt changes hands, I am not willing to give registration papers free of charge on a breeding stallion. On a gelding, yes, but a breeding stallion, no. People wanting breeding stock need to go to a reputable breeder and pay a reasonable price for breeding stock rather than thinking they can pick one up for next to nothing then track down papers.
If you (you being generic, not referring to any one individual) do find an outstanding unregistered horse, that matures at less than 34 inches, you can pay the hardship fees ($600 for mare and $1200 for stallion) plus inspection fees and get them registered with AMHA. OR, you can just go buy a good registered horse to begin with.

I know many will not agree with me, but as with any product, if there is no opportunity for profit, there will be no incentive to improve. Capitalism has proven to be the most productive system in the world and has produced the most advances of any system in the world.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Well Said

Without any info, I think you will be lucky if you find out any info on him at all. Are you sure he was even from the west coast area? Who did YOU get him from? Any papers through your agriculture department if he was brought in by them from out of state?

Songcatcher, I pretty much agree with you there.

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Songcatcher - I do understand I can hardship him if I wish, but I wanted to get some info on him if I can. I like to know the history on a horse, it is nice to know. I am not looking for anything free. I breed Tobiano Paints and came across this guy and liked his personality so much decided to buy him. I am not here to step on anyone's toes as far as breeding is concerned. I am just looking for someone who may know this horse or previous owner or breeder. Thank you for you post.

lilstars - thank you - he is a cutie and his personality is even better. I plan on working with kids and he will do great with them. I am not sure exactly were he came from. I am trying to get a name from the person I bought him from. I will try the agriculture department, thank you. I am also contacting a person in the branding department my husband knows. I got him from a locate person here who is unable to give me a lot of info, so that has raised some questions. But, I am going to stay positive and hope we come across someone who knows him. Thank you for you help. :)

luv2ridesidesaddle - he is just under 30 inches. I had him tested for coggins before I bought him home. They had him for a short time and did not test him or did not know if he had been tested. They say it is because they don't know the previous owners names. ( My husband and myself do know this may not be true) i am also looking into the Pinto registry. But it is more the history of little guy I am interested in.

I will try and get better pictures LOL - he wanted to just walk over and stand with me. It was hard to get him to stand for my husband.

Thank you everyone for your help.

ARK Ranch, I do welcome you here to the Forum. I hope my comments did not sound offensive to you as an individual. As I mentioned, my references are generic, not to any individual. It is just that we seem to have a weekly post where someone has bought an unregistered horse and is wondering how to get papers on it. The BEST way to get papers on a horse is to BUY a registered horse. Of course, I realize there are exceptions to every rule.

Again, welcome.

Occasionally I sell some colts as pets, without registration, for a greatly reduced price. If that colt changes hands, I am not willing to give registration papers free of charge on a breeding stallion. On a gelding, yes, but a breeding stallion, no. People wanting breeding stock need to go to a reputable breeder and pay a reasonable price for breeding stock rather than thinking they can pick one up for next to nothing then track down papers.
One way to ensure your "pet quality" colts don't end-up in this situation...geld them before you sell. To sell ungelded horses at pet prices, is like condoning the breeding of unregistered horses. I feel that mini-folks don't geld enough of the registered horses...but for goodness sakes, why would we not at LEAST geld the unregistered ones??!!??
default_no.gif
default_unsure.png

default_aktion033.gif

This is not intended to be directed towards any one person, but in general I am tired of seeing ads from people looking for breeding stock from rescues, doing self proclaimed rescues from auctions and non reputable breeders then searching high and low for possible papers that may or may not exist in hopes to produce registerable offspring.

Rescues are rescues and if the poor thing is in foal when rescued so be it, deal with the outcome, but should not be used as a future broodmare, rescued stallions should be gelded,period, ....and horses purchased without papers may have not had papers issued for a reason in the first place, if that was the deal up front accept it. If the horse had outdated papers sent along with it, then it is a different story. Just buy from someone on the up and up to begin with, it doesn't have to be an ultra exclusive farm, just someone who has their act together and is reputable.

Flame away....

ARK Ranch,

I just wanted to say I really like your little stallion and can see why you would like to get papers on him.

I hope you are successful!

Susan O.

ARK Ranch,
I just wanted to say I really like your little stallion and can see why you would like to get papers on him.

I hope you are successful!

Susan O.

I agree! I know how you feel...I ended up buying a colt a few years back that had been purchased from an auction. I wanted to know what kind of environment he had come from, or basically anything I could find out about him. I never was able to track down the information. Hopefully you'll have more luck.

Rescues are rescues and if the poor thing is in foal when rescued so be it, deal with the outcome, but should not be used as a future broodmare, rescued stallions should be gelded,period,
Just because a horse is a rescue doesn't affect how good (or bad) an animal it is. It is not just the pet quality and culls that get neglected...not only the unregistered and common creatures..uh-uh...starvation and neglect hits the well bred and refined just as hard. Why on earth would you geld or never breed a stallion or mare once it has been rescued and brought back to good health...IF, it is a well put together animal that has what it takes to be a breeding animal? I do heartily agree there should be no breeding if you cannot get the papers, or don't want to spend the $$ to get it hardshipped though.

A very good friend of mine has a beautiful little mare which she rescued (among others) a few years ago. The mare was a yearling when she was taken from the former owners by the SPCA, and RCMP, and was so emanciated she could hardly stand. With determination, and a lot of luck (the filly had been advertised for sale, and I had a ped search done on her) the original owner/breeder was contacted, and luckily for my friend, the mare was still in her name. That mare is now hale-n-hearty, properly registered and is bred to foal next spring. She is bred to the nines...has a pedigree to die for, and looks to take your breath away. Why should she not be bred just because she was rescued from a negligent owner?

Rescues are rescues and if the poor thing is in foal when rescued so be it, deal with the outcome, but should not be used as a future broodmare, rescued stallions should be gelded,period,
Just because a horse is a rescue doesn't affect how good (or bad) an animal it is. It is not just the pet quality and culls that get neglected...not only the unregistered and common creatures..uh-uh...starvation and neglect hits the well bred and refined just as hard. Why on earth would you geld or never breed a stallion or mare once it has been rescued and brought back to good health...IF, it is a well put together animal that has what it takes to be a breeding animal? I do heartily agree there should be no breeding if you cannot get the papers, or don't want to spend the $$ to get it hardshipped though.

A very good friend of mine has a beautiful little mare which she rescued (among others) a few years ago. The mare was a yearling when she was taken from the former owners by the SPCA, and RCMP, and was so emanciated she could hardly stand. With determination, and a lot of luck (the filly had been advertised for sale, and I had a ped search done on her) the original owner/breeder was contacted, and luckily for my friend, the mare was still in her name. That mare is now hale-n-hearty, properly registered and is bred to foal next spring. She is bred to the nines...has a pedigree to die for, and looks to take your breath away. Why should she not be bred just because she was rescued from a negligent owner?
Typically rescues have had a rough road, in my eyes they deserve to have a loving family environment and not be used for profit. No one would dare go to an SPCA, find a purebred dog and expect to get papers for it and take it home to breed (that's why they are spayed or nuetered regardless of the pedigree). It has nothing at all to do with how nice of an animal they are but more so that it has already paid its dues and should not be used for profit.

Be sure to check with members of AMHA clubs in Oregon and California. You may want to join one or both, if you haven't already.

It has nothing at all to do with how nice of an animal they are but more so that it has already paid its dues and should not be used for profit.
I think MOST broodmares have "paid thier dues" long before many people allow them the rest they deserve...and then hear of far too many older broodmares being sold once they are too old to carry a foal. Those are the horses that generally get sadly neglected.

I find nothing at all wrong with bringing a young, otherwise healthy horse back from a neglectful situation and breeding it. Well taken care of, the horse will live a long healthy life, hopefully well into it's 30's...and I don't see a foal or two affecting that at all.

Hi ARK Ranch and welcome.

Hello to everyone else also.

I for one have done a few registration paper searchs for CMHR horses. Not for breeding purposes, but for show purposes as an extra incentive to help get our horses adopted.

This is Tina, a young shetland who in fact does come from registered stock. I have tracked her until I was blue in the face for months only to find that her deceased owner dropped the ball early on in his breeding program and never kept up with any paperwork and I was dead ended.

We have had Tina in foster care for several months with Teresa and Art who got her back on her feet and taught her the basics. Then she went to another foster home for advanced training and now she also rides and drives.

Doesn't anyone think that for a $200. adoption fee this horse with papers would be a wonderful show prospect? I certainly do, but the fact remains that without papers, she remains in CMHR foster care now for over a year and a half and no one wants her even if we teach her to stand on her head and sell apples. Having papers on her may have made the difference. Not sure of course, but it would have sweetend the pot.

Love to all.

Tina1.png

WOW MARTY!!!

Absolutely well said, if i had the 200 i would have snagged her, was wondering how she was doing, had not heard anything on her. She looks great, i beleive everything you said is an absolutely valid point.. i know alot of people that have rescues (and pets) that have searched and fought for papers on those deserving horses ( the pets aren't pet quality very nice horses just people that do not know what they had), some get them some don't. i have a horse rite now sold as a show gelding with a bad bite. ok bad bite not so bad but he did not even come close to show quality with 4 club feet and aweful head and conformation, (i did not buy this horse, bought for my daughter) shame they paid all this money for a show horse and not get one but hey he has papers!! guess that makes him ok..

I cannot believe someone hasn't snatched Tina up, registered or not. $200 for a broke to ride and drive pony is a steal. If she were closer to me, I'd be tempted to take her myself since I haven't gotten mine broke to drive yet.

Good luck in your search. I would definately check some local clubs in the areas you're looking in. Someone might recognize him (and although there are a ton of people one here, its not even close to touching the amount of people in the mini horse world). Maybe also post on local classifieds to see if someone recognizes him. I bought my first mini from a meat auction. Tracked the owner down. I more wanted his health info, etc. Was sold to me as a 2 year old unreg. stallion. He was more in the range of 4-5. 10 years later, he's still here. But it was nice to ask them what they had done with him and such (which was nothing. Bought as a present for their granddaughter and she didn't want him. Poor guy., lucky me. Best $60 I ever spent!). I still track down breeders and previous owners of my reg. horses. I just like to know history and breeders love to hear how their babies are doing.

You can always hardship him into the pinto association and make a nice show horse out of him. Its fairly inexpensive and worth it if there are shows in your area.

Latest posts

Back